Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 20:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 20:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Sia Admissions Representative
Affiliations: NYU, Yale
Own Kudos [?]: 145 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi

Thank you for your post and for sharing your profile. I appreciate the time you took to lay out your career progression. I have answered your questions directly below (in blue).

Will it be disadvantageous for me to pursue a regular MBA programme in any of the B-schools considering that I have more than 9 years of prior work experience? I am keen on opting for a full-time program only. The challenging part for a traditional 2 -year MBA is that you will be around people that have less experience than you. While you are in the MBA program, you want to not only learn from professors, but also from peers. This might prove challenging because of your 9+ years of experience. There are, of course, people that have managed to gain admission to an F-T MBA program. You just want to show the institution why this makes sense for you
• Can you suggest some top B-schools in US, Canada and Singapore where I should apply considering my profile? Providing a list of programs is a process; I require a detailed understanding of clients profile to help them put together a list of schools. Some top programs that come to mind in Real Estate are NYU, Columbia, Rotman at U. of Toronto. You can reference this article to help you put together a list of schools that make the most sense for you.
• Do you think I should pursue a regular MBA program or I should also consider other programs like Masters in Real Estate Finance/Masters in Finance or any other program that may be well suited for my profile? The answer to this depends on what you are looking to gain out of this experience. Generally speaking, an MBA will give you a broad understanding of the diversity of perspectives that one must consider in building a business. A Master's in Real Estate Finance or Finance will have their own focus. What are you looking to gain from this experience? Because you have over 9 years experience (10 at matriculation), you might also want to look at the Sloan Fellows programs at MIT and Stanford. These are about 1-year F-T MBA programs designed for professionals with years of experience in management (8+ for Stanford and 10+ for MIT). You will not only learn from highly qualified professors, but also from peers who bring a similar profile like yours.

I hope this helps!

I am happy to continue the conversation. If interested, please click here to reach out and schedule a free consultation.

Good luck!

Ninjaz wrote:
Hi,

I am planning to target B-Schools from US, Canada and Singapore for the intake of 2019. Kindly evaluate my profile and suggest the next steps

Male, 33 years
Qualifications: B. Arch IIT Roorkee
Work Experience: Overall 9 years of experience, currently Vice President – Real Estate Investments at a financial services company at Mumbai

GMAT 700-720 Estimated - Actual Test date: Oct 2018
Interested in: Full-time MBA and MS / MiM programs
Geography / Class Start Year preference: USA / Canada / Singapore / Hong Kong for classes starting in Feb 2019 or later

I firmly believe that my strong professional experience coupled with my involvement in diverse extracurricular activities and leadership skills make my profile unique.
At my undergraduate college at Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee, I contested for and was initially elected Hostel Secretary and later elected Vice President of Student Affairs Council. In those positions, I had a number of responsibilities in addition to undertaking a number of initiatives that helped improve the standard of hostel life for my peers and successfully organize college fests.
Armed with a Bachelors of Architecture from one of the most reputed technical institutions of India, I started my professional career as a project management consultant with Jones Lang LaSalle in Bangalore, India. During this tenure, I was responsible for managing the construction of a Platinum rated LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certified commercial building in Bangalore for an American multinational corporation, which was the world’s largest provider of data-storage systems. Serving in challenging client-facing roles, combined with the many leadership opportunities that were presented to me, honed my people-management, time-management, and communication skills. Further, I was handpicked to lead the Business development efforts for my vertical in the South Indian region. It served as a perfect platform to gain industry insights and provided me with an opportunity to closely interact with other verticals within the organisation.
Post a fulfilling stint at Jones Lang LaSalle, I was fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work for a fast growing financial services company in Mumbai. Here, I was entrusted to be a part of the founding team for the Structured Finance desk specializing in Real Estate funding. The Cumulative value of transactions executed by me would be in excess of INR 5 Bn. Within a short span of time, I positioned myself as a subject-matter expert in the real estate finance vertical as I had the technical knowledge of the sector by virtue of being a qualified architect and I had quickly developed the acumen of a financial analyst. I was also recognized with several awards and an ahead-of-track promotion.
My quest to expand on the horizontal knowledge areas still motivates me to consider an MBA. Fully aware of the risk of letting go of a very rewarding career and the significant investment and opportunity costs involved, I have decided to step out of my comfort zone and experience a holistic learning opportunity.
With this learning in my pocket already, I look forward to the many more pockets that I have yet to fill while I expand my career in real estate to position myself as an astute investment and asset management professional in the global real estate arena.

• Will it be disadvantageous for me to pursue a regular MBA programme in any of the B-schools considering that I have more than 9 years of prior work experience? I am keen on opting for a full time program only.
• Can you suggest some top B-schools in US, Canada and Singapore where I should apply considering my profile?
• Do you think I should pursue a regular MBA program or I should also consider other programs like Masters in Real Estate Finance/Masters in Finance or any other program that may be well suited for my profile?
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]