It is currently 17 Nov 2017, 14:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jun 2009, 20:19
Hello, can you please evaluate my profile:

I am currently shooting for the top 10 schools, including Harvard, UPenn, Berkeley, Columbia, Yale, and UCLA.
I would like to specialize in Management.

Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering GPA=3.26/4.0 from an ivy school.
Master's: Mechanical Engineering GPA=3.45/4.0 from the same school.
GMAT: test 1: Total 680 Q48 V34 AWA5.5
test 2: Total 740 Q50 V40 AWA4.5

Summer Internship: engineer for a FORTUNE 50 consumer products manufacturer, led a small project
Full Time: 2 years at enrollment, R&D engineer for an international oil major, led various tasks

Other related factors:
- Teaching Assistant for an engineering course (actually taught weekly 50-min sessions)
- on the committee of two professional networks of my company
- community volunteer (judge for city's high school science fair)

Here are some questions that may guide the evaluation:
1. My GPA is relatively low compared to average GPAs published by schools, I think I may be able to justify it by saying I also additional classes to get two minors. And my school has an extremely low GPA average (around 2.7-2.9 for engineering) But I am hoping this won't rule me out automatically. What do you think?
2. My # of years of full time work experience is also low, but I will say that I plan to switch industry so it's better if I switch early rather than stay a few more years.
3. I haven't led any "real" teams or projects, only led various engineering tasks... So what I am saying is, I haven't been in charge of any formal project teams, will this hurt my chances greatly?

4. regarding my GMAT score... on the second test I got good Q and V scores, but relatively bad AWA score compared to the first test. Should I be concerned about that? Will the admissions committee just take the 5.5 score from my first test and take the Q and V scores from my second test?
5. What schools should I be confident in applying to? do I have a good chance in getting into one of the top 10 schools?
6. How does my Master's degree in engineering affect my application to business school?

Thank you so much,

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 74

Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jun 2009, 08:46
timothy322 wrote:
Hello, can you please evaluate my profile:

I am currently shooting for the top 10 schools, including Harvard, UPenn, Berkeley, Columbia, Yale, and UCLA.
I would like to specialize in Management.

Undergrad: Mechanical Engineering GPA=3.26/4.0 from an ivy school.
Master's: Mechanical Engineering GPA=3.45/4.0 from the same school.
GMAT: test 1: Total 680 Q48 V34 AWA5.5
test 2: Total 740 Q50 V40 AWA4.5

Summer Internship: engineer for a FORTUNE 50 consumer products manufacturer, led a small project
Full Time: 2 years at enrollment, R&D engineer for an international oil major, led various tasks

Other related factors:
- Teaching Assistant for an engineering course (actually taught weekly 50-min sessions)
- on the committee of two professional networks of my company
- community volunteer (judge for city's high school science fair)

Here are some questions that may guide the evaluation:
1. My GPA is relatively low compared to average GPAs published by schools, I think I may be able to justify it by saying I also additional classes to get two minors. And my school has an extremely low GPA average (around 2.7-2.9 for engineering) But I am hoping this won't rule me out automatically. What do you think?
2. My # of years of full time work experience is also low, but I will say that I plan to switch industry so it's better if I switch early rather than stay a few more years.
3. I haven't led any "real" teams or projects, only led various engineering tasks... So what I am saying is, I haven't been in charge of any formal project teams, will this hurt my chances greatly?

4. regarding my GMAT score... on the second test I got good Q and V scores, but relatively bad AWA score compared to the first test. Should I be concerned about that? Will the admissions committee just take the 5.5 score from my first test and take the Q and V scores from my second test?
5. What schools should I be confident in applying to? do I have a good chance in getting into one of the top 10 schools?
6. How does my Master's degree in engineering affect my application to business school?

Thank you so much,

1. Schools are aware of the programs that have lower average GPAs and will view your GPA in that context. If you were highly ranked in your class or can demonstrate that you actually did well in some other way, then reveal that information also somewhere in the application. I am not saying you need to write a whole essay about it.
2. While your argument makes sense, for the schools the question will be can you show the maturity and the kind of fast-track growth that makes your experience competitive when compared to someone with more experience. Please see "MBA Admissions: Advice for Younger Applicants."
3. Have you led? That is the question. If you led informal teams it counts. If you led teams or groups or clubs in college it counts. The reality is more important than the formality. On the other hand, admissions is a competitive process. If your competition has had more impressive responsibility and leadership experience, you are at a disadvantage.
4. Don't worry about your raw AWA score. It the admissions committee has a question, they'll go read the essay.
5. You have a chance at Yaleand UCLA, but the other programs are stretch program. I don't see a lot of leadership or professional growth in what you wrote above. I see a strong GMAT, a so-so GPA, typical work experience for two years out of college and a little community service. I'm not sure that other than your GMAT you are highly competitive at the other programs.
6. It's a slight plus.

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Kudos [?]: 583 [0], given: 74

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2009, 20:14
Tim,

Would you mind if I ask how you bumped up your GMAT so significantly between your two attempts? I am writing for the first time shortly and would love to know what you learned the second time around so that I don't make the same mistake :)

Cheers

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2009, 09:00
yeah Tim...

Same question from me too.. I wrote it the first time and got 660.. any tips on how to improve my score..I will be writing it again in another 2-3 weeks.

Thanks!!

Re: Profile Evaluation   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2009, 09:00

Profile Evaluation

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap