It is currently 17 Dec 2017, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation - GMAT 700, 4.5 yr work ex in tech startup

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation - GMAT 700, 4.5 yr work ex in tech startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 02:11
Hi there,

I would love to get some feedback on my profile and the schools I should target at. I'm new to the forum, so look forward to contributing actively.

The basics:
- GMAT 700 (Q48, V39) on second attempt. First attempt 670. Considering a retake
- Undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering from a top 25 engineering university in India. GPA: 7.61/10

Work ex total (4.5 years):
0-3 years in India:
- Joined a rapidly growing tech startup backed by marquee Silicon Valley investors (think Sequoia) after graduating college. Over the last 4 years, the startup has grown 10X to operate in 7 countries and has over 500+ employees.
- Worked in a strategy role for 3 years in India, directly with CXOs (who are ex-McK and ex-Stanford) in leading a variety of cross-functional growth initiatives ranging from process improvements, growth-equity investment to customer profitability. Reported to COO for 3 yrs.

3-4.5 years in south-east Asia
- Promoted to lead the company's market entry into Thailand and Indonesia. Relocated to Bangkok and Jakarta to launch operations from scratch to $200K in recurring revenue in both these markets, onboarding the first 50 customers which included major Fortune 500 brands.
- In both countries, hired and trained a local biz dev and ops team and led them from day 1. I lead a team of five and responsible for the complete lifecycle of customer experience in these two markets.

Extra-curriculars (I believe this is the most unique part about my profile)
- Founded an environmental venture during my second year of college and grew the business over 4 years to over 500+ clients (continued part time after graduating). Worked with major Indian corporations and institutions to solve their waste management problems. Venture operated in 4 Indian cities with 100+ volunteers.
- Won several international awards, and national media coverage for the impact of these projects. Also selected to represent India at major UN summits (think Paris agreement) to showcase these projects to world leaders.

Short term goal: Join in clean-tech firm in business development/VC firm focused on impact investing
Longterm goal: Start my own venture that solve global environmental challenges using technology (i.e intersection of sustainability and tech)

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT 700, 4.5 yr work ex in tech startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 08:40
SDave91 wrote:
Hi there,

I would love to get some feedback on my profile and the schools I should target at. I'm new to the forum, so look forward to contributing actively.

The basics:
- GMAT 700 (Q48, V39) on second attempt. First attempt 670. Considering a retake
- Undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering from a top 25 engineering university in India. GPA: 7.61/10

Work ex total (4.5 years):
0-3 years in India:
- Joined a rapidly growing tech startup backed by marquee Silicon Valley investors (think Sequoia) after graduating college. Over the last 4 years, the startup has grown 10X to operate in 7 countries and has over 500+ employees.
- Worked in a strategy role for 3 years in India, directly with CXOs (who are ex-McK and ex-Stanford) in leading a variety of cross-functional growth initiatives ranging from process improvements, growth-equity investment to customer profitability. Reported to COO for 3 yrs.

3-4.5 years in south-east Asia
- Promoted to lead the company's market entry into Thailand and Indonesia. Relocated to Bangkok and Jakarta to launch operations from scratch to $200K in recurring revenue in both these markets, onboarding the first 50 customers which included major Fortune 500 brands.
- In both countries, hired and trained a local biz dev and ops team and led them from day 1. I lead a team of five and responsible for the complete lifecycle of customer experience in these two markets.

Extra-curriculars (I believe this is the most unique part about my profile)
- Founded an environmental venture during my second year of college and grew the business over 4 years to over 500+ clients (continued part time after graduating). Worked with major Indian corporations and institutions to solve their waste management problems. Venture operated in 4 Indian cities with 100+ volunteers.
- Won several international awards, and national media coverage for the impact of these projects. Also selected to represent India at major UN summits (think Paris agreement) to showcase these projects to world leaders.

Short term goal: Join in clean-tech firm in business development/VC firm focused on impact investing
Longterm goal: Start my own venture that solve global environmental challenges using technology (i.e intersection of sustainability and tech)

Hey dude!
I like your profile. You seem to have had an interesting and exciting time in this startup, and I would love to delve deep into the details.. but basically what I see from here looks good. Expansion, real investment, and then there's you moving to bigger and better roles.

So far so good.

But there are going to be some obstacles... you are an Indian applicant from a non-IIT school with a good, but not amazing GMAT.

So the first question you should be broaching is: apply now? or retake and apply next year?

It's a fundamental one, and one that I would like to hear your thoughts on as well as the pro and con arguments...

With your current profile, you might be good to go say in schools in the 15-35 range (about).... but with a 740, it would be solid in the 5-20, approximately.

What do you think?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Profile evaluation - GMAT 700, 4.5 yr work ex in tech startup [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 09:44
Hey Jon, thanks for taking out the time to review and share your feedback. I really appreciate it!

I applied to a few schools in R1 (Yale & MIT), but it hasn't worked out. I'm already preparing to retake the GMAT this month, aiming for a higher score. If that works out I would consider applying in R2 this year as I already have spent a lot of time on the essays in round 1. If not, should I apply to Ross and UCLA with the current stats?

One more question - I'm planning to leave the startup that I have worked with for 4.5 years and move back to India to start a business. I'm very eager to explore a business idea that I have and plan to make it full-time occupation for the next year. Would the schools look at this negatively? Or should I join a large company to add a brand name to the resume? Also, If I apply next year, I would be closer to a the higher end of the work-ex spectrum. Would that be a concern?

Thanks in advance!

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 10:10
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background! You have a very interesting profile - as was mentioned, the only thing that is really holding you back from a top school (assuming that you are able to execute strongly across the other aspects of your application) is your lower GMAT score for your demographic. What I especially find appealing about your profile is your very strong experience/global perspective growing a startup as well as the impactful work you've done on the extracurricular side.

If you can get that GMAT score up, you'll be in great shape! I hope this is helpful - if you'd like to discuss further feel free to reach out at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 17 Nov 2017, 19:11
I think your experience in a startup, building things ground up gives you ammunition for top schools. A higher GMAT score, however, will help.

In my opinion, leaving your existing company to pursue a business idea may not be the best way step forward because it’s hard to show tangible progress in a year or so when you’re starting something. Moreover, it also puts a question mark on the commitment to pursue the venture is you want to apply to B-schools within a short span after launching it.

Applying next year wouldn’t push your work experience too far to be a concern.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 22 Nov 2017, 07:05
SDave91 wrote:
Hey Jon, thanks for taking out the time to review and share your feedback. I really appreciate it!

I applied to a few schools in R1 (Yale & MIT), but it hasn't worked out. I'm already preparing to retake the GMAT this month, aiming for a higher score. If that works out I would consider applying in R2 this year as I already have spent a lot of time on the essays in round 1. If not, should I apply to Ross and UCLA with the current stats?

One more question - I'm planning to leave the startup that I have worked with for 4.5 years and move back to India to start a business. I'm very eager to explore a business idea that I have and plan to make it full-time occupation for the next year. Would the schools look at this negatively? Or should I join a large company to add a brand name to the resume? Also, If I apply next year, I would be closer to a the higher end of the work-ex spectrum. Would that be a concern?

Thanks in advance!

Hey dude,
Well you are welcome!
:)

A few thoughts:
First, before you carry on with with other applications, you may also want to review your unsuccessful apps and see how you can improve them.

For your second question, I wouldn't leave for a startup right now, unless you are pretty sure you can be successful. Maybe after you submit your apps :) As for working for a big company.... hmmm I don't think I can answer it here. It depends on the context... But feel free to send us more detail and we can try and figure things out.

Cheers,

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Profile evaluation - GMAT 700, 4.5 yr work ex in tech startup   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2017, 07:05

Profile evaluation - GMAT 700, 4.5 yr work ex in tech startup

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap