GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 00:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Prepare a Concrete Application Plan!

December 16, 2018

December 16, 2018

10:00 PM PST

11:00 PM PST

30-minutes personal consultation for application planning.
  • MBA Admissions Consulting: Five-Day Special for Hourly Services

December 17, 2018

December 17, 2018

09:00 PM PST

10:00 PM PST

There’s still time to enhance your resume, essays, and applications! Avanti Prep is offering Hourly Services for a flat rate of $175 per hour (no minimum) – a significantly below-market offer for one of the most well-regarded services available.

Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA.

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V50
GPA: 3.3
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 18:54
Longtime lurker, but now that I've taken the GMAT and am actually prepping for applications, thought I'd start putting this out there. I appreciate your thoughts and honest feedback.

Background

Work experience:

4 years at a large manufacturing company supporting various engineering functions. 1 promotion with a lot of high visibility projects that I've been able to run or support (capacity improvements, health and safety initiatives - projects over $1MM). I recently moved into more of an automation engineering function and have really loved the 'coding' aspect (more on this later). Helped develop a reverse mentoring program at work to help educate men about struggles women face in the workplace. Recently won a national award (nominated by my company) for women in tech.

Extra-curriculars:

UG - Student body president, Sorority president, Honor Society president, Academic Tutor (won Employee of the Year), Created and ran a Student Speaker series my senior year attended by over 500 people.
Post-Grad - President of women engineering group at company, volunteer twice a month with local high school students teaching them about engineering, volunteer monthly with local Society of Women Engineers section with younger females encouraging them to pursue engineering, volunteer twice a month with a food pantry.

Race/nationality:

Asian American

Female

Stats

GMAT Score:

780 - (couldn't believe it - had been scoring consistently 750s in practice tests)

Undergrad GPA:

3.3 Chemical Eng (more on this later)

Undergrad Info:

Small engineering school (nationally recognized)

MBA Info

Goal of MBA:

I've enjoyed working in operations/manufacturing, but I want to understand a larger scope of business besides running a plant. I've also really enjoyed learning more about coding in my job and have been taking programming classes on the side - I'd want to move into either an operational or functional leader role in a tech company while continuing to develop those skills.

Target schools:

Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Sloan, Darden, Johnson

Questions:

I had to retake a class in undergrad - how do I address this in my application?

I am really invested and motivated by promoting gender equality in the workplace, particularly in tech and engineering - how can I best display this in my application and (hopefully?) interviews without coming off insincere?
Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 May 2018, 21:47
EnginerdMBA wrote:
Longtime lurker, but now that I've taken the GMAT and am actually prepping for applications, thought I'd start putting this out there. I appreciate your thoughts and honest feedback.

Background

Work experience:

4 years at a large manufacturing company supporting various engineering functions. 1 promotion with a lot of high visibility projects that I've been able to run or support (capacity improvements, health and safety initiatives - projects over $1MM). I recently moved into more of an automation engineering function and have really loved the 'coding' aspect (more on this later). Helped develop a reverse mentoring program at work to help educate men about struggles women face in the workplace. Recently won a national award (nominated by my company) for women in tech.

Extra-curriculars:

UG - Student body president, Sorority president, Honor Society president, Academic Tutor (won Employee of the Year), Created and ran a Student Speaker series my senior year attended by over 500 people.
Post-Grad - President of women engineering group at company, volunteer twice a month with local high school students teaching them about engineering, volunteer monthly with local Society of Women Engineers section with younger females encouraging them to pursue engineering, volunteer twice a month with a food pantry.

Race/nationality:

Asian American

Female

Stats

GMAT Score:

780 - (couldn't believe it - had been scoring consistently 750s in practice tests)

Undergrad GPA:

Undergrad Info:

MBA Info

Goal of MBA:

I've enjoyed working in operations/manufacturing, but I want to understand a larger scope of business besides running a plant. I've also really enjoyed learning more about coding in my job and have been taking programming classes on the side - I'd want to move into either an operational or functional leader role in a tech company while continuing to develop those skills.

Target schools:

Questions:

I am really invested and motivated by promoting gender equality in the workplace, particularly in tech and engineering - how can I best display this in my application and (hopefully?) interviews without coming off insincere?

EnginerdMBA,
1) Heartiest Congratulations on your GMAT score. Great job.
2) Your overall professional track has also a great potential for a rich story. With good applications, except for Stanford, your targets are well within reach. Stanford may be too, but will more details will help.
3) To answer your questions,
a) Aided by your excellent GMAT score, you can be forthright about your retaking a class. The Ad Com is human as well, and understands that **** happens. If you have a demonstrable capacity however, to win over such, and come out victorious, you have the potential to make them your champions.
b) Most of your drive towards "promoting gender equality in the workplace" will come through instances in your life, small ones which will together help you weave a consistent image of your passion and firm belief. Going through your detailed profile, I have a feeling it is not going to be difficult.

Feel free to connect for more.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

MBA Admissions Consultant
G
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jun 2018, 01:22
EnginerdMBA wrote:

Background

Work experience:

Extra-curriculars:

Race/nationality:

Asian American

Female

Stats

GMAT Score:

Undergrad GPA:

Undergrad Info:

MBA Info

Goal of MBA:

Target schools:

Questions:

First of all, your profile is really impressive, so I see no school as being out of reach for you.

As for retaking that class, I see it as a minor issue in this case, as the rest of your profile is so great so just be honest. Was there any particular reason this happened? If so, addressing that reason, straight and to the point, without dwelling on it or making excuses would be the way to go.

As for your second question, make sure you read up on the women’s clubs and associations at the schools you are considering, as they might be of interest to you first of all, but second of all, it shows that you are interested in continuing this path in the future, too, and it is not something you have been dealing with up until admission to a school only.

Here are some links to illustrate what I mean and to get you started:
https://www.hbs.edu/mba/blog/post/meet-the-hbs-womens-association
https://www.gsb.stanford.edu/alumni/communities/womens-programs
https://kellogg.campusgroups.com/wba/who-we-are/

Hope that helps and the best of luck to you!

https://ARINGO.com/ – MBA Admissions Consulting

Specializing in candidates with GMATs under 720 or low GPAs

Try our free Admissions Chances Calculator - https://aringo.com/mba-admission-chances-calculator/

All statistics verified by Ernst & Young - https://aringo.com/aringo-mba-admission-statistics/

Manager
Manager
B
Affiliations: Google, Facebook
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA.  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jul 2018, 14:55
I think you have a great background and based on product managers I have worked with at Google and Facebook, I think you would be a great candidate for that role as well, especially if you like coding. The other role you might consider is Technical Program Manager as well - fairly common post-MBA position where business acumen and coding ability are both valued.

I bring up these two roles in particular because your post-MBA career goals should ideally drive your target school selection. You mentioned "Harvard, Stanford, Kellogg, Sloan, Darden, Johnson" as the schools you are interested in, but have you also considered Haas? The school places over 1/3 of the class into tech and has one of the highest tech median starting salaries as well. Furthermore, Google, Facebook, Amazon, and a host of startups all recruit heavily from there.

Regarding your questions:
1) A simple optional essay explaining your GPA (if your GPA is in the bottom 10th percentile for a given MBA program i.e. Stanford) and the fact that you had to re-take a class will suffice. How you approach the optional essay will be key though.

2) Regarding gender equality in the workplace (particularly tech / engineering), actions (even future intended actions) will carry the most weight. I think the two examples you listed are fantastic demonstrations of you commitment and you can also discuss additional activities / initiatives you can engage in during business school (i.e. helping to organize the Women in Tech conference: https://www.womenintechnology.org/). Haas in particular has a really active Women in Leadership club and annual conference (https://www.wilconference.org/).

Feel free to PM if I can help with anything else :-)

EnginerdMBA wrote:

Background

Work experience:

Extra-curriculars:

Race/nationality:

Asian American

Female

Stats

GMAT Score:

Undergrad GPA:

Undergrad Info:

MBA Info

Goal of MBA:

Target schools:

Questions:

Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
GPA: 3.94

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 11:03
Would echo the comments already posted. In response to your specific questions:

A number of ways to approach this, but candidly displaying an understanding of why it happened, what you learned/how you addressed it, and the positive impact it's had is the right way. Whether you lost focus and that now drives you to never do the same, or personal issues interfered and you got in over your head, or any other outcomes, weaving this in as part of your personal arc displays self-awareness and commitment to improvement. Highly consider in your essays (including in the optional, if you can't work into the main).

It won't come off insincere if you believe it. Show, don't tell in your essays through (a) related personal narratives and (b) truthful, precise color on your plans around gender equality.

Mission-driven rings true with many adcoms - it's critical to really show your investment. Essays highlighting where you've seen lack of gender equality and how that impacted you, or highlighting the things you've already done that support this passion will be a good start. Painting a crystal clear picture of how you plan to deploy your motivation post-grad in promoting gender equality is equally important - what do you actually want to do in relation to this?

Colin Keeler
BeenThere Technologies

http://www.beenthere.biz
Twitter: @BeenThereBiz
Instagram: beentheretech

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA. &nbs [#permalink] 12 Jul 2018, 11:03

Profile Evaluation: Engineer w/ experience, higher GMAT but lower GPA.

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap