It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 05:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Female, GMAT 640 - requesting advice on Schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Profile Evaluation - Female, GMAT 640 - requesting advice on Schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Oct 2017, 18:51
Hello,

I am currently looking for advice on next steps and schools to apply to with a GMAT score of 640.

A little background regarding my GMAT experience: I have just taken my GMAT for the second time, score: 640 (Q:42/V:35). I have spent a lot of time studying for the GMAT. I took an in person course and spent at least 4 hours a day studying. My first attempt I scored a 630. That score was to be expected as my practice scores (from the course, various free online tests and the GMAT tests that are provided I was scoring around 650, 660).

However, I was especially disappointed with my second attempt as I felt comfortable with the material, was increasing my speed (a huge barrier I was experiencing previously), and had scored a 690, 700, 720, and 750 on my practice tests before the actual GMAT. Quant was my weaker section, but I was scoring in the 80-90th percentile in verbal. Obviously this was not the case on the actual GMAT as my verbal score was the lowest its ever been and my Quant was lower than usual.

I am now in the position that many of us are when we are shooting for 700+ and hit a barrier; I am now considering next steps. I have contemplated taking the GMAT again, but I was very prepared in my second attempt, and still could not really increase my score. Therefore, the GMAT may still be on the table, but I am keeping my options open (GRE may also be an option).

Among my thoughts for next steps, I thought I would put my profile on here to garner advice on what schools I should consider applying to should I apply with my current score.

I am a 25 year old female currently working for a health economist at the World Bank. I have 3.5 years of work experience. I graduated from a State school with a BS in Economics, and a BA in Political Science (GPA: 3.42). I was very active in college and am active in my community. Prior to working at the World Bank I worked for a small NGO on rights for persons with disabilities.

I would love to go to a school that allows me not just to sell merchandise or to consult, but one that is a hub for those who want to make a difference in the world (as cheesy as that sounds). I think it is important to be literate in business practices and am very interested in public private partnerships .

All advice is appreciated, but school recommendations would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Economist GMAT Tutor Discount CodesJamboree Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Female, GMAT 640 - requesting advice on Schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Oct 2017, 16:03
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have a nice profile and given b-schools still skew male, as a female this should also help a bit. Your GMAT obviously is a problem and will probably make the top schools a real challenge. You have the type of focused profile and MBA goals that lend themselves well to admissions. I would take a look at Georgetown and Emory as good schools that fits your career needs. I also think it may not hurt to take a shot at some reach schools like UVA and Yale as well. They may look past your low scores for the alignment of your profile

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Director
Director
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 76

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Profile Evaluation - Female, GMAT 640 - requesting advice on Schools [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Oct 2017, 05:30
It has been my experience that if you 1.) develop a really damn good application 2.) show how you could offer diversity/unique contribution class you can take the GRE for schools that do not publish averages (schools not on this page) https://poetsandquants.com/2017/05/10/a ... ools/3/and experience success.

I actually had a client with the GRE equivalent of 620 get into Wharton with scholarship this past season, low work experience but a great profile otherwise, board leadership experience. great IMPACT. However he did do very well on the quant section - you have to assure them you wont flunk. If your quant is low do 3) http://MBAMATH.COM

And remember - it's not about managing weaknesses as it is showing your brand and strengths. They select those who are exceptional not good enough in areas xyz.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 198 [0], given: 76

Re: Profile Evaluation - Female, GMAT 640 - requesting advice on Schools   [#permalink] 16 Oct 2017, 05:30

Profile Evaluation - Female, GMAT 640 - requesting advice on Schools

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap