Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:51 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Send PM
Re: profile evaluation...and need advice [#permalink]
Expert Reply
risin1phoenix wrote:
Hi Linda

My graduate GPA is 3.3/5

Sorry, another question, before I reply. What schools do you consider top MBA programs? Where do you want to go?

Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, I have already mentioned them- NYU Stern, UCLA, Yale, Haas, Cornell, LBS and maybe a few which have good placements in asset management/trading firms. I may consider Tepper, Tuck, etc, but for now haven't done much research on these schools
Send PM
Expert Reply
risin1phoenix wrote:
I want to apply for top B-schools for fall 2011. My profile:

B.E 2004..decent grades -> 2 yrs at a major Automobile firm ->Shifted to finance. 2 yrs at a proprietary trading firm -> Went for a Masters in Quantitative Finance. I wouldn't like to bring up the name of the school here. Though people know it, I had a horrible experience. 3rd grade faculty and no relevant jobs at all. My grades are really poor as I had no motivation at all after joining. Graduated in 2009 and joined another large prop trading firm at a decent pay and profit sharing. -> Now the firm is closing down its office in the country I'm employed. So in a month I'd be unemployed. ->???

My previous GMAt is 710(Maths-51, Verbal-36). I've reapplied for GMAT, and let's say I can manage a score of around 750. I'm having a hard time finding decent, relevant jobs and everywhere I go , ppl ask why I want to move from front-office to middle office/back-office. Given this situation, do I have realistic chances of making it to B-schools ranked between 5-15? I'm specifically interested in Stern, Haas, Duke, Cornell, Yale to name a few. I don't want to go to another school which doesn't have decent placement records and waste thousands of dollars again. Another thing I'd like to mention is I can get a good reco from a few profs, from my current job (spent less than a year) and from the Automobile firm (which is too far back). I won't ask the 1st prop trading firm for reco due to personal reasons.

Is it still possible to make it to a top B-school? My main reason for doing a MBA is a brand name and a good network(which I obviously won't mention in my applications). I think these are the only things that matter in finance.

Pls..need some insights

I think Haas is a stretch. Regarding the others, I am not sure how they are going to react the the GGPA and a fair amount of job switching. Obviously they know about the recession and can't hold you responsible if your company closes its doors, but b-schools will want to know why you have made the decisions you have made. Can you connect the dots for them?

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well, I guess more than the job switching (which, like you mentioned, I had no option other than knowing in advance things would be fine), my problem will be unemployment now and what kind of roles I'll take up now. I already have a student loan which I have paid only half till now. I'll have to move back to my home country, where front office jobs are rare in finance. So does that mean I'm just doomed as far as these schools are concerned?
Send PM
Expert Reply
risin1phoenix wrote:
Well, I guess more than the job switching (which, like you mentioned, I had no option other than knowing in advance things would be fine), my problem will be unemployment now and what kind of roles I'll take up now. I already have a student loan which I have paid only half till now. I'll have to move back to my home country, where front office jobs are rare in finance. So does that mean I'm just doomed as far as these schools are concerned?

For insight into applying while unemployed, please see "Laid Off." Obviously, getting another job will make an enormous difference, but you can't wave a magic wand and make one appear.

It doesn't mean you are "doomed." It does mean that given the limited information provided, specifically your GGPA, average GMAT (for these schools), and spotty employment, I cannot say with confidence that I think you will be accepted at the schools you list above.

I'm sorry I can't be more encouraging, but that's how I see it. If you can afford to apply and if the downside of not getting an MBA from one of these programs is so drastic, why don't you apply to as many programs as you can without compromising the quality of your applications. You can divide them between rounds 1 & 2. Hopefully one of your target schools will say yes.

Best,
Linda
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ok, thanks for your input.
GMAT Club Bot