GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 19 Jun 2019, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation.

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Profile Evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 02:25
Hi my name is Himanshu Laxkar 28 male, from India.

Bachelor of Engineering, (Information Technology) from Jabalpur Engineering College, which is one of the oldest colleges in the country. It was established in 1947, right when India got its independence.

I scored 66.2% during my undergrad, which sounds low mainly because of 2 reasons. First I have been suffering from severe OCD for last 15 years of my life, which has taken toll on my GPA. Second, mine was an autonomous College. We had a typical grading system in which highest a student can get was around 8. Considering these 2 points 66.2% is actually an achievement for me.

I also stood 1st or 2nd rank continuously in my class from 1st to 10th standard during school.

I have 3 years of work experience as a software developer at Accenture which is Fortune 500 company. My role there as a team member was to develop website for UK based Carphone Warehouse. I got 1 promotion also during this period.

I have been associated with the Art of Living organization for 7 years. It was founded by His Holiness Sri Sri Ravi Shankar. I have volunteered there for organizing different events and programs, visited old age homes, gaushalas, apart from weekly follow up on Saturdays or sundays, when we do yoga collectively at the center.
I have also volunteered at my college for organizing Tech-Fests, Ted-x events etc.

Kindly, help me with 2 of my queries:

1- My target schools are HBS, Stanford, Wharton. How much do I need to score on Gmat, given my background, nationality etc. What else do you think I can do to improve my chances.

2- I am planning to switch my career to business analyst, this month. Is it going to help me in my MBA admission. Since Indian IT engineer is very competitive and over represented pool.

Posted from my mobile device
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Profile Evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 May 2019, 06:40
Hi Laxkar,

Thank you for your post. Please note that the individuals who previously applied to your post are *not affiliated* with Avanti Prep.

Regarding the specifics of your post, targeting Harvard, Stanford, and Wharton is an extremely difficult proposition. Even with a 760 GMAT, and even if you transition professional roles, the Indian applicants who get into those schools typically come from the top of their class at the very best Indian universities, have prestige work experience in front-office business roles (e.g., top-tier consulting, top-tier investment banking, private equity, or similar), and have blue-chip leadership and community impact (i.e., not just volunteering, but deep leadership and impact).

So my first advice would be to familiarize yourself more deeply with the admissions landscape and target your school targets accordingly (i.e., build a wider or much wider and more diverse school strategy). Indian applicants with a 760 GMAT score still have only around a 5% acceptance rate to Wharton, and again, the 5% who get in most often have the other credentials I've listed above. I've shared a series of links below that will help you better understand the admissions landscape, both qualitatively and quantitatively. Once you have a GMAT score, I (and others) would be able to give you more targeted advice. (But again, even with a 760, H / S / W are going to be extremely difficult.)

Transitioning to a business role should be helpful in that it moves you out of the overpopulated software / tech pool and helps you build a business foundation and business story. You are, after all, applying to business school. It will also enable you to present a nice hybrid of technology and business experience / skills, which can be valuable depending on your goals. One caveat I'd note, however, is that "business analyst" and/or "business" roles are not created equal. The diversification of experience may help, but to compete for top programs, where you work and what you do matters, too. (Another caveat is that if you plan to apply this year, you're only going to have a few months in the role before you apply.)

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-indian-m ... 56968.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/mba-admissio ... 39142.html

http://www.mbadataguru.com/blog/admissi ... pplicants/

https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

Best of luck with your upcoming plans. Please feel free to update the post or sign up for a Free Consultation once you've officially landed your GMAT score. When the time does come, you can sign up for a Free Consultation via this link: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg
Intern
Intern
B
Re: Profile Evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 02:14
Hi Greg,

I had one more question. Whether Business Analyst in IT sector would be considered as a business role or as an IT role.

Posted from my mobile device
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
S
Re: Profile Evaluation.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 07:52
Thank you, Laxkar. It would be construed as a "business role" within a technology or IT company (as long as what you're doing is functionally business-oriented in nature). There might even some nice synergy in that you've worked on the technology side, so in that business role, you can tie together your knowledge of the industry from the technology side as well. Looking ahead to your applications, there could be some good synergy and the early seeds of a professional story in there somewhere.

In your applications, you will be attempting to define very specific career goals and then articulate how who you are and what you've done to this point -- plus the MBA -- equals, leads to, or enables those goals. Another way to think about it would be how your current (and very specific) knowledge, skills, and experience, plus the (very specific) knowledge, skills, and experiences you'd gain through an MBA, likewise equal, lead to, or enable those goals.

(And eventually, you will in your applications and through your school research and engagement want to be able to articulate how exactly each program to which you apply helps you fill the knowledge-skill-experience gap described above... which courses, clubs, extracurriculars, conferences, case competitions, research centers, special programs, etc... what about each school's unique culture, community, or location make it right for you... how you would uniquely contribute, etc.)

Thanks!
Greg
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation.   [#permalink] 29 May 2019, 07:52

Profile Evaluation.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: AvantiPrep