GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Dec 2018, 23:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 07:00
My profile has been one with extreme ups and downs so i would just like to know if i should even apply for colleges.
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%
Studied Engineering at a top NIT for 3 years before dropping out to pursue my Gaming career tried to make my hobby a career but Failed in the said gaming career. Did my graduation in Economics and Accounting passed with 50% marks.
Got at job at a nationalized Bank. Handled corporate finance for my branch with around $0.5 Billion worth of loans. Also worked for a bit in Forex Department handling import section. Total work Ex 2 years. Have some diplomas in Banking and Finance from Indian institute of Banking and Finance.
Switched jobs and got a job in the premier investigative agency of India where i have been working for 3 years now working as an investigator, investigating financial crimes. Worked on some very high profile Financial crimes while being here.
Gave GMAT last year and scored 740. I can increase the score more if it can increase my chances of landing a good college.
The reason i want to pursue MBA is to get a more rewarding job. The present one is extremely stressful with almost 15 days of traveling, sometimes to extremely small places with no fixed schedule.
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75
Re: Profile evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 07:19
Hello coolcows

Yours is certainly an interesting story.
First things first- your GMAT is good. Higher is always better, but it will not significantly change your chances.
From here it depends on your overall profile and the story you choose to tell in your applications.
Any good B-School is interested in knowing you via admission factors mentioned here.
Your journey can work both positively or negatively depending on how you convey your story. You can choose to show following your passion-->failing-->learning from failure-->bouncing back. Everybody loves a redemption story. That said, if we break down your profile, we can observe strengths and weaknesses-
1. Acads- Past scores are not stellar, but your GMAT compensates for that. So this checks off a box.
2. Quality of Work Ex- Though the jump seems random on paper- you should show why you made such a transition. You have handled a big business in the past, but it would help to also mention what have been your key accomplishments.
3. Diversity- Extracurricular activities help, you should write about those. At the same time, your investigation experience could be used to bring out diversity in your profile (something Indians are at a disadvantage usually as they make up a big pool of applicants)
4. Career Goals- Finally coming to the biggest piece of the admissions puzzle. By far this looks the weakest argument. On a personal level I understand where you are coming from but this is not going to sell to the admissions committee and lack of goals will not allow you to reap full benefits of an MBA. I recommend you can add to your research by reading this. But finalizing realistic career goals is definitely the need of the hour.
To sum it up yes your profile will draw extreme reactions so it is up to you how you choose to portray it.
Shortlisting schools is another trick, and will require to deeply understand your profile and motivation on a qualitative level.
Needless to say final success will depend on how you tie all of this in your written application.
Should the feel the need to discuss this further, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

coolcows wrote:
My profile has been one with extreme ups and downs so i would just like to know if i should even apply for colleges.
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%
Studied Engineering at a top NIT for 3 years before dropping out to pursue my Gaming career tried to make my hobby a career but Failed in the said gaming career. Did my graduation in Economics and Accounting passed with 50% marks.
Got at job at a nationalized Bank. Handled corporate finance for my branch with around $0.5 Billion worth of loans. Also worked for a bit in Forex Department handling import section. Total work Ex 2 years. Have some diplomas in Banking and Finance from Indian institute of Banking and Finance.
Switched jobs and got a job in the premier investigative agency of India where i have been working for 3 years now working as an investigator, investigating financial crimes. Worked on some very high profile Financial crimes while being here.
Gave GMAT last year and scored 740. I can increase the score more if it can increase my chances of landing a good college.
The reason i want to pursue MBA is to get a more rewarding job. The present one is extremely stressful with almost 15 days of traveling, sometimes to extremely small places with no fixed schedule.

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 07:46
oneMBAcoach wrote:
Hello coolcows

Yours is certainly an interesting story.
First things first- your GMAT is good. Higher is always better, but it will not significantly change your chances.
From here it depends on your overall profile and the story you choose to tell in your applications.
Any good B-School is interested in knowing you via admission factors mentioned here.
Your journey can work both positively or negatively depending on how you convey your story. You can choose to show following your passion-->failing-->learning from failure-->bouncing back. Everybody loves a redemption story. That said, if we break down your profile, we can observe strengths and weaknesses-
1. Acads- Past scores are not stellar, but your GMAT compensates for that. So this checks off a box.
2. Quality of Work Ex- Though the jump seems random on paper- you should show why you made such a transition. You have handled a big business in the past, but it would help to also mention what have been your key accomplishments.
3. Diversity- Extracurricular activities help, you should write about those. At the same time, your investigation experience could be used to bring out diversity in your profile (something Indians are at a disadvantage usually as they make up a big pool of applicants)
4. Career Goals- Finally coming to the biggest piece of the admissions puzzle. By far this looks the weakest argument. On a personal level I understand where you are coming from but this is not going to sell to the admissions committee and lack of goals will not allow you to reap full benefits of an MBA. I recommend you can add to your research by reading this. But finalizing realistic career goals is definitely the need of the hour.
To sum it up yes your profile will draw extreme reactions so it is up to you how you choose to portray it.
Shortlisting schools is another trick, and will require to deeply understand your profile and motivation on a qualitative level.
Needless to say final success will depend on how you tie all of this in your written application.
Should the feel the need to discuss this further, let me know.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%
thankyou very much for replying. Appreciate you taking out your time. I'll keep in mind your advice.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
SVP
SVP
G
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q800 V740

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 08:53
Top Contributor
coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hi coolcows,

At the outset, let us say that you should definitely be putting your best foot forward and applying confidently. You can certainly make it to top programs.
- The academics part is a bit fuzzy but after you have done very well in your career. Banking, forensic audits and financial crime, and earlier gaming lend strong diversity to your profile, which, if leveraged well, can get you some excellent results. From your background, you will need to build a clear story in terms of your post-MBA goals and why an MBA now makes sense, but that can be done.
- Your GMAT score is great as well. Are you looking at business schools beyond ISB/India as well?

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.

GyanOne | Top MBA Rankings and MBA Admissions Blog

Top MBA Admissions Consulting | Top MiM Admissions Consulting

Premium MBA Essay Review|Best MBA Interview Preparation|Exclusive GMAT coaching

Get a FREE Detailed MBA Profile Evaluation | Call us now +91 98998 31738

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 09:00
GyanOne wrote:
coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hi coolcows,

At the outset, let us say that you should definitely be putting your best foot forward and applying confidently. You can certainly make it to top programs.
- The academics part is a bit fuzzy but after you have done very well in your career. Banking, forensic audits and financial crime, and earlier gaming lend strong diversity to your profile, which, if leveraged well, can get you some excellent results. From your background, you will need to build a clear story in terms of your post-MBA goals and why an MBA now makes sense, but that can be done.
- Your GMAT score is great as well. Are you looking at business schools beyond ISB/India as well?

I am majorly looking at European business schools. Mainly the top 15 ones. Others due to prohibitively high cost I am not sure are worth it. I am pretty skeptical though about my chances due to poor academics in the past.

SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 09:05
Top Contributor
coolcows wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hi coolcows,

I am majorly looking at European business schools. Mainly the top 15 ones. Others due to prohibitively high cost I am not sure are worth it. I am pretty skeptical though about my chances due to poor academics in the past.

Can look at HEC, Said, and Judge, despite the low academics, in Europe.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 09:15
GyanOne wrote:
coolcows wrote:
GyanOne wrote:
[quote="coolcows"]My profile has been one with extreme ups and downs so i would just like to know if i should even apply for colleges.
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hi coolcows,

Can look at HEC, Said, and Judge, despite the low academics, in Europe.[/quote] Thankyou very much for your suggestions.

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 22:46
coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hi coolcows,

Thanks for your query.

You certainly have a very interesting profile with both positives and negatives :-)

A lot is definitely working for you - a strong GMAT score (that compensates for your below par academics); diverse professional experience, especially considering you experience as an investigator, and as a gamer in the past. These elements will definitely help add passion to your essays, as well as act as a differntiating factor.

On the flip side, your profile will not come across as a very stable one, and the switch etc. from banking sector to investigation will raise a few brows.

Having said the above, there is no reason to believe that you should not apply. You, most certainly, should! A lot will depend on how you tell your story, how you speak of your learnings from the lows you have had, and how you portray what you wish to do in the future. In this regard, the need for MBA, as well as your career goals will be immensely important and you will need to focus on making these both convincing and logical in every way possible. Thus, you chances are largely dependent on the sort of essays you put forth.

Hence, it could swing either way, but a carefuuly crafted application may just end up appealing to the Admissions Committee and is definitely worth a shot!

Should you feel the need to discuss this in graeter detail, feel free to reach out.

All the best!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 23:07
Hi,

Can someone tell me my chances of making it to ISB YLP?

I have 10th: 9.6 CGPA, 12th: 93.2%, (bo4:97.25%) made it to Economics Honours at SRCC with CGPA 7.5. I have been involved in various extracurricular activities and leadership roles. I have also completed two internships in finance in reputed organisations. I have also written 2-3 research papers all of which have been published. Alongside achieved a prize for a leadership panel discussion with University of Chicago. I have not given my GMAT yet but targeting a score of 730.
SVP
SVP
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 23:10
Top Contributor
prashasti23 wrote:
Hi,

I have 10th: 9.6 CGPA, 12th: 93.2%, (bo4:97.25%) made it to Economics Honours at SRCC with CGPA 7.5. I have been involved in various extracurricular activities and leadership roles. I have also completed two internships in finance in reputed organisations. I have also written 2-3 research papers all of which have been published. Alongside achieved a prize for a leadership panel discussion with University of Chicago. I have not given my GMAT yet but targeting a score of 730.

Hi Prashasti

Your chances of making it to the YLP are bright. Your GMAT score is strong, your SRCC education and research will distinguish you, and your acads are quite good as well.

Director
Director
G
Affiliations: one MBA coach
Schools: HBS, INSEAD, HEC, ISB, Rotman, IIMA , IIM, EDHEC
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.75

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 23:16
Hello prashasti23

Your high school grades are good. Graduations scores are decent (not stellar) but your background may help you.
Definitely target a 730+ it will strengthen your chances.
Your research papers cal also help. However you should mention more around your internship and extracurricular experience- you have left that info very vague.
What sort of activities, what is the impact. What internships, which companies, what was your learning and contribution. What sort of leadership experiences? That will help give a meaningful impact. This qualitative info will make up your overall profile- you can read more here on how to get into ISB.
Final success will of course depend on what stories you choose to tell.
Lastly mention why you wish to pursue PGP at ISB? You could supplement your research by reading here.
Overall chances look good if you put together a strong application.

Best
Varun Sharma
+919137133507
Free Profile Review
MBAkarma.com
GMAT Score Predictor
info@mbakarma.com

prashasti23 wrote:
Hi,

Varun Sharma
MBAkarma.com
info (at) MBAkarma (dot) com

Experts' Global Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 03 Jul 2018, 23:24
prashasti23 wrote:
Hi,

Hi prashasti23,

With your CGPA, the SRCC pedigree, research papers, a 730 on the GMAT, as well as your extra-curricular activities, the chances look very bright for you! :-) That said, a lot will also depend on how you craft your essays and articulate your case before the Admissions Committee (complete with how you see the ISB YLP fitting in with your future aspirations). Basically, your profile is in place, you only need to put it forward now :-)

Should you feel the need for a detailed discussion, feel free to reach out.

Good Luck!

Akanksha Baldawa
Experts' Global
Students from 20+ nationalities
Every 10th Indian in US top 50 is our student!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Preparation Online | 15 GMAT Practice Tests
MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2018, 05:01
ABatExpertsGlobal wrote:
coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hi coolcows,

Thanks for your query.

You certainly have a very interesting profile with both positives and negatives :-)

A lot is definitely working for you - a strong GMAT score (that compensates for your below par academics); diverse professional experience, especially considering you experience as an investigator, and as a gamer in the past. These elements will definitely help add passion to your essays, as well as act as a differntiating factor.

On the flip side, your profile will not come across as a very stable one, and the switch etc. from banking sector to investigation will raise a few brows.

Having said the above, there is no reason to believe that you should not apply. You, most certainly, should! A lot will depend on how you tell your story, how you speak of your learnings from the lows you have had, and how you portray what you wish to do in the future. In this regard, the need for MBA, as well as your career goals will be immensely important and you will need to focus on making these both convincing and logical in every way possible. Thus, you chances are largely dependent on the sort of essays you put forth.

Hence, it could swing either way, but a carefuuly crafted application may just end up appealing to the Admissions Committee and is definitely worth a shot!

Should you feel the need to discuss this in graeter detail, feel free to reach out.

All the best!
Thankyou for the reply. Do you think I have a realistic chance of getting into top 10-15 Bschool from Europe?

Admission Consultant
P

Show Tags

New post 05 Jul 2018, 02:03
coolcows wrote:
Age 29
Nationality Indian

My profile is as follows
Class 10- 85%
Class 12- 65%

Hello fellow Gamer,

I worked in online gambling, a similar field, although I didn't start a business, but worked for one.

Back to you- I think one of the factors that will work in your favor is that adcoms are in general accepting of failures.They like to know what you learned out of failures, how you improved and why you are all the more better now. I can't say for sure without understanding your overall profile, but it might be worthy to mention this story somewhere in the application.

It seems like your career got on track after the initial rocky start. It would be great to learn more about your present career and I hope that you reach out to us to discuss it sometime soon. Going by what you have mentioned here, I would advise you to draw the linkages between your two jobs to show an upward career trajectory. My second advice is to come up with more solid reasons for doing the MBA - I know what you mention here may not be what you will actually write in your application, but just as a word of caution, I will tell you to pull out the meaningful experiences in the past 3 years and say how they have shaped your mind to achieve some ambitious goals, which will not be a possible without an MBA. In effect, I am asking you to put a positive spin to your story, because afterall the MBA application is your marketing document and you seem to have done some awesome work, despite the long hours and the dry work.

Regarding the b-schools, I'd focus on the ones that are strong in the industry where you wish to work after MBA. Another criterion would be their international job placement scene.

Namita Garg,
http://www.mbadecoder.com
Contact us at: contact@mbadecoder.com

Our new book on AMAZON Kindle: THE MOST DEFINITIVE GUIDE FOR MBA INTERVIEW PREPARATION

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile evaluation. &nbs [#permalink] 05 Jul 2018, 02:03

Profile evaluation.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap