It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 09:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 03:46
I gave my GMAT recently and scored a 640. Q46, V33.
Computer Engg from Univ of Pune, Distinction (~66%)
10th : 86% , 12th 70%

My other details are: 4.5 years of Work Experience as an Entrepreneur. Have co-founded two startups(one in Ed-tech and other in Fashion-Tech) and raised seed capitals and admits from top incubators and accelerators. Both companies are performing well and one is nearing an Exit.
My areas of work at both companies have been in strategy, sales, business development, and partnerships. Tangible results in terms of sales figures and partnership are available to present to adcoms.

Organized and led national scale events in college, have been a Microsoft Student Partner, have a Research paper published alongwith other awards and certifications.

I plan to study in Singapore and am targeting NUS, Nanyang and SMU specifically.Post MBA, I plan to work with a startup in FinTech sector in Singapore for a year after which I would return to India to steer my own company/or start something new in different vertical.

I wanted to know with my GMAT score, will I be able to make the cut? Retaking the GMAT isnt the option due to rigorous work schedules.
Additionally, Nanyang Second Round is ongoing, is it true that closer to deadlines makes your chances of getting interview calls slim ?

Thanks

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
User avatar
S
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 145

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 60

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 05:51
1
This post received
KUDOS
vaibhav_kanth wrote:
I gave my GMAT recently and scored a 640. Q46, V33.
Computer Engg from Univ of Pune, Distinction (~66%)
10th : 86% , 12th 70%

My other details are: 4.5 years of Work Experience as an Entrepreneur. Have co-founded two startups(one in Ed-tech and other in Fashion-Tech) and raised seed capitals and admits from top incubators and accelerators. Both companies are performing well and one is nearing an Exit.
My areas of work at both companies have been in strategy, sales, business development, and partnerships. Tangible results in terms of sales figures and partnership are available to present to adcoms.

Organized and led national scale events in college, have been a Microsoft Student Partner, have a Research paper published alongwith other awards and certifications.

I plan to study in Singapore and am targeting NUS, Nanyang and SMU specifically.Post MBA, I plan to work with a startup in FinTech sector in Singapore for a year after which I would return to India to steer my own company/or start something new in different vertical.

I wanted to know with my GMAT score, will I be able to make the cut? Retaking the GMAT isnt the option due to rigorous work schedules.
Additionally, Nanyang Second Round is ongoing, is it true that closer to deadlines makes your chances of getting interview calls slim ?

Thanks


vaibhav_kanth,
I hope you are not serious. Your profile already puts you at a disadvantage. Plus, you have a low gmat, haven't even thought about your application yet, and you are asking if you can make the cut?
Sorry, but I think you need to think it through.
_________________

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)

Interviewing soon? Connect for Unlimited Mock Interviews at your convenience, and preparation with Interview Questions.

Applying for Fall 2019? PM me your resume for a FREE detailed profile evaluation.


Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 60

Intern
Intern
avatar
B
Joined: 14 Mar 2017
Posts: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

CAT Tests
Re: Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 09:33
Thanks for the revert,
Could you elaborate why the "profile is at disadvantage" ? is it the Startup Experience or the scores in School/ College or the general "Indian-Engineer-Male" background which makes the profile at disadvantage? Colleges like Nanyang and SMU have an average GMAT range of 650 and with good business experience, I thought my profile would stand out compared to the general Indian-IT Male profile.

Your words of advice would be very handy. Will really appreciate if you could suggest next course of actions. Retaking the GMAT in the short duration of 15 days might not build my score too high and post that I will be late for upcoming deadlines.

TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
vaibhav_kanth wrote:
I gave my GMAT recently and scored a 640. Q46, V33.
Computer Engg from Univ of Pune, Distinction (~66%)
10th : 86% , 12th 70%

My other details are: 4.5 years of Work Experience as an Entrepreneur. Have co-founded two startups(one in Ed-tech and other in Fashion-Tech) and raised seed capitals and admits from top incubators and accelerators. Both companies are performing well and one is nearing an Exit.
My areas of work at both companies have been in strategy, sales, business development, and partnerships. Tangible results in terms of sales figures and partnership are available to present to adcoms.

Organized and led national scale events in college, have been a Microsoft Student Partner, have a Research paper published alongwith other awards and certifications.

I plan to study in Singapore and am targeting NUS, Nanyang and SMU specifically.Post MBA, I plan to work with a startup in FinTech sector in Singapore for a year after which I would return to India to steer my own company/or start something new in different vertical.

I wanted to know with my GMAT score, will I be able to make the cut? Retaking the GMAT isnt the option due to rigorous work schedules.
Additionally, Nanyang Second Round is ongoing, is it true that closer to deadlines makes your chances of getting interview calls slim ?

Thanks


vaibhav_kanth,
I hope you are not serious. Your profile already puts you at a disadvantage. Plus, you have a low gmat, haven't even thought about your application yet, and you are asking if you can make the cut?
Sorry, but I think you need to think it through.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: The MBA Exchange
Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Posts: 33

Kudos [?]: 15 [2], given: 0

INSEAD: MBA
Re: Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 18:24
2
This post received
KUDOS
Dear vaibhav_kanth,

I think you have good chances. Your GMAT is not that far off from the average for those schools, and your experience as entrepreneur might give you an edge compared to other Indian applicants with IT backgrounds.

As for your other question... it depends on the schools, but in general, applying close to the deadline does not decrease your chances of getting an interview invitation.

I hope this helps.

Good luck!
_________________

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA
HR Director
Independent Consultant
MBA Admissions & Career Coach

+52 1 55 2702 0059
alex@ruizlee.es | alex.lee@insead.edu
http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee
http://www.ruizlee.es

Please, email me your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Kudos [?]: 15 [2], given: 0

1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant
User avatar
S
Status: Application Consultant
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Joined: 13 Jul 2016
Posts: 145

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 60

Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)
Re: Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Dec 2017, 20:02
1
This post received
KUDOS
vaibhav_kanth wrote:
Thanks for the revert,
Could you elaborate why the "profile is at disadvantage" ? is it the Startup Experience or the scores in School/ College or the general "Indian-Engineer-Male" background which makes the profile at disadvantage? Colleges like Nanyang and SMU have an average GMAT range of 650 and with good business experience, I thought my profile would stand out compared to the general Indian-IT Male profile.

Your words of advice would be very handy. Will really appreciate if you could suggest next course of actions. Retaking the GMAT in the short duration of 15 days might not build my score too high and post that I will be late for upcoming deadlines.

TheIvyLeagueEdge wrote:
vaibhav_kanth wrote:
I gave my GMAT recently and scored a 640. Q46, V33.
Computer Engg from Univ of Pune, Distinction (~66%)
10th : 86% , 12th 70%

My other details are: 4.5 years of Work Experience as an Entrepreneur. Have co-founded two startups(one in Ed-tech and other in Fashion-Tech) and raised seed capitals and admits from top incubators and accelerators. Both companies are performing well and one is nearing an Exit.
My areas of work at both companies have been in strategy, sales, business development, and partnerships. Tangible results in terms of sales figures and partnership are available to present to adcoms.

Organized and led national scale events in college, have been a Microsoft Student Partner, have a Research paper published alongwith other awards and certifications.

I plan to study in Singapore and am targeting NUS, Nanyang and SMU specifically.Post MBA, I plan to work with a startup in FinTech sector in Singapore for a year after which I would return to India to steer my own company/or start something new in different vertical.

I wanted to know with my GMAT score, will I be able to make the cut? Retaking the GMAT isnt the option due to rigorous work schedules.
Additionally, Nanyang Second Round is ongoing, is it true that closer to deadlines makes your chances of getting interview calls slim ?

Thanks


vaibhav_kanth,
I hope you are not serious. Your profile already puts you at a disadvantage. Plus, you have a low gmat, haven't even thought about your application yet, and you are asking if you can make the cut?
Sorry, but I think you need to think it through.



1) Could you elaborate why the "profile is at disadvantage"
Rightly said, The "Indian-Engineer-Male" is the most over-represented species in the good MBA schools

2) "Colleges like Nanyang and SMU have an average GMAT range of 650 and with good business experience, I thought my profile would stand out compared to the general Indian-IT Male profile."
Spot-on; exactly right. However, your score is just one part of the profile. Some of these below will take time:
a) A resume which does justice to all your achievements.
b) Strong stories, which are both articulate and appealing.
c) LORs which will strengthen your profile further.
d) Articulating your goals (and then aligning them with MBA)
e) Networking with the schools, and making your interest stand out takes time.

People have done all these in 20 days of rapidfire, hectic 10 hour workdays, with zero rest. That said, the proportion of success is way higher if you plan and execute.
Happy to discuss this further. Feel free to call.
_________________

If you found my post helpful, kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :-)

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)

Interviewing soon? Connect for Unlimited Mock Interviews at your convenience, and preparation with Interview Questions.

Applying for Fall 2019? PM me your resume for a FREE detailed profile evaluation.


Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/
Top20.GradSchools(at)gmail(dot)com +91-987-356-3953

Coaching success for admissions and scholarships to the World's best - MBA and MS
We take PERSONAL interest in your success.

Kudos [?]: 29 [1], given: 60

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
S
Status: MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: 99colleges.com
Joined: 02 Jul 2015
Posts: 327

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton
Re: Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Dec 2017, 19:52
Hi Vaibhav,

Your GMAT score is close to the median, but ideally you would want to have 30-40 points above the median, because Indian applicants tend to have high scores. Some of the Singapore programs such as NUS have really low acceptance rates, making them highly competitive despite a 660-odd median score.

Having said that, your entrepreneurial experience can help you differentiate from other Indian applicants and provide a shot. You need to put in a strong application, with one of the focus – unobtrusively though - being how your professional experience will bring unique elements to the class (diversity in experience is a strength in your case).
_________________

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 4

Re: Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2017, 19:52
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Profile Evaluation : Entrepreneur with GMAT 640 for NUS and Nanyang

  new topic post reply Update application status  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.