GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 26 Apr 2018, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User
Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Experts,

I am planning to retake the exam by the end of this month after my poor performance on the actual GMAT 640 (Q48, V30) last month.

Prior to the test my mock scores were:

GMAT Prep 6- 710 (Q49, V 37) 3 days before the exam (Never took this exam in the past)
GMAT Prep 4- 720 (Q49, V 38) 1 week before the exam (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)
GMAT Prep 3- 680 (Q48, V35) 2 weeks before exam, (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)

Exam day perform​ance:

Verbal: The verbal section was very similar to the mocks but the distribution of questions was a bit different. I got most of the SC during the beginning of the exam and all the CR and RC at the end. Maybe due to this I messed up with the timing. So, I had to guess last 7 questions out of which 3 were RC and 4 were CR and maybe got all wrong. I feel this lead to my poor verbal score. I am comfortable with SC and CR but RC performance varies day to day. I am aiming for V36+

Quant: The quant section was much difficult than I have encountered on any of the mock exams. However, I think Q 49-50 is achievable.

As the R1 deadlines were almost over, I gave myself a break of 2 weeks and have started to prepare again to apply in R2. I have started giving some mocks the scores of which are listed below:

MGMAT 1: 660 (Q46, V34)
GMAT Club test: Q 47
GMAT Prep1: 690 (Q47, V37)
GMAT Prep2: 620 (Q49, V27) :cry:

Now it seems my mock scores are all over the place. I am having trouble completing verbal on time. My weakest area RC has worsen and CR is also deteriorating and time consumption on the SC has increased. Moreover, I think that the

Some extra info: I have been studying for the GMAT for the past 3+ years (This was my third attempt) and want to certainly apply to the business schools this time around (with the best possible score). I started at a mock score that was something around mid 400, have subscribed and covered variety of materials and courses available in the market, so I have already come a long way. However, after putting in so much time, effort and investment, it would be a shame to not end up with a 700+ score. After all it's an adaptive exam. So a 700+ score is certainly possible. Kindly Help!!
Attachments

File comment: ESR
ESR.pdf [389.56 KiB]
Downloaded 27 times

To download please login or register as a user

Kudos if you like my post

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170
Re: Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 14:51
Hi anurag16,

Since you've now taken the GMAT 3 times, before we can discuss how to improve on this recent Official Score, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What were your 3 Scores on your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each?)
2) How long did you consistently study before each attempt at the GMAT?
3) What study materials did you use for each attempt?
4) What is your goal score?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 18:41
Top Contributor
Hi Anurag,

Many face the issues/ anxiety on the exam day. Since you have your ESR- Focus on the area's you need to improve. I see CR and RC are where you need to improve further.

Based on the ESR- SC score was equivalent to 39. But your RC(primary cause) and CR(secondary) pulled your score down drastically.

I would suggest you to start reading from Economist, NYTimes etc. Also read from Aldaily. These sources contain best writings, which you would see on the GMAT. You can do the following when you read from these sources.

Also, side by side, solve the questions from OG.

1. Come up with tone, main point, the purpose of each paragraph of the article.
2. Summarize those points and see whether your reasoning of the main point of the article aligns with the title of the article.
3. Note all key points.

These 3 steps will improve drastically improve your reading capacity.

Also don't forget to practice SC and Quant. You can improve further to get 90+ percentile in SC and Q50 or Q51 in Quant. For Quant focus on DS- You are just above median percentile for DS. This can improve your score at least by 1 or 2 points to get you to Q50.

Also, don't care about how many you solve every day. Focus on Quality. Solve 5 questions from each SC and CR. And 2 passages from RC. Total should take you about 30 minutes. But spend at least 10-15 minutes analyzing each problem. Move on to next question only after you grasped all the information. Why correct answer is correct and vice versa. Not just correct/wrong. But the specific details of what made this option wrong.

Start asking 5 WHY's for each questions. Use an error log to maintain the details of those 5 Why's.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2017, 20:34
According to your ESR, your average timing per RC question is about half a minute above the ideal. You overspent time on the first half of the exam and rushed through the second half. Your SC score 39 is good for a V36, but you will need to really address your timing issues on RC to break through your current score.

Source: We are an NYC based, in-person and online GMAT tutoring company. We are the only GMAT provider in the world to guarantee specific GMAT scores with our flat-fee tutoring packages, or to publish student score increase rates. Our typical new-to-GMAT student score increase rate is 3-9 points per tutoring hour, the fastest in the world. Feel free to ask us a question!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 00:07
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi anurag16,

Since you've now taken the GMAT 3 times, before we can discuss how to improve on this recent Official Score, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) What were your 3 Scores on your Official GMATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each?) 2014->570(44,27); 2016->620(47,30); 2017->640(48,30)
2) How long did you consistently study before each attempt at the GMAT? 6-8 months
3) What study materials did you use for each attempt? [color=#00ffff]I have completed all the official ques, MGMAT guides and various courses (EmpowerGMAT, Magoosh, EGmat, ExpertsGlobal, Jamboree-Classroom course). All have been helpful for me to go from 400 in the mocks to now 700. But still I am unable to convert the mock performance on the test day.[/color]
4) What is your goal score? 700+

Rich

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

Thanks for the response. The answers to the questions are mentioned above.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 00:18
Gnpth wrote:
Hi Anurag,

Many face the issues/ anxiety on the exam day. Since you have your ESR- Focus on the area's you need to improve. I see CR and RC are where you need to improve further.

