GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 26 Sep 2018, 03:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation and School Suggestion

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Organizational Behavior
GRE 1: Q165 V160

GRE 2: Q165 V160
GPA: 2.9
Profile Evaluation and School Suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Apr 2018, 18:07
Hey, so I'm just looking for a little guidance on whether or not the schools I'm considering are reasonable for my profile.

I'll start with the barriers -- I graduated with an Honours degree with a 2.8 GPA in Canada. I had a terrible first year GPA of 1.52 (dealt with epilepsy diagnosis and wasted my elective courses on classes I needed to get apply for a major I didn't have a background in) and bounced back a little to maintain a 3.17 for my remaining three years and a 3.59 for my final year. I'm not sure if writing the optional essay would have any value, as I know there are stronger applicants who've overcome more difficult barriers. I wrote the GRE (163V/165Q) -- which I think converts around 710.

Following that, I attended a Graduate Certificate program in Human Resources Management and had a 3.57 GPA for the 14 classes and then later went on to earn my Human Resources designation in Canada. Although the work was considered above Undergraduate-level, I'm not sure how (or if) this program would be weighed in the overall admissions process (extraneous to U-GPA). I also have a Career Counselling designation in Canada.

Since then, I started out working for the Federal Government and received one promotion. I decided to relocate to the West Coast and have worked in Recruitment both in the private and non-profit sectors. Total years of work experience would be around 5. I've had next to no experience in a management capacity but have a fair amount of experience working successfully. in teams/partners in my roles.

My EC's are okay, I suppose:
- volunteered as an HR Assistant at Public Health organization throughout University
- volunteered as a data assistant on a public health research project
- coached youth basketball for a couple years and managed the content development for that organization
- have volunteered for a few other organizations -- although none within the last year.
- I'm also working on the filmmaking side of a documentary with a friend.
- have a small Career Counselling consulting business on the side for the past year.

The schools I'm considering at this moment are:
- Duke (extreme reach), USC, Texas, Washington, UC Davis, Miami, and Arizona State. If these schools are out of my reach, would you be able to recommend some alternatives?

Thanks so much.
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation and School Suggestion  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Apr 2018, 13:39
Hi raptors2018!

Thanks for reaching out. See below for my notes in line with your original post.

Good luck!
Kate

raptors2018 wrote:
Hey, so I'm just looking for a little guidance on whether or not the schools I'm considering are reasonable for my profile.

I'll start with the barriers -- I graduated with an Honours degree with a 2.8 GPA in Canada. I had a terrible first year GPA of 1.52 (dealt with epilepsy diagnosis and wasted my elective courses on classes I needed to get apply for a major I didn't have a background in) and bounced back a little to maintain a 3.17 for my remaining three years and a 3.59 for my final year. I'm not sure if writing the optional essay would have any value, as I know there are stronger applicants who've overcome more difficult barriers. Definitely write the optional essay! It is better to explain the context of your GPA then let the schools assume what happened. And you can keep it brief as far as the medical issues, and focus on the impressive upward trend you had in your GPA.

I wrote the GRE (163V/165Q) -- which I think converts around 710. Yep, this converts to 710. This is a great score for the schools you are looking at. Average GRE at Duke is 160 V / 159 Q.

Following that, I attended a Graduate Certificate program in Human Resources Management and had a 3.57 GPA for the 14 classes and then later went on to earn my Human Resources designation in Canada. Although the work was considered above Undergraduate-level, I'm not sure how (or if) this program would be weighed in the overall admissions process (extraneous to U-GPA). I also have a Career Counselling designation in Canada. This will help your academic profile, especially since it's good recent evidence. But it's not something every applicant will have, so they can't compare these things across the pool. But still, I think it will help you and show that you are serious about professional development.

Since then, I started out working for the Federal Government and received one promotion. I decided to relocate to the West Coast and have worked in Recruitment both in the private and non-profit sectors. Total years of work experience would be around 5. I've had next to no experience in a management capacity but have a fair amount of experience working successfully. in teams/partners in my roles. Great, the promotion will help, and 5 years is a good time to apply. Even if you haven't had formal management responsibility, try to show leadership wherever possible (e.g., leading a new process or initiative, introducing a new recruiting tool, etc.). Also, given your background in HR and recruiting (my pre-MBA background too!) make sure you demonstrate analytical/quant skills wherever possible.

My EC's are okay, I suppose: Most sound like they are in the past, but the two current ones are quite different and interesting!
- volunteered as an HR Assistant at Public Health organization throughout University
- volunteered as a data assistant on a public health research project
- coached youth basketball for a couple years and managed the content development for that organization
- have volunteered for a few other organizations -- although none within the last year.
- I'm also working on the filmmaking side of a documentary with a friend.
- have a small Career Counselling consulting business on the side for the past year.

The schools I'm considering at this moment are:
- Duke (extreme reach), USC, Texas, Washington, UC Davis, Miami, and Arizona State. If these schools are out of my reach, would you be able to recommend some alternatives?

I agree that even though your GRE is above average for Duke, it will still be a reach given the GPA issue and how competitive the school is. But give it a shot, apply early decision if you can, and visit / sign up for an on campus interview when they open up! I think the other schools are list seem reasonable so I don't think you need to add more.

Keep us posted if you have any more questions!

Thanks so much.

Kate Richardson
mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth Alum
http://www.mbamission.com
Read our school insider's guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders

Profile Evaluation and School Suggestion

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderator: mbaMissionKate

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap