It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 22:34

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 37

Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Profile evaluation please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2011, 12:10
Hello,

I am looking to apply in round 2 and was hoping you could review my profile.

My stats:
25 at matriculation with 32 months of full time WE (government mgmt consulting) - just switched companies over the summer for a promotion/more responsibilities

700 GMAT (95% V, 67% Q) - low quant, but since I did well in calculus, statistics, and finances courses, perhaps they may give me a break

3.3 cumulative GPA (Econ major) from private Top 20 (I think my final 2 years was around 3.2ish). Transfered from a state university with a 4.0 my freshman year, but I'm not sure if adcoms will take that into consideration.

Didn't get involved with anything during my undergrad unfortunately, but I picked up the slack post-graduation by volunteering to do some college career counseling, volunteering at the Make A Wish Foundation, and I hold a couple of chair positions on my local alumni board

I have good reviews from my employers will be able to get solid recs from them as well, although it might be hard to swing a rec from my current manager since I just started.

I would like to get into i-banking (energy industry) post-MBA in order to gain some transactional/valuation experience before getting a team together and take over a company. I figure I could use the i-banking experience to add value to a small/medium-sized company that is looking to expand via acquisitions.

A little bit more about myself...I've lived on three different continents and worked for a summer in Abu Dhabi for a PE firm. Will being "cultured" (for lack of a better word) help potentially?

My list of possible schools includes the following:

Yale
NYU
Columbia
Ross
Darden
Chicago

Since I'm going to be a career changer, will the schools on my list be accommodating or will some look down on this? Do you think I have a shot at all this year or will I need to wait? Thanks

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 37

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Veritas Prep

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 3

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Oct 2011, 05:26
No need to wait--you have a good profile with many interesting aspects. I will try to address your specific questions:

1) Good grades in quant coursework can indeed help balance GMAT, but in general, b-schools are more concerned about a low quant than a low verbal, so i would also emphasize any quantitative requirements of your job as well to show you will be able to 'hang' with the rigors of graduate level math courses such as financial modeling, statistics etc.

2) Adcoms look at all your transcripts, so the 4.0 will count, but since it was from a lower ranked school, you will be glad you transferred, as it makes a big difference in where you went to UG to the adcoms. top 20 school will help you.

3) Great that you are involved in the community. b-schools want students who are more than just workaholics and demonstrate passion for giving back. Not having done so in college will be easier to handle in the application than if it were the other way around (iow no involvement post college).

4) Recos are best written by someone who knows your abilities and can comment specifically on your performance, so if your new boss does not meet this requirement, go with older supers. This is an excusable move by the adcoms.

5) Career switching is very common in b-school, but you need to be careful how you cast your vision. You want to sound like you have been strategic in this move and have prepared yourself professionally to make it. In other words, don't make it seem like b-school is the 'ticket' to enable the switch, but rather that your experience and background has prepared you for it and b-school is another piece of the partially assembled puzzle.

6) Working and travellling abroad is always a good piece of the profile, and yes you will get 'credit' for having done so. B-schools are composed of as much as 40% international students, and it is getting more and more important in the global economy to have an international perspective, whether or not you end up doing any work internationally.

Let us know if we can be helpful as you prepare applications.

Bryant Michaels
Admissions Consultant

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 3

Profile evaluation please

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap