It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 15:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Eval Please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Schools: NYU Stern Class of 2012
WE 1: GM, Diversified Financial Svcs.
WE 2: Sales & Trading
Profile Eval Please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Aug 2008, 12:04
First of all, I wanted to thank you for taking time out of your day to read this. I'm planning to apply to B-school in '11 or possibly '12. Really aiming at a top 20 program, but have some time to build up weak spots in my resume. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Personal:
----------

24 y/o Male - US Born/Caucasian. Married.

Education:
------------

Texas Tech University - BA in Honors Management - 3.75 GPA
Several officer positions in Business Fraternity - VP of Scholarships & Awards, Webmaster, VP Fundraising
Golden Key Honor Society, Dean's list, etc. Worked ~ 25 hours/week during jr/sr year.

Sitting for CFA Level I in Dec. '08. Hoping to be done with Level II by matriculation.

GMAT:
-------

Taking in January - aiming for 720 (+/- 20)

Career/Job:
-------------

Current Role:
Trading assistant to Senior VP at largest brokerage firm in the Southwest.
- Assisted in rollout of new electronic trading platform. Over $100k in revenue during first year of operation.
- Helped grow revenue of desk by nearly 150% YoY

Past Roles:
Management training program for credit card division of Citigroup.

Intern (Junior Year) - Webmaster for small architecture firm

Intern (Soph Year) - Marketing intern

Community:
--------------
Current:
Habitat For Humanity - Core Volunteer. ~5 hrs/week currently.
Employer is heavily into volunteering for the America Heart Association - pursuing a leadership position here currently.
*Currently brainstorming ideas for improving this area of my application

Past:
Small things during college - adopt a highway, american heart association, lubbock pancake festival volunteer.

Hobbies:
----------

Motorcycle Racing - Not as often as I'd like ($$) - but a unique hobby.
Training for half marathon

Career Goals:
----------------

Discovered my passion for finance my first year out of school (a bit late, really). Greatest interest is in Investment Management. As a result, I've been looking at traditionally strong Finance schools. Would love to hear your opinion on my chances, and your ideas for improving weaknesses. Thanks again.

Dream Schools:
Chicago, Wharton, Columbia, Kellogg

Reaches:
NYU, Cornell, Yale, UCLA, Michigan

Smaller Reach:

UT-Austin, other recommendations?

**EDIT : Corrected dates for matriculation in 2011 or 2012.

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 74

Re: Profile Eval Please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2008, 17:05
NickTW,

You seem to be headed on the right path and doing the right things. You are probably not quite where you need to be now for some of the schools on your list but you it definitely seems like you will be in 2 years' time if you get the AHA leadership role and your professional keeps unfolding as it has. The key is building up leadership and impact stories wherever you can. So based on your current trajectory I would say you are being a bit hard on yourself. You should have a shot at Chicago, Wharton, Columbia, and Kellogg and NYU, Cornell, Yale, UCLA, Michigan would "competitive" schools for you, not "reaches." You could also consider MIT Sloan and Haas, and Rochester as a backup.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2008, 05:15
Paul,

You sure know how to start someone's week off on the right foot. Best. Monday. Ever. On a serious note - I really appreciate your thoughtful response. I'll definitely be picking up a copy (or two) of your book once application time gets a little closer - and working like a madman to build up the leadership roles in the meantime. Thanks again.

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2008, 18:21

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 07 Dec 2008, 14:38
Paul,

I'm facing a bit of a dilemma that I'd really appreciate your insight on. I just wrote the CFA Level 1 exam yesterday, and feel pretty good about my chances for getting a "Pass" result in 6 weeks. Fingers crossed. As you can tell from my profile above, I think it's fair to say leadership is the weakest section and needs the most work. I've done a lot of thinking over the last few months and decided I'd like to start my own non-profit teaching basic finance/money-management skills to youth in my community. It's something that I have a real interest in, not something I'd do just for B-school reasons. My problem is this - I don't think my work schedule would allow me to pursue the CFA Level II exam for June and start this little venture on the side. Assuming my ultimate short-term goal is MBA admission into a top Finance program, which route would you suggest?

Thanks again for your time!

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 13 Dec 2008, 18:05
NickTW,

That's an easy one for me to answer: I think the extracurricular/community work is much more highly valued by schools than is the CFA designation. Your GMAT score tells them all they need to know about your MBA-related intellectual abilities, so the CFA's main value is in showing how interested you are in finance. But there are other ways of showing that. Schools value leadership above almost everything else, and the organization you want to start would certainly show leadership. So it gets my vote.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2008, 05:30
I think we were on the same page with this one - thanks again for your advice Paul!

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2008, 16:49

Re: Profile Eval Please   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2008, 16:49

Profile Eval Please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap