GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 08 Apr 2020, 14:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Jan 2020, 19:57

Ethnicity: African American

Undergrad: Top 15 engineering school in TX. BS Industrial Mgmt 2.89 GPA, project mgmt minor and business minor

Experience: 3 years in operations for industrial gas company (1st year was rotational)

Extracurricular: Football walk on (1 year), 2 leadership roles in student orgs, self trained musician

Targets: PT Mccombs, PT Jones

Post MBA Goal: Strategy Consulting (Accenture, Deloitte, etc)

Is there any GMAT score that would make my targets obtainable? Any other recommendations?

Posted from my mobile device
SVP
SVP
D
Re: Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 00:59
Bounceback2020 wrote:

Undergrad: Top 15 engineering school in TX. BS Industrial Mgmt 2.89 GPA, project mgmt minor and business minor

Experience: 3 years in operations for industrial gas company (1st year was rotational)

Extracurricular: Football walk on (1 year), 2 leadership roles in student orgs, self trained musician

Is there any GMAT score that would make my targets obtainable? Any other recommendations?

Hi,

Just wondering why you are not targeting full-time MBAs? you are at the perfect age/ level of work experience for them. I understand the decision could be driven by a lot of personal factors, but I hope you have thought about full tie MBA programs as well.

Ask us for ASSESSING YOUR MBA CHANCES

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 18 Jan 2020, 07:54
(Typo)

Originally posted by Bounceback2020 on 18 Jan 2020, 07:52.
Last edited by Bounceback2020 on 18 Jan 2020, 07:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 07:53
MBADecoder wrote:
Bounceback2020 wrote:

Hi,

Just wondering why you are not targeting full-time MBAs? you are at the perfect age/ level of work experience for them. I understand the decision could be driven by a lot of personal factors, but I hope you have thought about full tie MBA programs as well.

Thank you for your quick reply. I’m not sure how the financials would work for me. Really want to go to mccombs FT but that is $110,000 I do not currently have, and would also miss out on around $140,000 (or more) in salary. PT I may be able to pay for my MBA while working with minimal loans, and if I can break into consulting I think I’d be able to break even in no time. Plus my GPA isn’t very good in terms of FT programs (switched major twice and tried to balance sports), but I am confident with taking GMAT. I don’t think MBAs are worth it anyway unless going to T20 (M7 probably out of the question)
SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 10:08
Bounceback2020 wrote:
MBADecoder wrote:
Bounceback2020 wrote:

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply. I’m not sure how the financials would work for me. Really want to go to mccombs FT but that is $110,000 I do not currently have, and would also miss out on around $140,000 (or more) in salary. PT I may be able to pay for my MBA while working with minimal loans, and if I can break into consulting I think I’d be able to break even in no time. Plus my GPA isn’t very good in terms of FT programs (switched major twice and tried to balance sports), but I am confident with taking GMAT. I don’t think MBAs are worth it anyway unless going to T20 (M7 probably out of the question)

1. You GPA damage can be controlled with a strong GMAT score and by presenting a strong application
2. I did look at the McComb's evening MBA website. They have a consulting club which should help in post MBA recruitments, but my understanding is that an internship is required to land a consulting job- I hope you have talked to current students and got heir opinion on how easy it is to make a transition after part-time MBA.
3. GMAT- its always good to get a high score. Who knows as you move along in the MBA admissions process, you may start considering a FT MBA and that would require score closeto 700

Invested In Your Success
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 21:01
1. You GPA damage can be controlled with a strong GMAT score and by presenting a strong application
2. I did look at the McComb's evening MBA website. They have a consulting club which should help in post MBA recruitments, but my understanding is that an internship is required to land a consulting job- I hope you have talked to current students and got heir opinion on how easy it is to make a transition after part-time MBA.
3. GMAT- its always good to get a high score. Who knows as you move along in the MBA admissions process, you may start considering a FT MBA and that would require score closeto 700[/quote]

Thanks for the insight, I may look at some full time programs as well. Some current students said plenty landed big 4 consulting gigs from the part time program. Gonna try to get well over a 700, min did extremely well on the SAT

SVP
SVP
D

Show Tags

New post 18 Jan 2020, 21:11
Bounceback2020 wrote:
3. GMAT- its always good to get a high score. Who knows as you move along in the MBA admissions process, you may start considering a FT MBA and that would require score closeto 700

Thanks for the insight, I may look at some full time programs as well. Some current students said plenty landed big 4 consulting gigs from the part time program. Gonna try to get well over a 700, min did extremely well on the SAT

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]

All the best bounceback.
From my experience as a consultant for several years I know that applicants' views evolve about which program to apply to / what is possible, what is not, in the MBA admissions cycle. As you learn more by talking to current and recent students, you will find yourself forming more solid opinions. That's why I am not ruling out full time programs at this point.
Do continue networking with students - if a consulting career is possible after a part-time MBA, then these programs will work in your favor.
And do keep updating this thread :)

Invested In Your Success
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2020, 21:11

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Update application status