Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
Hi Paul, thanks for your comments and suggestions.
shall get back to you with more Qs after my Gmat :)

Do the ultra elite schools frown at multiple attempts at GMAT? I have been preparing for just over a month, but want to get done with the test, so that, in case something goes wrong in my 1st attempt, I'l always have ample time to retake the test .. so is that a wise thing to do ?

Thanks in advance

gradmba,

The top schools are fine with up to 3 test attempts. Any more than that and they question your priorities. Or maybe they just don:t want to admit masochists? :) So two times is perfectly fine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
edited

Originally posted by grad_mba on 26 Mar 2007, 15:21.
Last edited by grad_mba on 26 Mar 2007, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
Hi Paul,

guess what ! gave my Gmat today and a scored a 660 (q47,v34) ! umm well .. slightly on the lower spectrum than I expected which pushes me right into the dilemma of whether to give away my Gmat prep material as yet :)

I know the score is considered below average at the schools I apsire for - top 10 - Stanford being my dream school !!

However, I want to know if the below factors will in any way,help offseting my comparably low Gmat score at the ultra elite ..

Well, I hate trumpeting about myself, but in need of genuine advice from a professional :)

Below are the additional facts which I believe might help to differentiate myself ..

- I hold a Guinness Record in the sports category (swimming) and my record has been untouched for the past 14 years .. n yes 3/4th of the page is ornated with my photograph :)

- Represented India in multiple international and two World series swimming competitions

- was honoured with the highest sports accolodae of the nation given by the President himself

- there is an entire chapter about me in the 6th and 9th grade official high school texts to serve as a motivating factor for youngters

- held summer camps where I taught swimming to a close to 300 kids ..my first tingling step in my vision to start a full fledged sports academy

So, given my long term career goals, is there a chance that the ultra elites will give me a pass with my Gmat ?

My other factors as I have already mentioned in the thread are pretty much there ..if not weak I guess ..
3.6 post grad gpa / under grad from one of the premiere instis in India
strong work ex / leadership outside of work ..

Oh ya
- Male / Indian / 25 :)

gradMBA,

Your unusual sports profile certainly will help you stand out at the ultra elites, but the GMAT score may be too much for them to overlook. Stanford and Kellogg might be ultra-elites most willing to overlook your score. If you were a Native American, African American, or Hispanic American your 660 would certainly be good enough, but you're not. Feel free to apply to the ultra-elites but realize the odds will remain fairly slim, though not nonexistent. You may want to see Accepted.com's advice for applicants with "low" GMAT scores.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Paul, thanks for your prompt and candid response .. !
If you were to choose 5-8 schools (all in the top 15) with my profile ..what will your choices be ?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
Hi Paul, thanks for your prompt and candid response .. !
If you were to choose 5-8 schools (all in the top 15) with my profile ..what will your choices be ?

gradmba,

Given your entrepreneurship goals and GMAT I think you could consider Indiana, USC, Michigan, UNC, Maryland, CMU, Cornell, and Darden.

Good luck,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks a lot Paul !
After much consideration, I am planning to give Gmat another shot to break into the 700s.
I hope that should propel my chances at the Ultra Elites.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
Thanks a lot Paul !
After much consideration, I am planning to give Gmat another shot to break into the 700s.
I hope that should propel my chances at the Ultra Elites.

You're welcome and good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V37
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hello Paul ! its been a good 3 months and hope you are doing good.

Well, took my G again and broke into the 700s - 710 to be precise (q50,v37) - could have done way much better in the verbal !

Just wanted your opinion on a couple of things -

* Will my new score really propel my chances at the ultra elites given my profile or do i need to take the Gmat again ?

* It will be great if you can give me a couple of schools each in these cadres -

- sure shot (hope there are some top 10s here :))
- competitive
- stretch
- dream

Eagerly awaiting your response and sincerely appreciate your help.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
grad_mba wrote:
Hello Paul ! its been a good 3 months and hope you are doing good.

Well, took my G again and broke into the 700s - 710 to be precise (q50,v37) - could have done way much better in the verbal !

Just wanted your opinion on a couple of things -

* Will my new score really propel my chances at the ultra elites given my profile or do i need to take the Gmat again ?

* It will be great if you can give me a couple of schools each in these cadres -

- sure shot (hope there are some top 10s here :))
- competitive
- stretch
- dream

Eagerly awaiting your response and sincerely appreciate your help.

grad_MBA,

Congratulations on your new score. It makes you competitive at some top 10-15 schools. Given your entrepreneurial and social impact goals, you could consider MIT Sloan, USC, Michigan, Haas, UNC, Virginia, and maybe Wharton (and for a dream school, Stanford) if you have leadership/impact in your professional work experience. Your best odds of admission would be at USC, Michigam, UNC, and Virginia, followed by MIT and Haas, with Wharton and Stanford as longer stretches.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]