GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Dec 2018, 07:54

Expecting Soon:

R1 Admission Decisions from McCombs - Join Chat Room for Latest Updates

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Assessment - INSEAD Paris

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Assessment - INSEAD Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 07:57
Would love to get some feedback on my profile. Thanks, in advance, for your time :)

Education:
X - 81%
XII - 89%

UG:
B.A. Hns. (Mathematics) - Hansraj College, Delhi University
Score - 51.2% (screwed up royally)

GMAT: 720

Work Experience:

I started my career with Ernst & Young as a analyst in quality & risk management team. It was a process based role but within 18 months, I grew to lead a team of 13 people. Looking for more meaningful work, I joined a market research (semi-consulting) firm crunching numbers. That lasted 14 months. In 2013, after having tried (& failed) at finding what I wanted to do I decided to take some time off and regroup. 9 months later, I was ready to start my career in marketing communications. In 2014, I got my first job as an intern (at 24 years of age!!!) in a creative agency with 10 employees and fewer than 10 clients.
4 years later, I'm part of a 4 member team solely responsible for managing the biggest brand India has ever produced: Make In India. I'm also leading the marketing side of an initiative undertaken by the Principal Scientific Advisor to the PM of India.
It's been one hell of a ride, with lot of disappointments. But it's starting to come together. Here's what my profile doesn't have:

1. Promotions: I never stayed at the same place for more than a year (or less than a year) once I entered marketing
2. Bad GPA
3. A great GMAT score

Would love to hear what you guys think. And once again, thanks for your time!
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Re: Profile Assessment - INSEAD Paris  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 08:26
Hi nayyarsidharth,

thank you very much for your post.

Besides what you have pointed out, I have some extra concerns:

(a) Bumpy initial career path with a 9-month gap of employment
(b) No mention to any type of international exposure

For (a) just make sure you explain your career path and choices in a compelling way. You seem to have had a good career progression for the last 4 years, so if you're able to justify (a) well, you should be okay.

As for (b), could you please clarify your international exposure and motivation?

Thank you
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 08:39
Hello nayyarsidharth

Some interesting bits there. A profile is made up of primarily 4 elements- Acads, Work Ex, Career Goals and Diversity. You can read about it more in detail here.
Your Acads (AKA GMAT) is decent, not stellar. It basically checks the box.
Your work ex is where things get interesting- key for you will be how you choose to communicate your story, decisions and rationale behind them and how you tie in the same with your future goals and a need for an MBA (yeah, that's a mouthful :-)) Showcasing an International outlook also helps at INSEAD and you may want to bring that out.
That brings me to the next bit- your career goals. What do you wish to do in the long run and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach there? Unfortunately this is missing critical piece. You might want to read here to add to your research.
Lastly, diversity- basically how are you different and what unique perspective you will bring. While your work ex can potentially be useful to help you stand out, what also helps are your extracurricular activities.
To conclude- key is how you portray your career journey and tie it with your future goals and need for an MBA.
Should you need to discuss this further, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

nayyarsidharth wrote:
Would love to get some feedback on my profile. Thanks, in advance, for your time :)

Education:
X - 81%
XII - 89%

UG:

Work Experience:

I started my career with Ernst & Young as a analyst in quality & risk management team. It was a process based role but within 18 months, I grew to lead a team of 13 people. Looking for more meaningful work, I joined a market research (semi-consulting) firm crunching numbers. That lasted 14 months. In 2013, after having tried (& failed) at finding what I wanted to do I decided to take some time off and regroup. 9 months later, I was ready to start my career in marketing communications. In 2014, I got my first job as an intern (at 24 years of age!!!) in a creative agency with 10 employees and fewer than 10 clients.
4 years later, I'm part of a 4 member team solely responsible for managing the biggest brand India has ever produced: Make In India. I'm also leading the marketing side of an initiative undertaken by the Principal Scientific Advisor to the PM of India.
It's been one hell of a ride, with lot of disappointments. But it's starting to come together. Here's what my profile doesn't have:

1. Promotions: I never stayed at the same place for more than a year (or less than a year) once I entered marketing
2. Bad GPA
3. A great GMAT score

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 09:45
ARLeeConsulting wrote:
Hi nayyarsidharth,

thank you very much for your post.

Besides what you have pointed out, I have some extra concerns:

(a) Bumpy initial career path with a 9-month gap of employment
(b) No mention to any type of international exposure

For (a) just make sure you explain your career path and choices in a compelling way. You seem to have had a good career progression for the last 4 years, so if you're able to justify (a) well, you should be okay.

As for (b), could you please clarify your international exposure and motivation?

Thank you
Alex

Thanks for your feedback Alex. I'll keep your comments about explaining the choices and the gap period in mind

On the international exposure bit:
The organization I currently work (since Jan 18) for is India's national IPA. Our agency is responsible for promoting India as an FDI destination. From a marketing point of view, we do a lot of outreach such as events (we managed India's presence at the world economic forum, davos, in 2018), campaigns, roundtables etc. and our audience is primarily foreign investors.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2018, 09:49
MBAkarma wrote:
Hello nayyarsidharth

Some interesting bits there. A profile is made up of primarily 4 elements- Acads, Work Ex, Career Goals and Diversity. You can read about it more in detail here.
Your Acads (AKA GMAT) is decent, not stellar. It basically checks the box.
Your work ex is where things get interesting- key for you will be how you choose to communicate your story, decisions and rationale behind them and how you tie in the same with your future goals and a need for an MBA (yeah, that's a mouthful :-)) Showcasing an International outlook also helps at INSEAD and you may want to bring that out.
That brings me to the next bit- your career goals. What do you wish to do in the long run and why is an MBA an absolute necessity to reach there? Unfortunately this is missing critical piece. You might want to read here to add to your research.
Lastly, diversity- basically how are you different and what unique perspective you will bring. While your work ex can potentially be useful to help you stand out, what also helps are your extracurricular activities.
To conclude- key is how you portray your career journey and tie it with your future goals and need for an MBA.
Should you need to discuss this further, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

nayyarsidharth wrote:

Education:
X - 81%
XII - 89%

UG:

Work Experience:

2. Bad GPA
3. A great GMAT score

Thanks Varun for providing a framework for a holistic view. And for the relevant links. I'll keep these points in mind.
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 20:00
Hi nayyarsidharth,

thank you for the additional details on your international exposure.

Make sure then to leverage the international aspect of your current role in your application.

Good luck!
Alex

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +34 696 097 784
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: https://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Email us your CV for a free evaluation of your profile

Visit our website and contact us for a detailed discussion about YOUR FUTURE!

Intern
Intern
B
Schools: Duke '21
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
GPA: 4

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 20:33
Hello,

I have 4+ years of experience in field of Data Analytics and Strategy Consulting combined with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT (BHU), Varanasi (8.16 GPA , 2014 Batch).

I have scored 710 (Q50, V37, AWA3.5 & IR6) in GMAT exam.

With this profile and score of 710. What should I target? Post MBA, I want to grow in the field of strategy consulting.
Please let me know if I should add additional information about my profile.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2018, 22:36
Hello rahulguest

While the info you have given covers the 'statistical' base, a deeper profile evaluation also requires some 'qualitative' details, such as Career Progress, Achievements at work, Extracurricular Activities, International Outlook (critical for INSEAD) etc. You can read more on this here and here.
Based on the limited info given, I'd say a) bring out the international exposure or outlook of your work, b) talk about impact of your contributions, c) showcase how you are unique/diverse c) bump up your GMAT by 20-30 points, d) communicate how does your past skills/experience tie in with your future goals & MBA.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

rahulguest wrote:
Hello,

I have 4+ years of experience in field of Data Analytics and Strategy Consulting combined with a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from IIT (BHU), Varanasi (8.16 GPA , 2014 Batch).

I have scored 710 (Q50, V37, AWA3.5 & IR6) in GMAT exam.

With this profile and score of 710. What should I target? Post MBA, I want to grow in the field of strategy consulting.
Please let me know if I should add additional information about my profile.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Assessment - INSEAD Paris &nbs [#permalink] 08 Aug 2018, 22:36

Profile Assessment - INSEAD Paris

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: Hideto, MBAPrepCoach

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap