It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 12:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2009, 09:13
Hello everyone, so I'm new over here but hoping to get some advice on things I might be able to do to strengthen my application. Here are my stats and some background:

GMAT: 720 (50Q, 38V) 6.0 AWA
GPA: 2.6 (very low, I know) from top 10 undergrad
MAJOR: Math

Work Experience: 3 years at Fortune 500 Transportation company. Manage a team of 20 employees. Manage $7 million budget. Have shown good upward mobility.

EC's: Varsity athlete in college. Part-time work in college. Resident Assistant in college.
Since college: member of alumni group for university that helps communicate with newly admitted students. Volunteer coach at local high school. Continue to compete in sports.

Career Goals: Return to current company. Transition from my operations role to a finance role.

My main concern is my GPA. I understand that it is very low and my goals are top 15-20 MBA programs. More specifically: Duke, Columbia, UNC, Kellogg, and Darden (very preliminary list). Any comments on my chances or advice on what I can do to better my application. Thanks in advance.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 May 2009, 09:47
While admission consultants should give you much more comprehensive evaluation of your profile, I would try to give you advice regarding your weak GPA.

You have more than enough time to build alternate transcript. I assume you are in US, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. If I were in US last year I would have done it for certain. Now I regret to some extent for not doing even online courses from UCLA Extension or something like that.

Alternate transcript is an excellent way to show adcoms that you are serious about b-school and that you are ready to overcome your weaknesses or some bad period in the past.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 14

MBA Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 566 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2009, 21:48
As pathfinder said, you have time to build up an alternate transcript.

Beyond that, it's a matter of doing the best job you can on the applications themselves (including the interviews). If you do that, you should be within hitting distance of the top programs (Col/Kellogg - stretch or long shot; Duke/Darden - in the mix or stretch; UNC - safety or in the mix).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Kudos [?]: 566 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 26 May 2009, 21:48