It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Ev

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Profile Ev [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 19:52
Hi Paul,

I wanted to get your opinion on my chances at either AGSM or Melbourne.
About me:
Career:
I will have 7 yrs work experience in wealth management as an financial planner/investment advisor. I currently manage an investment book of approx $80 million, as well as mentoring/coaching branch staff of 10 people. I have been consistently ranked among the top 15% of producers at my firm.
I will be 29 next year. Caucasian. Male.
I just wrote level 3 of the CFA exams - awaiting results. I have the required work experience completed for the charter.

Volunteer:
I have started volunteering with habitat but nothing in a leadership capacity. Also volunteer with the kidney foundation but again no leadership activities. Up till now studying has taken up a lot of my spare time.

Education:
BComm - 2003 - majored in marketing and minor in finance.
GPA average was 3.1 for the 4 yrs.
On a side note I also had my kidneys fail during university, was on dialysis, and had a kidney transplant so my grades were a little up and down through-out the term.

GMAT - this is one of my questions. Given the rest of my profile - what type of GMAT score would be required to even have a shot at getting into these schools? Would I even have a shot at them with my low GPA no matter what my GMAT score? I tend to do really well at standardized tests, but I don't want to be one of those people somehow stating "I assume I will get a 750" like it is no big deal. They drive me nuts.

Reason for B-School:
I don't really care about brand names. I want to return to school to gain general management skills and specialize in accounting/corporate governance/social responsibility. Upon completion I would like to work in accounting/corporate finance/treasury; eventually in a management function. The other alternative I am toying with is entering into public service upon completion but this would be an outside chance. I have looked into both of the schools to a limited degree so far, but it seems like they would be suitable. I would love your opinion on this.

I would also be open to any schools in the UK if you think there are suitable/attainable schools. I am not able to attend school in the US as I would have no chance of getting coverage for my required medications etc from the transplant. I would prefer to go to school outside of Canada to get some international experience.

I am thinking about applying to business school for either Sept 10, or Jan 11 start date

Any guidance you could provide would be great.

Thanks.

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Ev [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2009, 12:29
hhh,

Strong profile with a compelling personal story. Your GPA won't hold you back at all if you can beat these schools' average GMATs, which seem to be in the 640-660 range. A 700 GMAT score would address any doubts they might have. Because of your profile I think you would be competitive at most of the top UK universities, including Cambridge, Oxford, Manchester, etc. If you wanted to apply to LBS as a long-shot I wouldn't discourage that.

Hope this helps,

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Ev   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2009, 12:29

Profile Ev

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap