It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 11:08

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation and suggestion reqd

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 14

WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation and suggestion reqd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2016, 02:00
Hi all,

I gave my gmat today, scoring 690.
V34
Q49
IR 5

Should I take gmat again, I am aiming to apply for ISB in round 2, so i have a month to prepare again.

Post MBA I want to work as Operations Consultant, and will opt for MBA in operations domain.

What are some other b-shools with good reputation of MBA in Operations Domain.

10th - 81 %
12th - 77 %

B.Tech - 85.4 % in Production and Industrial Engineering.
From National Institute of Technology, Jamshedpur (NIT's are considered among prestigious institutes in India)

Work experience: 3 years 6 months
Manager Operations in Manufacturing Plant.
• coordinating and commissioning of two RCL (Recoiling and Inspection Lines) in collaboration with FAGOR spain, L&T, NSSMC and TATA Steel.
• Trained under Japanese operations experts for line operations; and then trained a manpower of 4 officers and 31 technicians for Operations of RCL lines to produce high quality final products
• Independently studied plant technology and authored 71 Standard Operating Procedure and 8 Technical Standard documents
• Responsible for various Kaizen (continuous improvements) such as redesigning the path of sample carts in order to reduce cycle time
• Went to Spain to assist FAGOR with the designing of Level-2 (automatic manufacturing execution system) to improve process automation
• Planned and successfully executed the Performance Guarantee Tests for RCL lines
• Responsible for preparation of PFMEA, SPC and Control Plan and other documents for RCL as per requirement of ISO TS 16949
• Responsible for shop floor safety and was commended for the same by my Managing Director
• Designing various spares in CATIA-V5 as per specification and identified suitable vendors to manufacture them
• Developed a software using VB.NET and SQL for easy and efficient daily management – this was publicly appreciated by my general manager

Awards:
• First prize in college tech-fest for the innovative idea of using TEG module in automobile exhaust
• Second prize in college tech-fest for designing a four cylinder Internal Combustion Engine
• First prize in Rubik’s cube solving contest organized by the Computer Society of India
• Third prize in case-study challenge in the college tech-fest

No Extracurricular
(which is the point where I think I lack)

Also I have no shinning significant achievement to show off.

Beside ISB what are other schools I can consider, with the given profile

Sent from my ASUS_Z010D using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Expert Post
Vantage Point Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Profile evaluation and suggestion reqd [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Dec 2016, 10:06
Hi there,

Looks like you have great experience! Unfortunately we do not advise on ISB, so I can't be of much help there. We work with US and European schools, and what I'd say for you there is that you will be competing fiercely against other strong Indian candidates. That said, if you want to apply to the top schools in the US and Europe, I'd recommend the following:
- retake the gmat (Indian gmat scores tend to be much higher overall)
- consider what personal or other qualities might differentiate you. The candidates I see become successful from India are often able to emphasize an extracurricular or interest that is unique and different to help separate you from the many other candidates from your region. Since you don't have extracurriculars, is there a particular interest or passion you can focus on?
- emphasize the leadership stories I'm assuming you have from working in manufacturing. I'm assuming that you've coordinated projects or overseen teams? Management experience will help differentiate you as well.

Best of luck!

Kindly,
Meredith

Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting
http://www.vantagepointadmissions.com
MBA Admissions Consulting: Reimagined
Contact us for a Free Consultation!

Manager
Manager
B

WE: Operations (Manufacturing)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 06 Dec 2016, 08:51
VantagePointMeredith wrote:
Hi there,

Looks like you have great experience! Unfortunately we do not advise on ISB, so I can't be of much help there. We work with US and European schools, and what I'd say for you there is that you will be competing fiercely against other strong Indian candidates. That said, if you want to apply to the top schools in the US and Europe, I'd recommend the following:
- retake the gmat (Indian gmat scores tend to be much higher overall)
- consider what personal or other qualities might differentiate you. The candidates I see become successful from India are often able to emphasize an extracurricular or interest that is unique and different to help separate you from the many other candidates from your region. Since you don't have extracurriculars, is there a particular interest or passion you can focus on?
- emphasize the leadership stories I'm assuming you have from working in manufacturing. I'm assuming that you've coordinated projects or overseen teams? Management experience will help differentiate you as well.

Best of luck!

Kindly,
Meredith

The attempt I will be taking in Dec will be my fourth attempt :(

1. Cancelled
2. 620
3. 690
4. on 19th Dec

Does that makes my application weaker ?

Expert Post
B

Show Tags

New post 08 Dec 2016, 19:50
Hi there,

I'm sorry the GMAT has been such a pain - that test takes so much effort and many people just aren't great with the format. That said, have you tried the GRE? Many more top schools are accepting it these days. Sometimes people who don't do as well on the GMAT do better on the GRE. That said, it's ok to take it many times, but you really do want a higher score to be competitive within your demographic for the top 15 US schools. Hang in there....I've worked with many people who take the test multiple times and finally shoot up to that 720+ dream score :)

Kindly,
Meredith

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 05:58
Hello Team,
I am planning on applying to study MBA. Please evaluate my profile based on the following:
• Nationality – Indian
• Age- 27
• Education- Bachelor’s in Commerce (Accounting and Computers) - 3 Years Course, Percentile- 72%: While in School, I was a School Prefect. I did my post-graduation diploma (PGDM) – Specialization in General Insurance – 65%.
• Participated in various dance competition and skits.
• Internship- Worked as an Intern in one of the leading insurance company as part of my post-graduation program. Worked with operation team and learnt policy issuance procedures
• Also visited TPA with sales team and learnt the procedures.
• Profession- Through campus placement, I got placed in one of the leading insurance company in India in 2010 and has been working since then. I worked in multiple departments – Sales, Underwriting, operation and claims departments.
• In 2012, through IJP, I got placed in underwriting and handled various regions of North India
• Manage the Approval of quotes referred for rates, deviations beyond sales authority.
• Training of branch sales team of 10-15 people on various products.
• Visiting locations for improvement in both Bottom-line and Top line . Providing guidance to team member’s particularly new location with participation of Branch Heads.
• Portfolio analysis and reporting to seniors suggesting current portfolio movement and corrective actions. Analyzing renewals with their claim history and providing rates, excess and corrective actions accordingly to sales team. Analyzed and suggested for improvement required for more efficiency and effectiveness.
• Prepared reports like TAT reports, MIS on large accounts, Post loss endorsements,
• Endorsements in policies- material and non material change in policy document of retail or corporate customers.
• PROFESSIONAL ACHIEVEMENTS- Within a year of joining underwriting department I have been granted underwriting authority which was later enhanced to a good level. I presently hold underwriting authority for products Fire, Marine, Engineering policies. Awarded SBIG Value based Annual Award under Transparency Category in 2015. Awarded ‘Best Performer’ in Underwriting in Dec-15. An appreciation certificate received from corporate office sales team for good performance and for achieving target in 2011.
• Professional Trainings:
1. Marine Underwriting.
2. Claims Handling under Marine
3. Fraudulent claims
4. Engineering policies

• GMAT- my initial score was not good. I am planning to take re- exam by 1st week of jan.
• Currently figuring out which B- schools to apply for 2017 batch.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Affiliations: Vantage Point MBA Admissions Consulting

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2016, 12:10
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your profile! The consistency and focus on your work experience is nice to see. Insurance underwriting is not a profile I see often in MBA applicants, which could help set your apart in a highly competitive demographic. With that said, as you think about how to present your work experience, I would focus on leadership experience and impact. What key achievements have you made that have truly had an impact on your organization and business? It’s not clear if you’ve been promoted but that’s something the adcom will be looking for, particularly since you’ve been at the same company for 5+ years. If you haven’t been promoted, showing a track record of increased responsibility and scope of work will be key. Since your work has been highly technical, it will also be important to distill your experience into a language that the adcom will understand.

Which schools you ultimately decide to apply to will really depend on your career goals post-MBA and how you perform on the GMAT. As a rule of thumb, if you’re aiming for the top 25 programs in the US and Europe, you’ll want to score >720 to maximize your chances. Considering factors like class size and location can also help you determine your fit for various programs.

Best of luck to you! If you’d like to regroup after you take your GMAT, I’m happy to chat.

Kindly,
Melody

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation and suggestion reqd   [#permalink] 09 Dec 2016, 12:10

Profile evaluation and suggestion reqd

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap