Summer is Coming! Join the Game of Timers Competition to Win Epic Prizes. Registration is Open. Game starts Mon July 1st.

It is currently 17 Jul 2019, 07:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Dec 2018, 05:09
Hi there,

I would like to start my MBA in Sep 2020. I will have 5 years experience in the renewable energy industry (offshore wind farm installation) as a project engineer/manager. I got my degree Msc in Environmental Engineering at Ghent University in Belgium. I finished my Master with great distinction.

Other important points:
-GMAT 710 (Q50/V36)
-I want to transition to a finance role (investment banking)
-Belgian nationality - 26 years old now
-My preferred schools are: LBS/Oxford/Cambridge/Insead/HEC

Are the above schools possible for me?
Experts' Global Representative
S
Re: Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jan 2019, 04:37
DorianH1992 wrote:
Hi there,

I would like to start my MBA in Sep 2020. I will have 5 years experience in the renewable energy industry (offshore wind farm installation) as a project engineer/manager. I got my degree Msc in Environmental Engineering at Ghent University in Belgium. I finished my Master with great distinction.

Other important points:
-GMAT 710 (Q50/V36)

Hi DorianH1992,

Apologies for a delayed response.

Considering you are looking at a career switch, a lot will depend on how well you portray your intent for a career in finance, as well as your competencies for the same. Be prepared for a lot of questions :) The key will, therefore, be to put forth a stellar set of essays explaining your need for an MBA and your choice of career goals.

Further to the above, considering you are targetting some top-notch programs, especially LBS & INSEAD, we do suggest that you retake the GMAT; an improved score will boost your chances.

Hope this helps!

All the best!
$ 2Mn+ Scholarship Each Year Since 2010!
GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | MBA Interview Preparation
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 21:28
Hi DorianH1992, this is not quite enough information but I do like that you have experience in an interesting industry, it's a bit distinguished and diverse. Would be interesting to know what kind of community service you've done if any. You will need to demonstrate contribution.

710 is not awesome but it is not terrible especially for European programs and to my knowledge Belgians are modestly under-represented similar to French. So the GMAT should not be a huge obstacle for that particular profile group.

Would be ideal if you could find a way to leverage your background like find some type of IB PE or VC concern that services the renewable energy industry. It's important to connect the dots and I think that will be key to your success. You need to have something of value to offer employers in addition to an MBA.

I think the schools that you have listed are within reach, you have a good quant score and I don't think it's absolutely compulsory that you retake the exam. If you feel that you have a better score in you than by all means to, because the GMAT factors into scholarship decisions and things like that.

But for the sake of getting in I think you're okay as long as you excel in all of the other areas of the application, a high-impact resume that shows proof of quantifiable accomplishments, recommendations that tell anecdotes showing you as a problem and a leader, teamwork stories, Innovation etcetera.

Of course the essays and for INSEAD there are plenty of them and then of course the video interviews in applicable.

Unless you've been working hard this past month round 1 is probably not going to be possible for INSEAD, but definitely apply by round 2! You should get started on it right now if you haven't already.

January term is the only good time to do this because you get a seven-week internship and Investment Banking is really internship oriented. Full-time hires come out of internships.

I think that I would recommend you apply to INSEAD Jan, strive for LBS round 3 in due in a month, HEC Jan batch, and if nothing pans out then think about Cambridge and Oxford in the fall.

LBS in round 3 is a little bit risky but Belgians are not falling out of the sky so I think your profile will be adequately diverse to be competitive. Should you do a bang-up job on the application. LBS can be either a one-year program or two-year program so this allows for an internship. Ironically you can actually do two of them there.

Get in touch if you're curious about partnering with someone

http://mbaprepcoach.com
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2019, 22:05
DorianH1992 wrote:
Hi there,

Other important points:
-GMAT 710 (Q50/V36)

Hi Dorian,

While an MBA at the above-listed programs is certainly possible assuming you have a stellar profile and will submit a strong application, I'd be more concerned about your career goals. Seems like you are doing project implementation at your organization. with no experience in finance, justifying a career move to IB sounds difficult. We will have to dig deeper to understand your work experience and how you can show a transition to IB with your current skill set. I am going to ask you to really research your career goals, possibly discuss them with us.

For INSEAD, their Jan intake is where most students interested in IB go, as the associated internship is required to break into IB. Keep that in mind while researching your goals.

Also look into consulting as a viable career option.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Totally Invested In Your Success. Therefore, unlimited essay guidance and unlimited communication with you.
Intern
Intern
B
Status: All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Profile evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 01 Feb 2019, 18:53
Hi experts

Please evaluate my profile and suggest some good business schools within top 20 for my profile

Gmat -700 -Q49,V35
Nationality - indian
Work experience - Software developer in MS Dynamics CRM domain, 6.7 years , including 20 months of international experience at clients Honda, Belgium and HSBC , UK
Post MBA goal - work for top tech companies like Microsoft , Google , HP , Amazon in roles- operations or internal consulting or product management.
A one year tech MBA in Cornell or Stern would have suited me best , but I missed deadlines of both the colleges for this year intake.

Preferred schools - Top 20 in USA

Thanks
Saikrishna

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
Profile evaluation   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2019, 18:53

Profile evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status