Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Personal MBA Coach Founder
Status:Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Own Kudos [?]: 359 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: UPDATED: Profile Evaluation - Lawyer, low GPA and intl experience [#permalink]
Thank you for the feedback Scott. I always thought HBS and Wharton were big stretches so I will make a decision on whether to apply to these schools once I have an official GMAT score.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: UPDATED: Profile Evaluation - Lawyer, low GPA and intl experience [#permalink]
Expert Reply
McFish wrote:
Hi All

I'm an Australian Lawyer that's currently living and working in London. I am considering b-school but would like your thoughts on the likely target schools in deciding whether it is worth going down this path. Details are as follows:

Me: 27yr old white Australian male

Further details below but a brief summary:

Undergrad: Bachelor of Laws from an unknown (internationally) uni with a GPA of 4.75 (7 point scale). I was working full time during my degree and also finished a 4 year degree in 3.5 years.

Work experience: Real estate agent in family business for 7 years, part time undergrad legal work 2 years, full time Lawyer for 3 years. This includes 1 year managing a team of junior paralegals (6/7 people) and one of the fastest promotions in the firms history. All legal work has been at leading national and international firms.

I also created a start up that ran for 12 or so months. I won a $10,000 grant from a local bank but was unable to raise the capital to take the company further. Company was featured in many leading tech publications (TechCrunch, Gizmodo, Yahoo etc).

GMAT: I am aiming for a 700 based on the practice tests done to date, however have time to try and bring this up.

Extracurriculars: 12 months living and working abroad in London, extensive travel, committee member of industry relevant body in Australia.

Target (in order of preference): HBS, Wharton, Oxford, Cornell (Johnson), UCLA (Anderson) and ASU (Carey)

What do you think my chances are of the above schools? What GMAT do you think I would need to make these schools an option? What are other schools you would recommend?

Detailed background

Education and Qualifications

2012-2013 College of Law - Graduate Diploma of Legal Practice

2010-2012 Queensland University of Technology - Bachelor of Laws
GPA: 4.778 (7 point scale)
Four year degree completed at accelerated pace while working full time

2006 & 2009 Queensland University of Technology - Bachelor of Justice (incomplete)
Withdrew semester 1 2006 and re-enrolled semester 1 2009. GPA for 2009: 5.5

Work Experience

[Silver circle London Law Firm]
Sep-15 – Present
Australian Qualified Lawyer
London, United Kingdom

• Advising institutional client on the on-going asset management of £1.39bn industrial property portfolio
• Drafting and concurrently negotiating 23 commercial leases with an annual rent of approximately £1m (as at 4 January 2016)
• Transitioning from the provision of Australian legal advice to the provision of English legal advice

[Leading international Australian law firm]
May-14 – Sep-15
Associate Brisbane, Australia

• Promoted from Lawyer to Associate on 1 July 2015, being one of the fasted promotions to Associate in the firm
• Managed a team of six people in delivering legal services for the progressive development of four master planned communities (combined end value exceeding $100bn) and two mixed use urban villages (combined end value exceeding $1bn)
• Exceeded key performance indicators for the 2014-15 financial year by up to 120% and received a performance review of ‘exceeds’, being the highest possible rating
• Implemented streamlined conveyancing procedures resulting in a significant increase in profitability of all conveyancing matters

[my own company]
Jan-14 – Jun-15
Director Brisbane, Australia

• Created a startup company for the design and development of the world’s first commercially available door lever with Bluetooth and wifi control
• Winner of the St George Bank ‘Kick Start Your Startup’ competition with a prize of $10,000
• Ran a successful public relations campaign resulting in the Genie Smart Lock being reported internationally in hundreds of publications (including Gizmodo, Yahoo News and TechCrunch)
• Sought out and pitched the investment opportunity to angel investors and venture capital firms and successfully developed relationships with both angel investors and a venture capitalist

[Leading Australian law firm]
Aug-12 – May-14 (full time post-graduation)
May-11 – Aug-12 (part time pre-graduation)
Solicitor Brisbane, Australia

• Promoted from Paralegal to Trainee Solicitor in August 2012 and from Trainee Solicitor to Solicitor in April 2013
• Supervised a Paralegal in the delivery of property conveyancing services
• Advised on the due diligence and acquisition of a $102m shopping centre and the progressive development of a $500m master planned community
• Effectively delegated work to Trainee Solicitors, Paralegals and Personal Assistants as appropriate

[Family real estate business]
Aug-06 – May-11 (full time)
May-11 – Aug-12 (part time)
Licensed Real Estate Agent Brisbane, Australia

• Liaised with buyers and sellers in negotiating the sale of investment properties
• Office management including accounts receivable, accounts payable, preparation and registration of employment agreements and general office duties
• Successfully managed full time studies and a full time career

Additional Information

Interests:
• Volleyball – captain of the first VI volleyball team in high school (indoor) and third place U17s at 2005 state championships (beach)
• Bodybuilding – currently preparing for my first bodybuilding competition in June 2016
• Football – social indoor football for a mixed team before leaving Australia
• Travel – travelling through Europe once every month or two with trips booked this year for running of the bulls, sailing Croatia, Le Mans and Oktoberfest

Achievements:
• Appointed as a committee member on the Urban Edge committee for the Urban Development Institute of Australia (Qld) for a term of two years in February 2014
• Winner of the St George Bank ‘Kick Start Your Startup’ competition with a $10,000 prize
• Licensed Real Estate Salesperson (Queensland, Australia)
• Successfully hosted a networking event in 2014 for approximately 40 young professionals in the property development industry and obtained three corporate sponsors for the event

Nationality: Australian national and holder of a renewable UK Residence Permit (work permitted) valid until 22/09/2020. Currently residing and working in London.

Hey dude,
So first of all it's really tough to give a real profile evaluation without a GMAT Because its all guesswork.

Buuut still, you have some cool stuff - Real Estate + Startup + Law = Very good :)
B-schools tend to LOVE lawyers, especially those with good experience such as yourself.

Your major weakness is your UG school + GPA which can make things tough at Top 5 schools, but if you can hit a 720+ should make you competitive everywhere else.

Also if your family business is ore than a mom + pop affair it could have potential to seriously boost your profile. So feel free to write more about that.

I hope this helps!
And if you have any other questions, let me know!!!
Best,
JF
GMAT Club Bot