GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Oct 2019, 13:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation and School Recommendations

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation and School Recommendations  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Mar 2019, 06:11
Hi all!

I am aiming to attend an MBA program in Europe January 2020 or Sept 2020 latest (as I fear submitting a late application for Sept 2019 programs might be useless as at seems most schools are already waitlisting applicants).

I would greatly appreciate feedback on my chances of admission / areas to improve / or suggestions of schools that might be a good fit.

Who am I: Canadian, Female, 28 years, living/working in East and West Africa the last 5 years
Bachelor: H. BA Business and Law 84% GPA
Law school: Was admitted and completed 1 year of a J.D. in Canada before realizing that law was not my path
Work Experience: I've spent the last 4 years growing a 10 person social enterprise start-up into a 300+ employee thriving company (target market: BoP populations). Now manage 5 direct reports on the team that I built and lead (Head of Marketing)
GMAT: Haven't taken - though I know from my experience in taking the LSAT that this will be a weak point
EC/Hobbies: I've fostered 3 street dogs from a local shelter (Kenya) over the last 2 years, enjoy mountain climbing (have summated Kilimanjario and mt. Kenya), currently enrolled in an intensive french course (level B1)
Target schools: ESADE, Oxford, IE, others??

My long-term goal is to enter the C-suite for a multi-national company based in Europe (with a possible link to Africa)

1) Would I be a good fit for my target schools? Are there others I should consider?
2) What is the minimum GMAT score I would need to apply with for a reasonable chance of admission?

Many many thanks in advance!
INSEAD School Moderator
D
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile Evaluation and School Recommendations  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Mar 2019, 03:48
sroblin

Hello from another lady who spent a year in law school and ran out screaming. I went to Tulane in New Orleans and enjoyed the city a little bit more than the school lol.

Are you sure about the test taking situation? I would love to see you take a mock exam for both GMAT and GRE. Your profile really supports a good application to INSEAD however they only accept the GMAT. And that is known to be a bit more difficult. Without the games section to contend with it might be a different situation from LSAT. Soyez-optimiste!

Your work experience is absolutely awesome and would position you well for schools that do this social entrepreneurship kind of thing well like Berkeley Yale and others. If your GMAT comes out decent, check into Wharton Lauder which is an international joint degree.

However it seems that you are more interested in European schools and I cannot blame you given what's going on here in the US. I'm wondering why you chose ESADE, Oxford? Both of those are September intake only, it's really important to know what your goals are so please provide that information. Also would be helpful to know what the recommendation situation would be; do you have 2 recommenders who could narrate powerful anecdotes about how you have demonstrated teamwork leadership and problem solving?

depending upon how quickly you can get the test taking situation handled January is kind of closing in here. Round 2 for INSEAD is April 20th it's also an extremely long application that requires several weeks of devoted effort if not months. HEC is still an option but I would recommend that you apply by the may deadline. I'm curious as to why you had not thought about French schools given that you're studying French right now.

IE Jan batch is probably within your grasp , very solid entrepreneurship school, but they've had a bit of a sticky situation they were not ranked because of some kind of kerfuffle a couple years ago and this year they've dropped in the rankings (formerly top 10; now like top 30 globally.) But they're still a solid school.

That said you should know that Prodigy is not backing them, at least for Indian students, I have heard; so you would need to rely on Spanish banks and they do provide funding. Prodigy is pretty big in terms of the lenders for international students, so keep that in mind. This might not interest you but Ivey is still early in the cycle, so that's another option if you're looking to start in January or April.

Obviously, you have a very socially motivated type job but it would be great to see some type of community leadership. Something a little bit more formal than the dog your rescue stuff. If you do go for R1 or R2 September batch I would recommend that you maybe get a formal role for a local dog rescue organization ASAP you don’t want to start a whole new thing but up your commitment to something you have already worked on. This will help you demonstrate leadership outside of work; I'm not saying this is a deal breaker but it would definitely help round things out, to show them you are leader in multiple settings.

Would help to know if you need an internship; if not, INSEAD Sept batch is possible or even January term for CBS in the near term. LBS is a flexible program that would also appreciate your international background/experience. Most European programs, IESE as well.

Let me know about your goals – what motivates you to do an MBA and if applicable what you had planned to state on your apps. That will help in thinking about schools for you.

sroblin wrote:
Hi all!

I am aiming to attend an MBA program in Europe January 2020 or Sept 2020 latest (as I fear submitting a late application for Sept 2019 programs might be useless as at seems most schools are already waitlisting applicants).

I would greatly appreciate feedback on my chances of admission / areas to improve / or suggestions of schools that might be a good fit.

Who am I: Canadian, Female, 28 years, living/working in East and West Africa the last 5 years
Bachelor: H. BA Business and Law 84% GPA
Law school: Was admitted and completed 1 year of a J.D. in Canada before realizing that law was not my path
Work Experience: I've spent the last 4 years growing a 10 person social enterprise start-up into a 300+ employee thriving company (target market: BoP populations). Now manage 5 direct reports on the team that I built and lead (Head of Marketing)
GMAT: Haven't taken - though I know from my experience in taking the LSAT that this will be a weak point
EC/Hobbies: I've fostered 3 street dogs from a local shelter (Kenya) over the last 2 years, enjoy mountain climbing (have summated Kilimanjario and mt. Kenya), currently enrolled in an intensive french course (level B1)
Target schools: ESADE, Oxford, IE, others??

My long-term goal is to enter the C-suite for a multi-national company based in Europe (with a possible link to Africa)

1) Would I be a good fit for my target schools? Are there others I should consider?
2) What is the minimum GMAT score I would need to apply with for a reasonable chance of admission?

Many many thanks in advance!

Re: Profile Evaluation and School Recommendations   [#permalink] 27 Mar 2019, 03:48

Profile Evaluation and School Recommendations

new topic post reply Update application status