Last visit was: 28 Apr 2024, 21:41 It is currently 28 Apr 2024, 21:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2771 [0]
Given Kudos: 1510
WE:Analyst (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation and recommendations for colleges to apply to [#permalink]
Admissionado wrote:
Shivamjulka:

Thanks for sharing.

The GMAT score is definitely going to be a problem, particularly for INSEAD and also ISB. Are you considering retaking the exam?

Your extracurricular activities are probably not a strength either. You note some interesting hobbies and achievements, but they don't seem to amount to major accomplishments to the point where it'll be a major feather in your cap. You will need a strong strategy around how to promote those interests in your overall application.

Your work experience is solid - that'll be an area you should emphasize.

Your short-term career goal needs some variety. Management consulting and investment banking are very, very common post-MBA positions. You need to think more creatively if you want to ultimately become a CXO.

We are happy to suggest other schools but could use some guidance around your interests. Where geographically do you want to be? What do you want to study? Anything else we should take into account?

Thanks for the reply Admissionado. Toanswer your questions,

Are you considering retaking the exam?
Yes, I am considering to retake the exam. But since I gave my exam on 20th July, my cooling period will remain till first week of August. Post which, I would probably retake the exam in the second week of August. That would leave me just a couple of weeks to prepare my applications and essays for applying in R1 of ISB. If my current GMAT score did give me a chance at R1 of ISB I was thinking of using it to prepare my applications and see the result rather than lose considerable amount of time.

Your extracurricular activities are probably not a strength either. You note some interesting hobbies and achievements, but they don't seem to amount to major accomplishments to the point where it'll be a major feather in your cap.
I know that is an issue, but unfortunately there is nothing that I can do about my extra curriculars at this point of time.

We are happy to suggest other schools but could use some guidance around your interests. Where geographically do you want to be? What do you want to study? Anything else we should take into account?
Between consulting and investment banking, I am more inclined towards the former. Geographically, I would want to work in North America, Europe or South East Asia post my studies. I would be looking for enrolling in a one year MBA program. Scholarship would be highly preferable, but I know my current score doesn't give a shot at the same.
Thanks
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation and recommendations for colleges to apply to [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Shivamjulka:

That makes sense regarding the GMAT. Good luck!

Correct, there's little to nothing you can do about extracurricular activities at this point in time. I appreciate you recognizing that point.

I would look at the following schools, at least in North America:

Canada: Alberta, Schlulich, Smith
US: Indiana (Kelley), UVA (Darden), Washington (Foster), Emory (Goizueta)

Scholarships are going to be very hard to determine. A higher GMAT score would be helpful for gaining admission and a potential financial package, but if scholarship money is important you are going to have to drop down in the rankings. It's up to you if you want to make that tradeoff between rank and finances.

Hope that helps,
Admissionado
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shivamjulka wrote:
Hello Experts!

Please evaluate my profile as per the below mentioned details:

GMAT Score- 680 ( Q48, V35 & IR3)
Nationality-Indian
Age-28
Graduation- B.Tech in Mechanical Engineering from an average college
X- 92.64%
XII-89.67%
Graduation-73.5%
Work Ex- Will be completing 5 years of Work Ex in August 22.
Employer- Second Largest Public Sector Bank in India
Work Ex details: Currently working as Manager post receiving promotion in April 2020 overseeing Recovery Actions in NPA Accounts with a team of 17 overseeing a total portfolio of approx Rs. 600 Cr. Previously worked in a branch with a team of 7 people providing banking services to a client base of approx 30,000 customers while handling a business of approx Rs. 110Cr.
Achievements and Extra Curriculars: Participated in various quizzes and debates at school level and was also a scholarship holder. In college, was a part of a team of 14 people that fabricated a Go-Cart to compete in a National Level Competition. Was also part of fest organizing committees and some other clubs too. Participated in marathons organized at city level. Volunteered as a member of an organization that conducts an Art & Cultural Heritage Festival annually in the city. Additionally, worked as a Presiding Officer overseeing Polling Operation for a booth of 2000 voters during the 2019 General Elections in the country.
Post MBA short term goal: Looking to enter into the domain of management consulting or investment banking.
Long Term Goal: To work as a CXO in a conglomerate.

Target Schools: ISB, NUS & INSEAD. Please suggest other schools for the given score range and keeping the profile in view.
Thanks in advance!

Hello Shivamjulka,

Your existing GMAT score is definitely going to be an impediment so it does make sense for you to retake the GMAT.

We understand that there isn't much you can do about the extra-curricular activities now so it just makes sense that you focus on portraying your strong professional experience in the best way possible - focus on key takeaways (in terms of skills), the growth, and achievements.

Frankly, we do not see a problem with the short-term goals but you definitely need to pick one over the other and put forth your long-term goals in a manner that they sync up with your short-term goals.

Hope this helps.

All the best!
GMAT Club Bot