Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation (Low GPA, Good GMAT) [#permalink]
First of all, thank you for all your honest suggestions, they are all really hopeful.

I think right now is the time to do MBA is because I can already see myself in next two years in current company. I would be doing to the same thing, but only managing more local (Vietnamese) employees, 250~350 people. My pay and title would go up, but doing the same thing is what bothers me. It lacks challenges and fails to interest me. I'd love to explore more about this industry in a different angle and eventually learn how to run a company. Hence MBA seems like a right choice, it would give me a broad knowledge of each function in a company and also advantages when I apply jobs post-MBA.

Taking some classes to offset my low GPA is a really good suggestion. For a long time I had no idea what to do with my low gpa. But it would be difficult for me right now because I'm working oversea. I can try some online classes, just dont know if those counts?

Thanks in advance!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
you are better off waiting one/2 years, taking classes (and getting A's, NO B's!) and not applying to HBS/MIT or Columbia. I am going to be honest with you. I am not trying to mean, (I have a GPA that is slightly higher than yours)

There is nothing you can do (besides get a reco letter from bill gates or obama) that will get you into a top tier school. I doubt any of those schools (CBS, HBS, MIT) will even read your application. Yes they dont read every app!

I understand your optimism, I had that too, but soon you will realize a 2.6, with little EC and questionable (in the eyes of top MBA programs, not me) will keep all those top doors closed for you.

Nothing will "offset" a 2.6.

Now here is where you have a chance, in a couple years after a steady stream of relevant courses you have a CHANCE at schools outside of the top 14-16. By all means shoot for a Duke/UVA/Ross but those are stretches and will prob be straight dings for you.

Gtown/Vandy/BC/BU are more your speed.....after the classes though, and still not true safeties

Again I want to be clear, I'm not being mean, this is what us with low GPA and high GMAT are mostly destined for. Yea there are stories of the 2.9 and 720 that get into CBS, but they have top WE and EC.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi

I believe the best time to do an MBA is when you most want it for yourself. It is a tough intensive course and requires alot of hard work. Additionally you need to know what you want to take away from the course. My suggestion woule be - go ahead and give it your best shot. Pick a basket of top and mid-tier schools to balance it out.

You need to give the Admissions Commitee good reasons to take away attention from a low GPA. Highlight your work ex in different countries and what you learnt there. I am sure you have some experience in the branded shoes industry so talk about that and how an MBA would help you achieve what you envision for yourself after. You could also reiterate that you plan to take prep lessons before hand to help you keep up with the class.

Good luck!

The Apphelp Global team
Admissions Consultant
GMAT Club Bot