Profile Eval and Advice for 2012/2013 : Ask Admission Consultants
Check GMAT Club Decision Tracker for the Latest School Decision Releases

It is currently 19 Feb 2017, 11:52
GMAT Club Tests


GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance


we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.


Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval and Advice for 2012/2013

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Profile Eval and Advice for 2012/2013 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2011, 13:59
Hello Stacy Blackman,

Please help me answer a few questions I am considering in addition to the profile eval. I'll summarize them at the end if they are confusingly blended. I apologize for the lack of concision.

I have a 3.3 GPA from a top 15 liberal arts school and BS in Math with a concentration in Econ/Accounting/Finance (school didn't offer minors). I've taken the GMAT twice and am sitting on a 720 (50Q 38V). Is it worth retaking the GMAT when I know that a 750-60 is not at all out of the realm of possibility? With the 41V I got on the first take and the 50Q from the second I would be right around 750, but I understand that taking it too many times can be negative. I went into the GMAT hoping for a "separate myself" kind of score because my WE and my post-college volunteer and leadership experience may leave something to be desired.

I changed jobs in September and decided for multiple reasons that it was probably best to put off applying to B-school until Round 1 next fall. In fall 2012, I'll have 3+ years in Finance/Accounting, 2 of which were in FID product controls at a top 3 BB, so I'll have 4 years WE starting school in 2013. I'm looking to definitely apply to Darden, probably Tuck, possibly Booth, HBS, or Wharton (knowing H and W could be long shots), maybe Fuqua, and if I am told I probably need to... UNC, Vandy.

On the volunteer/extracurricular front, I'm doing a mentor program (iMentor), am an alumni assoc. officer, and am involved with a charity (and trying to get more involved), but this stuff is pretty new- I understand Adcom will sometimes view newer activities suspiciously as though you signed up for b-school. What else can I be doing with my time? Would the CFA level 1 be worth it? I'm thinking IB will be my first choice out of B-school and definitely will want to at least do a summer assoc. gig, but I haven't ruled out ER post b-school, so it would not be a move strictly for my b-school app. I've also heard people say that with the time you spend on the CFA you could be doing other things that are not as difficult that will actually help a future applicant more. What are some of these? I want to make the most of this winter and spring.

Also, I'd like to share and get feedback on an interesting conversation I had with the Dean of admissions at Darden at a recent event in NYC. In response to my question intro about contemplating applying with a brand new job (though in my mind I'd already decided to wait), the Dean cut me off and said to apply now. She almost made it sound like being a reapp was an advantage because Darden gives great feedback to the people who do not get in, and I suppose it shows interest and persistence too. This was a surprising response, and maybe she has an agenda for more applicants, but she definitely gave off the impression that I'd improve my chances for 2013 by having applied and been rejected in 2012. I have always had the mindset to wait until I am certain that I'm putting my best possible application together. Throwing one together now- I'm not sure how strong I could make it. Getting recommendations would be one of several issues.

Let me summarize. I'm a white male from the Deep South: 720, 3.3 in Math, 2.5 years WE in financial controls as of right now. I want to know:

1. Should I apply to Darden- my first choice- right now (I'd have 3 weeks and need to do everything except take the GMAT)?

Assuming I don't:
2. Should I retake the GMAT?
3. Should I spend Jan-June doing the CFA Level 1
4. If #3 is no, what else could I be doing in my free time to make me the strongest possible applicant when I apply in 9 months?

I really, really appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks in advance.
Profile Eval and Advice for 2012/2013   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2011, 13:59
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Eval and Advice aj16 3 21 Mar 2011, 09:15
Profile Eval and Advice aj16 3 21 Mar 2011, 09:14
Profile Eval and advice loneavenger 1 10 Mar 2011, 12:31
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile eval and advice please mashedtamato 3 16 May 2010, 13:10
Experts publish their posts in the topic Profile Eval/Advice mbain1 1 02 Jul 2008, 13:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Eval and Advice for 2012/2013

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.