Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation - Indian Banker - URGENT [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi Paul,

This has been the best analysis of my resume. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time out to evaluate my profile.

On the outset, thank you for the confidence that you have shown in my candidacy. This was my first GMAT
attempt and i will certainly try and improve my score based on your recommendation.

You are spot on with your analysis of EU schools. I am trying to focus all my attention on US based institutions.

I am still confused about my schools since i have a pretty long list. Is it possible for you to categorize these schools as "safety", "reach" and "stretch" so that i get an idea on the schools i need to stress on.

I am also worried about my employer reputation. My bank is an Indian bank with offices in Asia. It is one of the oldest and reputed in India but internationally not a big name (no name at all). I hope the schools look at the quality of my work rather than the reputation and brand name of my employer.

Again, Thank you for the awesome analysis. I wish i can crack this B-School code. I reallly wish..Cheers
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sarveshmehta:

Thanks for the props on my analysis. The reason I put so much time and effort into it is because you did a really good job letting me into your train of thoughts and stream of consciousness. Karma baby! Or as I like to say - Peanut Butter Jelly Time! :banana

The list of stretches and safeties goes in order. I would say that Columbia and Chicago are 2 schools you can get into - especially Chicago which seems to be Indian friendly based on my experience. The rest of your programs are stretches with Wharton and MIT being the most attainable for you.

Don't lose sleep over your bank's reputation. The company does not make the man. The man makes the company and that is why your kick-ass leadership contributions needs to be highlighted. DO NOT feel like you have to explain what your company is. They get it - its a bank that is not Goldman. So you best believe they will shift gears and focus on how well you did - as you can't hide behind the Goldman name (or any other name for that matter.)

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

sarveshmehta wrote:
Hi Paul,

This has been the best analysis of my resume. I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time out to evaluate my profile.

On the outset, thank you for the confidence that you have shown in my candidacy. This was my first GMAT
attempt and i will certainly try and improve my score based on your recommendation.

You are spot on with your analysis of EU schools. I am trying to focus all my attention on US based institutions.

I am still confused about my schools since i have a pretty long list. Is it possible for you to categorize these schools as "safety", "reach" and "stretch" so that i get an idea on the schools i need to stress on.

I am also worried about my employer reputation. My bank is an Indian bank with offices in Asia. It is one of the oldest and reputed in India but internationally not a big name (no name at all). I hope the schools look at the quality of my work rather than the reputation and brand name of my employer.

Again, Thank you for the awesome analysis. I wish i can crack this B-School code. I reallly wish..Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your reply.

You hit the bulls eye. I plan to concentrate on schools with solid finance pedigree, namely:
- Columbia
- Chicago
- NYU
- Wharton
- Yale
- Tepper (safety)
- Cornell (safety)
- Darden (safety)

I have kept three schools in the safety bracket where i feel i have higher chances of getting in (please correct me if i am wrong in any way).

I deeply appreciate all your help. If the 'Karma' thing is really true, u'll be a king soon ;-)

Pray for me..hahah..cheers
Send PM
Expert Reply
This is a realistic (and good) list. :thumbup:
Godspeed my friend, Godspeed .... On another note, I have no idea why I am using so many emoticons in my posts today. :oops:

sarveshmehta wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks again for your reply.

You hit the bulls eye. I plan to concentrate on schools with solid finance pedigree, namely:
- Columbia
- Chicago
- NYU
- Wharton
- Yale
- Tepper (safety)
- Cornell (safety)
- Darden (safety)

I have kept three schools in the safety bracket where i feel i have higher chances of getting in (please correct me if i am wrong in any way).

I deeply appreciate all your help. If the 'Karma' thing is really true, u'll be a king soon ;-)

Pray for me..hahah..cheers
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Paul,

Hope you've been doing well.

I was researching about some schools in Europe in order to geographically hedge my MBA bet ;-)

I was looking at LBS, INSEAD and oxbridge. Do you have any views on these?? I want to apply to one of these but a little confused. Given my profile and goals, which school should i target (keeping in mind my chances of getting in that school)??

Thank you again. You're my first and last choice when it comes to MBA guidance. Cheers :-)
Send PM
Expert Reply
We meet again Mr. Mehta!

I hit on this a little in one of our earlier posts. Your 3 years of work experience might not be considered enough at LBSINSEAD and/or Oxbridge. It basically puts you at the low end of their age range. Our of all the EU programs you just listed, LBS is going to give you the best bang for your buck - considering that you do want to go into finance.

My recommendation with any specific school, especially schools where you might have a little more difficulty determining your fit, is to go to the career center website for each respective school and pull their employment report. Look to see the number of students going into finance, who is hiring them and for what roles. I believe that if you had a few more years of work experience, your best that's what lie within the UK. This is because I believe that the UK government provides no cost work visas to anyone graduating from an MBA program in their country. You can't beat that deal - if it is still in play.

Thanks for the compliment - if I am your "first and last", then you are my ace in the place, or alternatively, my man with the MBA plan!

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

sarveshmehta wrote:
Hi Paul,

Hope you've been doing well.

I was researching about some schools in Europe in order to geographically hedge my MBA bet ;-)

I was looking at LBS, INSEAD and oxbridge. Do you have any views on these?? I want to apply to one of these but a little confused. Given my profile and goals, which school should i target (keeping in mind my chances of getting in that school)??

Thank you again. You're my first and last choice when it comes to MBA guidance. Cheers :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks Paul, you always clear my doubts. Cheers again.

Will keep in touch. :-)

Regards
Sarvesh
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Paul,

We meet again. Hope you are doing well.

Ok, so disaster on the GMAT. Got a 650. What should i do?? retake or give a shot at GRE?? I took the GRE in 2008 and got a 1320 (770Q + 550V), will that count now?? or should i jus retake the GMAT.

Given my current DRE/GMAT scores and my profile above, which schools do u recommend now from that list?? do i still have a shot at top 15??

Thanks again Paul..ur the mannnn
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Paul,

Ok, so disaster on the GMAT. Got a 650. What should i do?? retake or give a shot at GRE?? I took the GRE in 2008 and got a 1320 (770Q + 550V), will that count now?? or should i jus retake the GMAT.

Given my current DRE/GMAT scores and my profile above, which schools do u recommend now from that list?? do i still have a shot at top 15??

Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hey Paul,

Send PM
Expert Reply
You really need to retake the GMAT. With a 650 you are not competitive at a top 15 business school. It is no point in applying to 6/7 schools only to be rejected or waitlisted. Just spend that time on studying for the GMAT instead of applying early to round one.

I do not recommend taking the GRE. It is not a direct replacement for the GMAT. You have to understand the context by which the GRE was introduced as an alternative entrance exam. It was meant to attract younger applicants and in particular, female applicants. It was meant to attract a greater number of nontraditional applicants who may historically not consider business school. You really do not fit that mold – so stay away from the GRE.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

sarveshmehta wrote:
Hey Paul,

GMAT Club Bot