Last visit was: 05 May 2024, 04:18 It is currently 05 May 2024, 04:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Zjy1990 wrote:
It would be really helpful if any of you can evaluate my profile and give me some suggestions. I gonna apply for EA or R1 2017 intake.

ACAD:
-Undergrad: OSU, Fisher College, double majored in Finance and Economics, GPA3.5, graduated with Cum Laude Honor.
-G 720 (Q51, V36, AWA4.0) Maybe will retake to get higher score
-T waived

WE:
-5 yrs (at time of admission) in a commercial bank in Beijing, China. Enrolled a management trainee program and rotated in four depts. before. Now fixed in Risk Management Dept., Professional Committee for Loan Examination & Approve. Promoted for twice.

ECs:
-Dance club coordinator
-GARP member for 1.5 years

Post MBA Goals:
To join a consulting firm focuses on commercial banking, then eventually start my own consulting firm in a long term.

Target Program:
Stanford
Darden
Tuck
Fuqua
Anderson
Yale

Thanks.

Hey there dude,
So so far so good. You have a very good GPA and GMAT, at a quite solid school. You work in a good industry, even if commercial baking lacks the prestige of IB or PE.

I think you may be aiming just a touch high in your applications - keep in mind that you are coming from an over-represented pool and that your employer is likely not a target employer for Top 5-10 B-schools.

Finally, I question your school list because you are missing a lot of the typically strong finance/banking programs - Columbia, NYU, Wharton, Johnson, Booth... ??? Maybe those would make sense given your goals?

I hope this helps....
and if you have any follow-up questions, just let me know.

Best,
Jon

Thank you Jon. Since my post MBA career goal is more related to consulting than banking, so I think strong consulting programs fit me better, and that is why my school list excludes Columbia, NYU, and etc..

I want to ask a question. Does the pre-MBA background weighs more than post-MBA goals when schools consider their prospective candidates? I mean, I work in a commercial bank but want to further consulting career, so am I more competitive in Columbia, NYU those kind of schools than Tuck, Fuqua..?

Thank you so much. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Zjy1990 wrote:
It would be really helpful if any of you can evaluate my profile and give me some suggestions. I gonna apply for EA or R1 2017 intake.

ACAD:
-Undergrad: OSU, Fisher College, double majored in Finance and Economics, GPA3.5, graduated with Cum Laude Honor.
-T waived

WE:
-5 yrs (at time of admission) in a commercial bank in Beijing, China. Enrolled a management trainee program and rotated in four depts. before. Now fixed in Risk Management Dept., Professional Committee for Loan Examination & Approve. Promoted for twice.

ECs:
-Dance club coordinator

Post MBA Goals:
To join a consulting firm focuses on commercial banking, then eventually start my own consulting firm in a long term.

Target Program:
Stanford
Darden
Tuck
Fuqua
Anderson
Yale

Thanks.

Thanks for the detailed information. You have nice experience, but not necessarily the best. What bank do you work at? Is it on the level of Standard Chartered for instance or a different prestige level?

With everything as it stands, I don't see Stanford working out for you and Tuck may be a stretch though it depends on your story and how powerful your essays are. As it was mentioned above, add some finance schools in here. NYU Stern should be on here instead of Darden and why no add Columbia too? Apply soon to those schools though. It gets harder to get into Columbia as it gets later in the year. Good luck and reach out if you would like more specific help.

Best,
Scott

Thank you Scott. First I'd like to answer your question. The bank I work for is not a prestige one as Standard Chartered you mentioned. Though Its total asset is over 500 billion Yuan and it ranks 262 last year in The Banker.

Since I really don't think I prepare well this year, so I think it is not wise to apply for 2016 intake. So I plan to defer my application to next year, namely 2017 intake. I just want to ask how can I enhance my background to get into my target schools? Maybe a higher GMAT score or something else. Can you give me some advises? Thank you so much Scott.
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Expert Reply
Zjy1990 wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
Zjy1990 wrote:

ACAD:
-T waived

WE:

ECs:
-Dance club coordinator

Post MBA Goals:

Target Program:
Stanford
Darden
Tuck
Fuqua
Anderson
Yale

Thanks.

Thanks for the detailed information. You have nice experience, but not necessarily the best. What bank do you work at? Is it on the level of Standard Chartered for instance or a different prestige level?

With everything as it stands, I don't see Stanford working out for you and Tuck may be a stretch though it depends on your story and how powerful your essays are. As it was mentioned above, add some finance schools in here. NYU Stern should be on here instead of Darden and why no add Columbia too? Apply soon to those schools though. It gets harder to get into Columbia as it gets later in the year. Good luck and reach out if you would like more specific help.

Best,
Scott

Thank you Scott. First I'd like to answer your question. The bank I work for is not a prestige one as Standard Chartered you mentioned. Though Its total asset is over 500 billion Yuan and it ranks 262 last year in The Banker.

Since I really don't think I prepare well this year, so I think it is not wise to apply for 2016 intake. So I plan to defer my application to next year, namely 2017 intake. I just want to ask how can I enhance my background to get into my target schools? Maybe a higher GMAT score or something else. Can you give me some advises? Thank you so much Scott.

You could improve your GMAT score and also assume a leadership role in an extra-curricular activity. If the activity ties to your personal story, that is even better. The last thing you can do is try to put yourself in situations at work that will help you show your leadership abilities, contribute to very strong LORs etc.

I do not recommend waiting any longer than next year to apply, and if you could get everything together this year, you would be better off. The additional experience doesn't help you. That said, if you think you can add 30+ points to the GMAT and accomplish some other things I mentioned, it would be worth it.

Good luck!

Best,
Scott
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi there,

You have a decent profile. Your work experinece, academics and GMAT Score are really good. The list of B-Schools you have mentioned are good and I would suggest you to target Darden, Dartmouth Tuck, Duke Fuqua, UCLA and Yale Anderson. Stanford seems a bit stretch B-School for you.

You may also gauge your chances of getting admission to top business school by trying this amazing tool https://bit.ly/1C9o2Md

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
GMAT Club Bot