It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 11:11

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 163

Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Nov 2017, 21:48
Hi Experts,

I am planning to retake the exam by the end of this month after my poor performance on the actual GMAT 640 (Q48, V30) last month.

Prior to the test my mock scores were:

GMAT Prep 6- 710 (Q49, V 37) 3 days before the exam (Never took this exam in the past)
GMAT Prep 4- 720 (Q49, V 38) 1 week before the exam (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)
GMAT Prep 3- 680 (Q48, V35) 2 weeks before exam, (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)

Exam day perform​ance:

Verbal: The verbal section was very similar to the mocks but the distribution of questions was a bit different. I got most of the SC during the beginning of the exam and all the CR and RC at the end. Maybe due to this I messed up with the timing. So, I had to guess last 7 questions out of which 3 were RC and 4 were CR and maybe got all wrong. I feel this lead to my poor verbal score. I am comfortable with SC and CR but RC performance varies day to day. I am aiming for V36+

Quant: The quant section was much difficult than I have encountered on any of the mock exams. However, I think Q 49-50 is achievable.

As the R1 deadlines were almost over, I gave myself a break of 2 weeks and have started to prepare again to apply in R2. I have started giving some mocks the scores of which are listed below:

MGMAT 1: 660 (Q46, V34)
GMAT Club test: Q 47
GMAT Prep1: 690 (Q47, V37)
GMAT Prep2: 620 (Q49, V27) :cry:

Now it seems my mock scores are all over the place. I am having trouble completing verbal on time. My weakest area RC has worsen and CR is also deteriorating and time consumption on the SC has increased. Moreover, I think that the

Some extra info: I have been studying for the GMAT for the past 3+ years (This was my third attempt) and want to certainly apply to the business schools this time around (with the best possible score). I started at a mock score that was something around mid 400, have subscribed and covered variety of materials and courses available in the market, so I have already come a long way. However, after putting in so much time, effort and investment, it would be a shame to not end up with a 700+ score. After all it's an adaptive exam. So a 700+ score is certainly possible. Kindly Help!!
Attachments

File comment: ESR
ESR.pdf [389.56 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kudos if you like my post

Kudos [?]: 123 [0], given: 163

Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8969 [0], given: 111

Re: Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 16:53
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am planning to retake the exam by the end of this month after my poor performance on the actual GMAT 640 (Q48, V30) last month.

Prior to the test my mock scores were:

GMAT Prep 6- 710 (Q49, V 37) 3 days before the exam (Never took this exam in the past)
GMAT Prep 4- 720 (Q49, V 38) 1 week before the exam (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)
GMAT Prep 3- 680 (Q48, V35) 2 weeks before exam, (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)

Exam day perform​ance:

Verbal: The verbal section was very similar to the mocks but the distribution of questions was a bit different. I got most of the SC during the beginning of the exam and all the CR and RC at the end. Maybe due to this I messed up with the timing. So, I had to guess last 7 questions out of which 3 were RC and 4 were CR and maybe got all wrong. I feel this lead to my poor verbal score. I am comfortable with SC and CR but RC performance varies day to day. I am aiming for V36+

Quant: The quant section was much difficult than I have encountered on any of the mock exams. However, I think Q 49-50 is achievable.

As the R1 deadlines were almost over, I gave myself a break of 2 weeks and have started to prepare again to apply in R2. I have started giving some mocks the scores of which are listed below:

MGMAT 1: 660 (Q46, V34)
GMAT Club test: Q 47
GMAT Prep1: 690 (Q47, V37)
GMAT Prep2: 620 (Q49, V27) :cry:

Now it seems my mock scores are all over the place. I am having trouble completing verbal on time. My weakest area RC has worsen and CR is also deteriorating and time consumption on the SC has increased. Moreover, I think that the

Some extra info: I have been studying for the GMAT for the past 3+ years (This was my third attempt) and want to certainly apply to the business schools this time around (with the best possible score). I started at a mock score that was something around mid 400, have subscribed and covered variety of materials and courses available in the market, so I have already come a long way. However, after putting in so much time, effort and investment, it would be a shame to not end up with a 700+ score. After all it's an adaptive exam. So a 700+ score is certainly possible. Kindly Help!!

Dear anurag16,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

The first thing I will say, my friend, is consider how your language sounds. Many students on GC would dream of getting a 640. I understand it's not what you want and that you are more ambitious---that's great! By all means, push on toward higher and higher scores. Simply be aware that when think you are being self-disparaging, you might also be unintentionally insulting someone else.

I would suggest reading this blog and the linked blogs very carefully:
Lower on the Real GMAT than on Practice Tests

As you consider a retake, I think it's clear that you are very gifted in math. Yes, continue to practice math, but of course the big difference maker is how much you can improve your verbal score. Here, I have hard medicine for you: develop a daily habit of reading. Read for 1 hour every day--that's an additional hour, above and beyond any GMAT-specific work you do. Find challenging material in English, on subjects you don't understand very well, and force yourself to read through them. See this blog:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8969 [0], given: 111

Re: Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2017, 16:53

Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap