It is currently 20 Aug 2017, 14:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation (for Harvard MBA)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation (for Harvard MBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Apr 2017, 12:17
Hi everyone, my first post so bear with me. I'm planning on applying to the Harvard MBA admissions cycle in September 2017. I know its a bit early, but i want some time to organise myself especially because my job is so busy etc. etc.

so here is my profile:

Country: Australian citizen (although i am of Korean descent)

Education: BSc Mathematics and Economics at London School of Economics (UK) graduated with First Class Honours (ranked in top 10% of my year group).
MPhil in Economics at Cambridge University (ranked quite average in cohort).

Work Experience: Spent my last 3 years working in the Sales and Trading division of a mid tier American bulge bracket in London. Before that, internships in Big Four consulting, a major British bank and a small accounting firm (all in Korea).

GMAT: 730. Decent quant score, less good in verbal.

Extracurriculars:: President of a medium sized society during undergrad. Decent amount of community service as well as volunteer work with my company as well as in my personal life. Advisor to a tech startup in my spare time

Goals: To move into a hedge fund and one day start my own hedge fund/fintech company.

Assuming i get decent recommendations, essays etc. What would you say my chances are?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile Evaluation (for Harvard MBA) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Apr 2017, 09:54
aphalleon wrote:
Hi everyone, my first post so bear with me. I'm planning on applying to the Harvard MBA admissions cycle in September 2017. I know its a bit early, but i want some time to organise myself especially because my job is so busy etc. etc.
Hi aphalleon, it is good to be thinking early about how to best present yourself for HBS. I will make comments below.
so here is my profile:

Country: Australian citizen (although i am of Korean descent)

Education: BSc Mathematics and Economics at London School of Economics (UK) graduated with First Class Honours (ranked in top 10% of my year group).
MPhil in Economics at Cambridge University (ranked quite average in cohort).great to be in top 10% of class for undergrad- probably more important than MPhil but would be even more ideal if both were top of class.

Work Experience: Spent my last 3 years working in the Sales and Trading division of a mid tier American bulge bracket in London. Before that, internships in Big Four consulting, a major British bank and a small accounting firm (all in Korea). You bring some good work experience- 3 yrs is a bit on light side but if you will have 4 yrs at matriculation that is stronger.

GMAT: 730. Decent quant score, less good in verbal.solid score

Extracurriculars:: President of a medium sized society during undergrad. Decent amount of community service as well as volunteer work with my company as well as in my personal life. Advisor to a tech startup in my spare timeThink about how you can explain the impact of this, how does it connect to your professional goals? The tech startup advising is interesting and could be a great place to showcase leadership.

Goals: To move into a hedge fund and one day start my own hedge fund/fintech company.Make sure you articulate a "why" here- why you want to move from current role to this

Assuming i get decent recommendations, essays etc. What would you say my chances are?
So the odds to HBS are about 10%, but with these stats I would say you have a better shot than that. One thing that can really help is some coaching throughout the process and we have a very deep bench on HBS here at Stratus. We can do a free consult with you and give you more insight and you can see how we could add value to your overall application: Link for this here:https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com/admissions/business-school-admissions-consulting-gmat-club-visitor/

I don't see any reason from your stats why you can't be successful- but that does not mean you will be. It can really help to have some coaching from people who had success getting clients into interviews and accepts for HBS. You need to highlight your habit of leadership, analytical aptitude and ability (which mostly your is in your GMAT and grades) and engaged community citizenship. Look here for more insight from HBS on this: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/Pages ... g-for.aspx

We'd love to help you at Stratus so please reach out so we can learn more. And good luck to you- it is awesome that you are starting now!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 32

Re: Profile Evaluation (for Harvard MBA)   [#permalink] 06 Apr 2017, 09:54