GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 20:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 04:37
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
User avatar
B
Status: Trust Experience, Trust Success
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 1796
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 10:09
Punit,
Your profile sounds strong. Ideally you would raise your GMAT score given that you are an Indian applicant. Even if you don't, however, Emory, Ross, Mccombs and perhaps Cornell should be in play for you. Your odds at Fuqua, Tuck, LBS, and NYU Stern will depend on the quality/depth of your profile which I could gauge better if you sent me your resume/CV: paul@admitify.com.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com


punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Personal MBA Coach Founder
User avatar
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1423
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 13:19
punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Punit,

Thank you for your profile post. If you are comfortable posting on the boards, what firm do you work for? This may impact your chances, so feel free to also email separately if you prefer scott@personalmbacoach.com

Your work experience is ok, though tax is not the best feeder pre-MBA job so I would want to know what other leadership roles you have had either at work or outside of work. I placed a tax professional into Columbia this year, but with a 67%, Indian male and target of 720, I don't see great chances at NYU Stern or Tuck. Emory and McCombs are good targets, though as mentioned above, focus on improving your GMAT score. Ross, Cornell and Fuqua could go either way. Now if you are considering one year MBA programs then you have a better chance at Cornell and Emory.

Reach out if you want to chat further and I can tell you how you stack up against other tax folks I have worked with.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 19:20
PaulBodine wrote:
Punit,
Your profile sounds strong. Ideally you would raise your GMAT score given that you are an Indian applicant. Even if you don't, however, Emory, Ross, Mccombs and perhaps Cornell should be in play for you. Your odds at Fuqua, Tuck, LBS, and NYU Stern will depend on the quality/depth of your profile which I could gauge better if you sent me your resume/CV: paul@admitify.com.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, http://www.admitify.com


punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Thank you Paul for your inputs. I will email my resume to you.

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Mar 2017, 19:31
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Punit,

Thank you for your profile post. If you are comfortable posting on the boards, what firm do you work for? This may impact your chances, so feel free to also email separately if you prefer scott@personalmbacoach.com

Your work experience is ok, though tax is not the best feeder pre-MBA job so I would want to know what other leadership roles you have had either at work or outside of work. I placed a tax professional into Columbia this year, but with a 67%, Indian male and target of 720, I don't see great chances at NYU Stern or Tuck. Emory and McCombs are good targets, though as mentioned above, focus on improving your GMAT score. Ross, Cornell and Fuqua could go either way. Now if you are considering one year MBA programs then you have a better chance at Cornell and Emory.

Reach out if you want to chat further and I can tell you how you stack up against other tax folks I have worked with.

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your inputs. Here are a few additional inputs and queries.

I work for EY which is the leading tax firm in India. Also as a part of my current role I cover both tax and regulatory i.e., international tax, FDI, foreign exchange management, etc. Also I would like to highlight in India tax functions are considered competitive because of the highly complex tax laws.

Also wanted to check if being a Chartered Accountant ( equivalent to CPA in US) does help. In India less then 10℅ candidates clear Chartered Accountant exams in first attempt.

With respect to leadership, In addition to the Rotaract club, I have examples of leadership during my school days. I am also associated with an NGO currently.

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Punit


Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
User avatar
B
Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 54
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Mar 2017, 23:01
Hi Punit,

You know the bad part about being an Indian candidate? B-Schools expect you to be a mad genius when it comes to GMAT. You said that you were aiming for a score of 720. If possible, please raise the bar!

It's nice that you do not wish to change fields, for it becomes difficult for B-Schools to find jobs for you and thus, they kind of shy away from admitting you. A possible scenario.

Nevertheless, please feel free to get in touch with us regarding assistance with your application at one of the most competitive prices. Don't forget to send your resume to the email address below!

Looking forward!
_________________

Best Regards
TugBuck Assistance
Email - tugbuck@outlook.com

Please give a KUDOS if you like our post!

Admission Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Jan 2012
Posts: 1457
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 03:56
punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



HI Punit,

We helped someone from EY (female) secure an admit to Fuqua last year. She had very similar stats, work profile and career goals like yours (she had a lower GMAT). However, every applicant is an individual by himself and has different set of experiences. I'd suggest that you aim higher for the GMAT- time is in your favour right now- you are still a few months away from actively putting together your application, so you can concentrate more upon the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed discussion
_________________

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Call me on my cellphone: +91 9901566772
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Ask us for R2 Early Bird Offer

Stratus Admissions Consultant
User avatar
P
Joined: 31 May 2016
Posts: 1385
Location: United States
Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 07:12
punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern

Hi punit141188, I think you will have a good application with this profile and the higher you can get that GMAT, the better. I like Cornell, Emory, LBS, Fuqua (if you apply EA) and Stern. I think that Ross may like higher GMATs in your pool and I am also not as sure about your odds at McCombs. I think that working with someone to try to set yourself apart will be useful. Already with your accounting experience and strong career progression I think you have a good chance of standing out. For safety you might want to add in a school like Simon and I also think if you apply in an early round and you can get that GMAT up to maybe 730+ you will present well at Kenan-Flagler also. If you'd like to have a free consult with us to learn more about how we could help you through this process, here is the link for that: http://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/ ... b-visitor/


Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

_________________

Donna | Stratus Admissions | Schedule a Free Consult

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 10:32
Thank you for your inputs. I will revert soon

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 10:33
MBADecoder wrote:
punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app



HI Punit,

We helped someone from EY (female) secure an admit to Fuqua last year. She had very similar stats, work profile and career goals like yours (she had a lower GMAT). However, every applicant is an individual by himself and has different set of experiences. I'd suggest that you aim higher for the GMAT- time is in your favour right now- you are still a few months away from actively putting together your application, so you can concentrate more upon the GMAT.

Feel free to reach out for a detailed discussion

Hi. Thank you for your inputs. I will revert soon

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 25 Feb 2013
Posts: 6
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 10:34
tugbuck wrote:
Hi Punit,

You know the bad part about being an Indian candidate? B-Schools expect you to be a mad genius when it comes to GMAT. You said that you were aiming for a score of 720. If possible, please raise the bar!

It's nice that you do not wish to change fields, for it becomes difficult for B-Schools to find jobs for you and thus, they kind of shy away from admitting you. A possible scenario.

Nevertheless, please feel free to get in touch with us regarding assistance with your application at one of the most competitive prices. Don't forget to send your resume to the email address below!

Looking forward!

Hi. Thank you for your inputs. I will revert soon

Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Personal MBA Coach Founder
User avatar
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Joined: 11 Sep 2010
Posts: 1423
Location: United States (NY)
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Mar 2017, 06:50
punit141188 wrote:
PersonalMBACoach wrote:
punit141188 wrote:
I am an Indian male, 28 years. Considering to apply for an MBA to US b schools in 2017.

Education - Chartered Accountant (first attempt), BCom ( 67%)

Grades in 10th standard (85%), 12th standard (92%)

Work experience - Manager, Tax advisory services of a Big 4. Promoted thrice in 5 years.

During internship and post qualification worked briefly in Risk Advisory services.

Total work experience - 5.5 years as on date and 6 years at the time of applying

Extra curricular activities - Started a rotaract club. Conducted a fund raiser for a cancer care unit. Held leadership positions in the club

Post MBA goals :

Short term - Migrate to a finance career - corporate finance or operational finance. Alternatively explore investment management

Long term - CFO of a large organisation or start a venture

Target GMAT score - 720

Please evaluate my profile and help me understand understand if I stand a chance as on date to make it to Cornell, Emory, Ross, LBS, Mccombs, Fuqua, Tuck or NYU Stern



Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Punit,

Thank you for your profile post. If you are comfortable posting on the boards, what firm do you work for? This may impact your chances, so feel free to also email separately if you prefer scott@personalmbacoach.com

Your work experience is ok, though tax is not the best feeder pre-MBA job so I would want to know what other leadership roles you have had either at work or outside of work. I placed a tax professional into Columbia this year, but with a 67%, Indian male and target of 720, I don't see great chances at NYU Stern or Tuck. Emory and McCombs are good targets, though as mentioned above, focus on improving your GMAT score. Ross, Cornell and Fuqua could go either way. Now if you are considering one year MBA programs then you have a better chance at Cornell and Emory.

Reach out if you want to chat further and I can tell you how you stack up against other tax folks I have worked with.

Best,
Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your inputs. Here are a few additional inputs and queries.

I work for EY which is the leading tax firm in India. Also as a part of my current role I cover both tax and regulatory i.e., international tax, FDI, foreign exchange management, etc. Also I would like to highlight in India tax functions are considered competitive because of the highly complex tax laws.

Also wanted to check if being a Chartered Accountant ( equivalent to CPA in US) does help. In India less then 10℅ candidates clear Chartered Accountant exams in first attempt.

With respect to leadership, In addition to the Rotaract club, I have examples of leadership during my school days. I am also associated with an NGO currently.

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Kind regards,
Punit


Sent from my XT1663 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app


Punit,

Thank you for the additional information about your leadership experience. Being a CA does help and admissions teams will know that it is more competitive than CFA.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions or if you just want to have a chat about your profile.

Best,
Scott
_________________

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Sign up for a free consultation!

Image

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation &nbs [#permalink] 18 Mar 2017, 06:50
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile evaluation

  new topic post reply Update application status  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.