Based on the ESR- SC score was equivalent to 39. But your RC(primary cause) and CR(secondary) pulled your score down drastically.

I would suggest you to start reading from Economist, NYTimes etc. Also read from Aldaily. These sources contain best writings, which you would see on the GMAT. You can do the following when you read from these sources.

Also, side by side, solve the questions from OG.

1. Come up with tone, main point, the purpose of each paragraph of the article.
2. Summarize those points and see whether your reasoning of the main point of the article aligns with the title of the article.
3. Note all key points.

These 3 steps will improve drastically improve your reading capacity.

Also don't forget to practice SC and Quant. You can improve further to get 90+ percentile in SC and Q50 or Q51 in Quant. For Quant focus on DS- You are just above median percentile for DS. This can improve your score at least by 1 or 2 points to get you to Q50.

Also, don't care about how many you solve every day. Focus on Quality. Solve 5 questions from each SC and CR. And 2 passages from RC. Total should take you about 30 minutes. But spend at least 10-15 minutes analyzing each problem. Move on to next question only after you grasped all the information. Why correct answer is correct and vice versa. Not just correct/wrong. But the specific details of what made this option wrong.

Start asking 5 WHY's for each questions. Use an error log to maintain the details of those 5 Why's.

Hi Gnpth

Thanks for the response. RC has always been troublesome for me and I would certainly try to use the above mentioned tactic. However, I was really good at CR (never got more than 3 questions wrong in any mock test prior to the exam). Maybe I rushed through the last 4 CR's in the exam and got all wrong. But now I think I am losing that touch in CR and have started to make silly mistakes in the recent mocks. Can it be because of overstudying?

Moreover, how can I improve my timing skills on the verbal section? I struggle to complete the section on time. Thanks in advance.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 00:21
JaeTPU wrote:
According to your ESR, your average timing per RC question is about half a minute above the ideal. You overspent time on the first half of the exam and rushed through the second half. Your SC score 39 is good for a V36, but you will need to really address your timing issues on RC to break through your current score.

Hi JaeTPU

Thanks for your response.
I certainly do believe the same. But how can it be improved in such a short duration of time? I am planning to appear by Nov end or Dec first week.

Intern
Intern
S

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 02:53
anurag16 wrote:
Hi Experts,

I am planning to retake the exam by the end of this month after my poor performance on the actual GMAT 640 (Q48, V30) last month.

Prior to the test my mock scores were:

GMAT Prep 6- 710 (Q49, V 37) 3 days before the exam (Never took this exam in the past)
GMAT Prep 4- 720 (Q49, V 38) 1 week before the exam (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)
GMAT Prep 3- 680 (Q48, V35) 2 weeks before exam, (I have took this mock last year so the scores might be inflated, not sure though)

Exam day perform​ance:

Verbal: The verbal section was very similar to the mocks but the distribution of questions was a bit different. I got most of the SC during the beginning of the exam and all the CR and RC at the end. Maybe due to this I messed up with the timing. So, I had to guess last 7 questions out of which 3 were RC and 4 were CR and maybe got all wrong. I feel this lead to my poor verbal score. I am comfortable with SC and CR but RC performance varies day to day. I am aiming for V36+

Quant: The quant section was much difficult than I have encountered on any of the mock exams. However, I think Q 49-50 is achievable.

As the R1 deadlines were almost over, I gave myself a break of 2 weeks and have started to prepare again to apply in R2. I have started giving some mocks the scores of which are listed below:

MGMAT 1: 660 (Q46, V34)
GMAT Club test: Q 47
GMAT Prep1: 690 (Q47, V37)
GMAT Prep2: 620 (Q49, V27) :cry:

Now it seems my mock scores are all over the place. I am having trouble completing verbal on time. My weakest area RC has worsen and CR is also deteriorating and time consumption on the SC has increased. Moreover, I think that the

Some extra info: I have been studying for the GMAT for the past 3+ years (This was my third attempt) and want to certainly apply to the business schools this time around (with the best possible score). I started at a mock score that was something around mid 400, have subscribed and covered variety of materials and courses available in the market, so I have already come a long way. However, after putting in so much time, effort and investment, it would be a shame to not end up with a 700+ score. After all it's an adaptive exam. So a 700+ score is certainly possible. Kindly Help!!

Dear Anurag,

One suggestion will be also look at which particular area would you like to focus on in RC and CR and which areas of the specific section you are losing upon
Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 14:54
Hi anurag16,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your last 2 Official GMAT Scores show that you essentially performed the same on both of those attempts (630 +/- a few points) - even though you took those Exams a year apart (and regardless of how you were scoring on your CATs). On Test Day, you handle certain aspects of the Exam consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Given the length of time that you've studied, you've likely gotten 'stuck' at this level - so the 'solution' to your situation isn't as much about the study materials you use as it is about how 'flexible' you are as a thinker (and whether you can adjust how you respond to the GMAT or not).

Before we get into the specifics of your ESR, it would help to know a bit more about your timeline:

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you're facing?
2) Have you scheduled your next Test Date yet (and if so, then when is it?)?
3) If you don't hit 700+ before your deadlines, will you apply for Round 2 with whatever score you have or will you push back your applications?

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 17:28
Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC
I do agree with the test day situation. I feel I was unable to apply all the rules properly as I used to do during preparations and mocks especially on the Verbal section. Because of this, both the efficiency and the timing suffer. However I have responded to your queries below:

EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi anurag16,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +/- 30 points of actual ability. Your last 2 Official GMAT Scores show that you essentially performed the same on both of those attempts (630 +/- a few points) - even though you took those Exams a year apart (and regardless of how you were scoring on your CATs). On Test Day, you handle certain aspects of the Exam consistently well, but you also make certain consistent mistakes. Given the length of time that you've studied, you've likely gotten 'stuck' at this level - so the 'solution' to your situation isn't as much about the study materials you use as it is about how 'flexible' you are as a thinker (and whether you can adjust how you respond to the GMAT or not).

Before we get into the specifics of your ESR, it would help to know a bit more about your timeline:

1) What are the exact application deadlines that you're facing? Starting from November 30 onwards and stretching till mid Jan.
2) Have you scheduled your next Test Date yet (and if so, then when is it?)? Not yet. However the slots at the test centre near me are available most of the times.
3) If you don't hit 700+ before your deadlines, will you apply for Round 2 with whatever score you have or will you push back your applications? I have been pushing the applications for the past 3 years. This time I will apply with no matter what score I get. I just want to do my best

Rich

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 20:58
Hi anurag16,

Based on your last 2 Official GMAT Scores, it's likely that you would need at least another 1-2 months of consistent, guided Study before you could potentially score 700+ consistently. When I asked about the exact application deadlines you were facing, you were not specific with your answers, so I have no way of defining how long you're willing to extend your studies. If you're just going to study for another couple of weeks, then there will almost certainly be a limit to how much you can improve (over the years of study, it's likely that you've developed some 'bad habits' that will take time to fix - and replace with new 'good habits'). With a longer study extension, then you'll have more time to hone the necessary skills.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 21:39
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
When I asked about the exact application deadlines you were facing, you were not specific with your answers, so I have no way of defining how long you're willing to extend your studies. If you're just going to study for another couple of weeks, then there will almost certainly be a limit to how much you can improve

Hi EMPOWERgmatRichC

I would certainly like to clarify on this point. I have my earliest deadline on 30th Dec and the last deadline for the school I am targeting is around Jan mid week. So considering I have around 2+1weeks (The school has given me the permission to apply before the deadline and provide the updated GMAT score within the next week) in hand, what all improvements can be done within this duration? Thanks in advance!

Top Contributor
Senior RC Moderator
P
WE: General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 14 Nov 2017, 22:45
Top Contributor
anurag16 wrote:

Thanks for the response. RC has always been troublesome for me and I would certainly try to use the above mentioned tactic. However, I was really good at CR (never got more than 3 questions wrong in any mock test prior to the exam). Maybe I rushed through the last 4 CR's in the exam and got all wrong. But now I think I am losing that touch in CR and have started to make silly mistakes in the recent mocks. Can it be because of overstudying?

Moreover, how can I improve my timing skills on the verbal section? I struggle to complete the section on time. Thanks in advance.

anurag16 - It is really hard to say. Since questions are adaptive. You might have easy CR's if it was next to your RC. But made mistakes in those well.

Start reading daily- Be critical of everything you read. Find assumption for all the paragraph wherever you can.

Please note- I'm not an expert like our EMPOWERgmatRichC but I felt reading really helps me overall. So I suggested you those. Read at least one article from each source if possible. When you are having free time in between your studies. Not casual bedtime read.

Also importantly- follow the expert's posts on the club. There are plenty of resources that can help you.

Become a GMAT Club Premium member to avail lot of discounts

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
D

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2017, 20:09
Hi anurag16,

I've sent you a PM with some notes/suggestions based on your ESR.

Rich

Rich Cohen

www.empowergmat.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2017, 01:30
Hi Gnpth

I have scheduled my exam for the last week of DECEMBER. So now I have ample of time to practice RC. Can you suggest some resources from where I can practice?

I have already exhausted all official questions. Do you think I should review them again? Moreover, I am already taking MGMAT mocks so I won't be practising the RC from MGMAT. Aristotle is very hard for me. Are there any other question banks you would suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help   [#permalink] 02 Dec 2017, 01:30

Poor performance on the actual GMAT- Help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR APRIL
Math Revolution - $79/3 mo Special sale until April 30
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL - Free Full GMAT video course, 100% free
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap