It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation - Military (Looking for a consultant)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation - Military (Looking for a consultant) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 06:29
To be honest, I'm currently on the fence about using a consultant. I've read some general reviews on the subject as well as seen mixed results on the forums, etc and want to ensure it's money well spent.

I know my applications will have some shortcomings that need to be filled, poor undergrad GPA/weak degree, but feel I have some strong work experience and a maybe decent story to help close the gap.

Long story short - I was an immature college kid that didn't take college serious but was able to score a flight school slot due to a top 1% flight aptitude test. Left college early, went to flight school, finished as an honor graduate and have had an exceptional military career since.

My concern is being realistic about my school selection given the issues detailed above and if a consultant could make an M7 admit possible. Please know, I don't expect free advice and assume a consultant's time is valuable, just looking for some expectation management as I look to make an investment in a consulting service and on a possible school selection.

A little info about me:

Career:
AH-64D/E Apache Instructor/Stands Pilot - US Army
3 x deployments, many military achievements, etc, top 1%/10% evaluations

Career 2: While in the Army, started an online retail business that has grown into a full skydiving/paragliding drop zone and manufacturing business with several employees. Gross sales -250k, currently projected to do 500k in 2017, currently experiencing rapid growth due to a new location and recent product launch.

School:
Undergrad - Oklahoma State University.
Degree - University Studies - Business/Aviation Focus-2.7 GPA.
Notes- left school junior year for flight school, finished school on my second deployment, all course work since leaving for the Army has been a 4.0.

GRE: both scores around 150, taken some time ago with no studying. Been studying last several months, taken several practice test, and estimate next score will be around a 160.

Future career - consulting, defense industry acquisitions, startup

Thanks for taking the time to review.

Regards,
Shawn

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Admission Consultant
G
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%
Re: Profile Evaluation - Military (Looking for a consultant) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 14:33
shawnrw wrote:
To be honest, I'm currently on the fence about using a consultant. I've read some general reviews on the subject as well as seen mixed results on the forums, etc and want to ensure it's money well spent.

I know my applications will have some shortcomings that need to be filled, poor undergrad GPA/weak degree, but feel I have some strong work experience and a maybe decent story to help close the gap.

Long story short - I was an immature college kid that didn't take college serious but was able to score a flight school slot due to a top 1% flight aptitude test. Left college early, went to flight school, finished as an honor graduate and have had an exceptional military career since.

My concern is being realistic about my school selection given the issues detailed above and if a consultant could make an M7 admit possible. Please know, I don't expect free advice and assume a consultant's time is valuable, just looking for some expectation management as I look to make an investment in a consulting service and on a possible school selection.

A little info about me:

Career:
AH-64D/E Apache Instructor/Stands Pilot - US Army
3 x deployments, many military achievements, etc, top 1%/10% evaluations

Career 2: While in the Army, started an online retail business that has grown into a full skydiving/paragliding drop zone and manufacturing business with several employees. Gross sales -250k, currently projected to do 500k in 2017, currently experiencing rapid growth due to a new location and recent product launch.

School:
Undergrad - Oklahoma State University.
Degree - University Studies - Business/Aviation Focus-2.7 GPA.
Notes- left school junior year for flight school, finished school on my second deployment, all course work since leaving for the Army has been a 4.0.

GRE: both scores around 150, taken some time ago with no studying. Been studying last several months, taken several practice test, and estimate next score will be around a 160.

Future career - consulting, defense industry acquisitions, startup

Thanks for taking the time to review.

Regards,
Shawn

Shawn,

Thank you for your detailed profile post and congrats on the startup. It sounds like a really interesting company. I have worked with a lot of military applicants and even some like you who have started an online retail business. The honest answer if an M7 will be tricky with the current profile. That doesn't mean it won't happen, but you may have to reset expectations a little even with the best support. If you have a 2.7 you really need to crush the GMAT or GRE to have a chance and unfortunately a 320 isn't close enough.

Do you think you can improve further or are you interested in tutoring?

Email to discuss further. Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Personal MBA Coach
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Military (Looking for a consultant) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2017, 16:13
Hi Shawn,

I agree that the M7 schools will be a stretch, so I would encourage you to broaden the range of schools that you are applying to. Top-tier programs will question your ability to handle the rigor of the curriculum with your weaker GPA; note that the average GRE score for the top schools is closer to 330, so you'll want to at least hit that level. What I really like about your profile though is your leadership and ability to take initiative. If it would be helpful to discuss further through a free consultation, feel free to reach out (info@ivygroupe.com or http://www.ivygroupe.com).

Best,
Shaifali

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation - Military (Looking for a consultant)   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2017, 16:13

Profile Evaluation - Military (Looking for a consultant)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap