It is currently 18 Oct 2017, 06:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 06:54
Hello,

Kindly review my profile and share your valuable inputs.

Profile: I completed my graduation in Computer Science Engineering from one of the top 10 colleges in India in 2014 with a CGPA of 8.75. I have been working with Bank of America since then, first as a Senior Technical Associate and then promoted to Senior Software Engineer in January 2017. I am joining an algorithmic trading firm in October 2017, as a Product Manager.

Extra-curricular: I am one of the co-founders of Teach for Vellore, a non profit initiative working on similar grounds as Teach for America or Teach for India.
In 2016, I had also co-founded 90percent.in, an initiative to promote financial awareness among the masses.
I am a Co-leader in an Adventure firm in Mumbai, India and have conducted over 8 treks with over 100 people.
I am an Environment ambassador in Bank of America and was Head of Critics, Toastmasters Chennai, Bank of America chapter.
I also have completed diploma in Fine Arts from a fine institute in my school days and was the School Head too.

I gave my GMAT last year, with the score of 710 (50 in Quant, 36 in verbal, 6 in AWA and 4 in IR)

Below is the shortlist which I have done:

1) US - Cornell, Columbia, Booth, Wharton, Ross
2) Asia – ISB/NUS/NTU/HKUST/CUHK

Areas of interest : 1) General Management, 2) Finance

I need your help in deciding which colleges I should apply to.

I am targeting top 15 US B schools. So should I apply in Round 1 or give GMAT again and apply in Round 2 with a higher score?
Also, what other schools can i keep in my options in case I dont retake. I am an Indian, female, engineer.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admissionado
S

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 48

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Sep 2017, 22:28
vj160192 wrote:
Hello,

Profile: I completed my graduation in Computer Science Engineering from one of the top 10 colleges in India in 2014 with a CGPA of 8.75. I have been working with Bank of America since then, first as a Senior Technical Associate and then promoted to Senior Software Engineer in January 2017. I am joining an algorithmic trading firm in October 2017, as a Product Manager.

Extra-curricular: I am one of the co-founders of Teach for Vellore, a non profit initiative working on similar grounds as Teach for America or Teach for India.
In 2016, I had also co-founded 90percent.in, an initiative to promote financial awareness among the masses.
I am a Co-leader in an Adventure firm in Mumbai, India and have conducted over 8 treks with over 100 people.
I am an Environment ambassador in Bank of America and was Head of Critics, Toastmasters Chennai, Bank of America chapter.
I also have completed diploma in Fine Arts from a fine institute in my school days and was the School Head too.

I gave my GMAT last year, with the score of 710 (50 in Quant, 36 in verbal, 6 in AWA and 4 in IR)

I am targeting top 15 US B schools. So should I apply in Round 1 or give GMAT again and apply in Round 2 with a higher score?
Also, what other schools can i keep in my options in case I dont retake. I am an Indian, female, engineer.

Hey there!
So good to hear from you!
Although I don't have necessarily good news. As an Indian software engineer not from IIT with a software engineering job and a 710, top 10 and top 15 schools are out of range for you. I would suggest you rather start looking into the 10-30 range in the US. For Asian schools, most of the ones you mentioned should be within range, although it will very important that you highlight both your business skills and your leadership, if you have any.

For an understanding of just how tough and competitive things are have a look at this:
http://admissionado.com/mba/3-tips-for- ... n=mba_blog

You could try to aim for a higher GMAT if you really want to aim for Top 10 schools:
http://admissionado.com/mba/to-retake-o ... n=mba_blog

But I have to say that without a stronger job, without more volunteer work and ECs and leadership, even with a 760 the top schools will be tough.

Best,
JF

And feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 968 [0], given: 48

Intern
Intern
B
Affiliations: Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 06 Sep 2017, 16:21
vj160192 wrote:
Hello,

Hello there,

I must say you have an impressive profile though I would admit you do fall in the most competitive pool of applicants. However, you still stand out from other IT sector applicants primarily because of what you bring to the table beyond your work profile. Your extra curriculars are strong and relevant therefore if I were you I wouldn't settle for anything less than a top 10 school.. Therefore my short answer to this, looking at your target schools, is to re-attempt GMAT and apply to round 2.

Aim for 740+ . There is lot of scope to improve on your verbal score. I don't know which aspects you are weak on, but a verbal score on the right side of 40 would take you beyond your target score.

Will be happy to discuss your profile in detail. You can connect with us at connect@taterways.com

Taterways Admission Consulting - A Wharton + ISB venture
http://www.taterways.com

http://www.taterways.com/free-consultation

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/taterways

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2017, 00:23
vj160192 wrote:
Hello,

Impressive profile, even for someone coming from the most competitive applicant pool out there, with one weakness: that GMAT score. Unfortunately that could be your downfall at some schools, so I would highly recommend a retake, as a lot of new options would really open up for you. Several of the schools you have listed are among the toughest in the world to get into, as I am sure you know, and I think they are kind of borderline for you at the moment. However, with a better GMAT score and super impressive essays, they might be possible for you, so I would highly recommend you try to put everything you can into both those parts of your profile.

If retaking is not an option, you will need to start looking at less competetive schools instead, basically.

In order to get some more ideas for schools to apply to, you might want to take a look at the latest rankings for both general management: https://aringo.com/general-management-strategy-mba-programs/
and finance: https://aringo.com/mba-finance-specialization/

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young

Kudos [?]: 325 [0], given: 2

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 10 Sep 2017, 00:23

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap