GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 14 Oct 2019, 11:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.02
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Feb 2019, 08:28
Nationality: Georgia
GPA: 3 out of 4
Work Experience: 3 years in EY, 2 years in the leading producer and bottler of fine mineral waters in CIS countries
GMAT: 740 (Q50, V40, IR5)

Should I take a shot for TOP 10 US MBA schools?
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2019, 20:17
It's a bit hard to say without more information about you but based on what you shared here I think it's worth a shot. Your GPA is on the low end - the adcom will be a bit more forgiving of that if you went to a very top school (although you will still be on the low end there). Your GMAT is definitely strong. A lot will depend on the specifics of your work experience - namely, what you have accomplished & the meaningful (and quantifiable) results you have driven. They'll be looking for evidence of leadership skills as well, both at work & in your extracurriculars. And finally, your post-MBA goals will be a critical piece to your candidacy. The adcom wants to not only see the specifics of what you plan to do (i.e. the problems you plan to help solve, the opportunities you plan to help take advantage of) but also WHY this is your passion.

So like I said, based on what you shared here I think you have a shot at top 10 but the strength of your candidacy will rest on these other factors that I named here.

If you'd like to talk through it min more detail definitely reach out to Claudia at claudia@admissionado.com. She can get you set up with one of our MBA consultants, who can take a look at your resume & talk through your goals with you -- which will also help them give you a more specific assessment on the overall strength of your candidacy.

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 04 Mar 2019, 03:32
Hi
Can you throw some light on suitability if my application for an MBA
Nationality: Indian
BE in Mechanical Engineering
9 years of work ex by June 2019 in oil and gas sector- a mix of both operations and sales profiles
Graduation GPA 8 out of 10
Target GMAT score 730
Age 31 years

I am concerned about my candidacy due to my age and high work experience.
I must also admit that I have done very little homework for an MBA as I am not very sure if this is the right time for me to do an MBA considering my age and work experience. Your honest views will be very helpful

Posted from my mobile device
Admissionado
P
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2019, 08:45
Hi Summit6683, As an Indian male engineer, unfortunately you are coming from the very toughest demographic when it comes to b-school applicants. It's also one that tends to have very high GMAT scores so while a 730 would typically be considered a strong score among Indian male engineers it's just average or even a bit on the low side (scores among people who get into top 20 schools is typically 740+). Your age will make it hard to get into full time programs, since the average years of work experience they are looking for is typically in the 3-5 range. When you have significantly more than that it presents a challenge in your candidacy. Another important factor is your career goals, since your basis for why you need the MBA rests on those.

You could consider European schools like Oxford, where the average age tends to be a bit higher - although you will still be on the high end there as well. LBS & INSEAD will be firmly in the stretch category for you but you could consider schools like Rotterdam in the Netherlands or Manchester, where you'd have a better chance of getting in. If you want to target US schools, I'd aim for schools in the 30-40 range (we typically use US New & World Report rankings)

Your goals are also an important factor in your overall candidacy as well as in school selection. The most common post-MBA goals among your demographic are product manager in a tech firm & consulting, so if you have goals that are NOT those that's all the better in terms of differentiating yourself. Something in the oil & gas industry could be an option for example since that's your background & it's a slightly less common goal.

==

***NEW Admissionado Products & Services! ***

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Now, read up and get smart:

That'll get you started. Still have questions? Reach out, and let’s gab. 
Our only requirement is that you don’t prefer warm milk over cold milk. Everyone else, 100% welcome.

Email: claudia@admissionado.com
Young People: WhatsApp or WeChat (@JonFrankHBS)
Older: FacebookTwitterLinkedIn 
Oldest: 866-409-4753

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: Admissionado