It is currently 20 Nov 2017, 07:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - 26y/o Male - Corporate Finance

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 2

Profile Evaluation - 26y/o Male - Corporate Finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Feb 2009, 20:11
-edit-

Last edited by MrPink78 on 16 Feb 2009, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 568 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - 26y/o Male - Corporate Finance [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 11:03
HBS/Wharton/Stanford: these are going to be real stretches for you. You have a solid all around profile, but unless you have a blue chip resume (Ivy-equivalent, exclusive employers, etc.) or something exceptional in your extracurriculars (published author, nationally ranked athlete, etc.) then it's really a lottery ticket. If you're itching to apply, just pick one as your hail mary and focus on other schools.

The rest of the schools you should be competitive for -- there will be plenty of people like yourself at these schools. Choose 4-5 to focus on from this list, and you should be able to get into at least one of them if you put together strong applications.

Your GMAT score is fine. It's not going to be a handicap, and any higher of a score will have a marginal impact at best on your candidacy.

p.s. did you surf when you were in SLO?

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 12:01
Shell beach and morrow were definitely some of my favorite spots (although I probably spent more time with a beer in hand admiring the "scenery" at the former) 8-)

Did you get up out in SLO?

Also, If I have another year or two before applying - Is there anything I can do to strengthen my profile?

I have also been looking at various volunteer abroad (I'm lacking significant international experience) programs. Although it would be short (2 weeks), would this have any significant impact on my profile? Anything else I should focus on?

Thanks Alex -

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 15:00
Anything international would be an asset in your case. Also, from your profile your analytical skills speaks for itself - you were a biz undergrad, and you work in a biz career already (finance), so there is no doubt that you'll do well academically in school, and that you won't have too much trouble finding a decent job coming out of b-school. What isn't as obvious is "the guy behind the resume" - your group/team/leadership skills which you can draw from your extracurriculars (and if you can dig an even deeper well, you will have even more to draw from -- i.e. continue to deepen your involvement in the extracurricular orgs that you're in). Again, short of joining the military or doing something completely different in your life, the impact of anything you do in the next year or two will be incremental (and if it's transformational, you'll know that if it happens), which can only help your case. Having said that, if you're ready to apply this coming fall, by all means apply. It also comes down to the economy as well and where you're at job-wise. As you know, financial services is in the dumps right now and probably will be for a few years; so that's something to take into account - I personally feel that independent of the economy, you're best off going in your mid-20s, and it makes less sense as you get older. But if you're really focused on getting into financial services, it may be worth waiting an extra year or two (but no more).

As for SLO, I knew a girl who grew up there. :-)

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Feb 2009, 19:11
Right on... Great analysis, I appreciate your insights. Thanks again.

Can recommend any international volunteer orgs that are legit?

Show Tags

New post 22 Feb 2009, 16:32
You can always try the big ones - Amnesty International, Greenpeace, or Doctors Without Borders (Medecins San Frontieres). Or you can always see if you can work with any of the UN agencies like UNICEF (although these would be full-time positions, not volunteer). I don't know a lot about the international scene; one of the sites you can try for volunteer opportunities is www.idealist.org

Good luck

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2009, 22:12
Hey Alex -

Curious to hear you thoughts on the University of San Francisco Master's in Financial Analysis program. (2 yr Part-time Professional's program on weekends)
http://www.usfca.edu/artsci/grad/financ ... index.html

**To clarify - my above post was framing (admittedly optimistic) where I was planning to be when I apply to b-school. Currently Im 23.5 yrs/old with only 1.5 yrs work exp and a L2 CFA candiadate.***

I would like to get out of corp fin into the banking or asset management and was thinking this might be away do to that pre-mba while still keeping my day job.

I still do plan on getting an MBA in the future around 27-28 years old.

A couple questions

1. Would doing the Masters be redundant to the CFA? (worth the $$?)
2. How likely is it to get job offers from coming a part-time program?
3. Thoughts on this program? http://www.usfca.edu/artsci/grad/financ ... index.html
4. Would it be better to do a more "prestigious" full-time program? Even in this market?
5. I do want to get an MBA eventually, would doing the MSF be wise? (hurt/help MBA application?)

Thanks Alex

Show Tags

New post 02 Mar 2009, 11:01
It would be wise to use what time you have to develop contacts within the industry. The career path you want isn't one where it's about collecting the most credentials. Collecting degrees is easy, developing a network and gaining experience is hard. But it's the hard stuff that you need to do.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com

Re: Profile Evaluation - 26y/o Male - Corporate Finance   [#permalink] 02 Mar 2009, 11:01

Profile Evaluation - 26y/o Male - Corporate Finance

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap