Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 00:06 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 00:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 799 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
A consulting career already going strong in your case. Wonder if you need to go for MBA at this stage ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
rn1112 wrote:
Need to aim at 700+ score for highlighting your applications from the rest, when you apply for these reputed colleges.

So basically you mean that if i don't have a 700+ gmat they won't even consider my application?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 615 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
francescop2001 wrote:
Hi all,
I am a 21 yo student from Italy and I am planning to apply to the MSc in Finance offered by LBS (MFA), LSE and Hec Paris (MiF). I hope to file my application within the 3rd round because I think the 4th will be the most competitive.

Here some additional information on my academic profile:
- I attend the final year BSc Finance at Bocconi (Target school in Italy) and my GPA is 28/30
- I went on Exchange to USA during last semester (GPA 4.0/4)
- 2 Letters of reference from Finance professors
- Fluent in English, conversational German
- I am currently studying for GMAT and I think I will score a 650-690

Regarding my professional experiences:
- In 2020 I did a six figures exit with an online Brand created by me
- In 2021 I founded a financial consultancy company along with a friend who is financial advisor and I am the CEO.
- I didn't do any internship bc I have always been pretty busy with my job and university chores.
- I consider myself as an open-minded guy (I travel a lot, even solo) and I have a very entrepreneurial attitude. Want to be an entrepreneur for a living.

Do you think that odds are on my favour even without a 700-level GMAT?
Thanks in advance!

francescop2001
hope this finds you well. Your profile seems good on the surface. I have worked with LSE applicants there would advise you to keep the following suggestions in mind while preparing your application.

For LSE's MSc Finance particularly, I advise you to cover the following points in your application to show a strong motivation for the program

• Proof of enthusiasm and motivation for study of the subject :

To give context around your choice of métier, you could talk about being passionate about business and finance since early, and supplement your interest with examples of courses or internships/projects you did. Your founding a finance advisory company speaks volumes about your love of this field. Build on it. LSE SOPs are expected to be highly focused on academic learnings (75%). Since you do not have internships, elaborate on learnings from your job and supplemental sources.

• Understanding, experience, and appreciation of the subject through real-life applications and projects:

For this, you can leverage insights from your work. Speak in depth about any projects or finance-related topics that were pivotal in motivating you to explore this subject further. What did you learn during your entrepreneurial stint and how has the learning motivated your decision to study this subject?

• academic focus: Highlight any other academic accolades/scholarships/recognition if any

• Super curricular – what supplementary books, articles, research papers, and newspapers do you read.
What podcasts do you listen to? How do these activities support and complement your interest in the subject?

I advise you to cover this point well in your sops

• Extra Curriculars
Talk about the transferrable skills from ECs that will help you achieve goals as a future business and finance leader.

Other points to keep in mind
• Show originality and thought process in your application
• Show active engagement with the target school and potential recruiters post Masters (show how conscientious you are!)

Pro tip- Write to the professors or request a catchup. You could make a great first impression by seeking insights about some academic subjects and recommendations for supplemental reading. You could talk about it in your SOPs later.

Target a high quant score on GMAT and put your best foot forward.

Best wishes
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatycoon wrote:
Hi all,
I am a 21 yo student from Italy and I am planning to apply to the MSc in Finance offered by LBS (MFA), LSE and Hec Paris (MiF). I hope to file my application within the 3rd round because I think the 4th will be the most competitive.

Here some additional information on my academic profile:
- I attend the final year BSc Finance at Bocconi (Target school in Italy) and my GPA is 28/30
- I went on Exchange to USA during last semester (GPA 4.0/4)
- 2 Letters of reference from Finance professors
- Fluent in English, conversational German
- I am currently studying for GMAT and I think I will score a 650-690

Regarding my professional experiences:
- In 2020 I did a six figures exit with an online Brand created by me
- In 2021 I founded a financial consultancy company along with a friend who is financial advisor and I am the CEO.
- I didn't do any internship bc I have always been pretty busy with my job and university chores.
- I consider myself as an open-minded guy (I travel a lot, even solo) and I have a very entrepreneurial attitude. Want to be an entrepreneur for a living.

Do you think that odds are on my favour even without a 700-level GMAT?
Thanks in advance!

Hey gmatycoon,

I see that you're an international student from Atlanta, and you're aiming for some of the top schools like LBS, HEC Paris, etc. That's fantastic! But here's a friendly suggestion: consider applying to a mix of both your dream schools and some competitive ones. This way, you'll increase your chances of getting accepted into one of the top colleges.

You've got a great profile, with amazing extracurricular activities and achievements. Keep in mind that getting into college is not just about academics but also about your work experience, extracurricular activities, and the impact you've made in your community.

And just a heads up, a high GMAT or GRE score can definitely help boost your application, but it's just one part of the picture. A score of 690 or above is ideal, but don't forget that your essays and the overall application are also important. So take some time to showcase yourself in the best light possible.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km

Originally posted by MiMEssay on 03 Feb 2023, 05:07.
Last edited by MiMEssay on 08 Feb 2023, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys, At the end I scored 590. Do you think it is a complete deal breaker? To be honest, I've got a little bit fed up with Gmat
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatycoon wrote:
Guys, At the end I scored 590. Do you think it is a complete deal breaker? To be honest, I've got a little bit fed up with Gmat

Hey gmatyracoon,

A GMAT score of 590 is below the average range for many top MBA programs, but it's not necessarily a complete deal breaker. Admissions committees consider many factors beyond test scores, including work experience, leadership potential, and other achievements.

If your GMAT score is lower than you'd like, you might consider retaking the test or focusing on other areas of your application to showcase your strengths. However, it's also important to consider whether you're comfortable with the time and effort required to prepare for the GMAT again.

Ultimately, the most important thing is to be honest with yourself about your goals and the resources you're willing to commit to reaching them.

If you need more help, we'd be happy to setup a call and give more pointers on how to improve your profile and the right schools you should target.
You can setup a call via this link:
https://bit.ly/3DSH5km
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatycoon wrote:

gmatycoon

With a GMAT score of 590, your application will be considered slightly below average by LBS, LSE, and HEC Paris.

Admission committees take a holistic approach when evaluating applications, and a low GMAT score is not necessarily a deal breaker. Competitive tests are just one aspect of the overall process. You can use your essays and other parts of your application, such as your letters of recommendation, to highlight your strengths. Your strong academic background, relevant work experiences, and entrepreneurial attitude can be seen as valuable assets and make you a competitive candidate. You need to focus on presenting your best self in your application and demonstrating how you fit with the values and culture of the schools you are applying to.

Having said all that, we strongly recommend that you request for the ESR from GMAC, analyze your test performance carefully and plan for another attempt. It is understandable that you are fed up with the test. But given that the rest of your profile is strong, it makes complete sense to take the effort to present a good score as well so that no opportunity is wasted.

For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Guys, at the end I've taken again my gmat and gotten 750. Yalla

Originally posted by gmatycoon on 10 Feb 2023, 10:26.
Last edited by gmatycoon on 14 May 2023, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
gmatycoon wrote:
Guys, at the end I've taken again gmat today and got 640 (q47, v31). Don't have patience to take it again. What are my chances now?

If you've decided to not take it again, one thing to consider looking into are schools that offer test waivers. There may be some stated requirements you have to fulfill before they give them.

If you change your mind later on, here's a post of someone who improved a V31. Took about 30 days but they got a V40. All the best.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-online- ... 68599.html
Admit Expert Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatycoon wrote:
Guys, at the end I've taken again gmat today and got 640 (q47, v31). Don't have patience to take it again. What are my chances now?

gmatycoon
Either pick schools that have an average GMAT right around your score or try for a test waiver. We at Admit Expert have achieved 100% success in getting our candidates waiver approvals from top schools. We can evaluate your chances for a waiver in detail on a call, during which we can also discuss schools you can target. For a more detailed 1-1 strategy session, please write to contactus@admitexpert.com or fill the form at http://www.admitexpert.com

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot