Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618817 [9]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Real Estate (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
tanakadu wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am a French male with 2 years work experience (will have 3.5 by the time I join and 1 year of internships made during my undergraduate not included in these 2 years)
Working area: Investment banking (M&A)
Company: BNP (French Bank)
GMAT: 750
GPA: 3.0
Undergraduate: Top 5 French Business School
Had a start-up experience during my first years of undergraduate.

EC:
Volunteered 3 months in an African country to work on the renovation of foster homes for single women and orphans.
I spend 2 hours each week to supply soup kitchen to the needs in my city.
I have played volleyball (low level) 14 years and I am found of mountain climbing (e.g. Mt Blanc, Kilimandjaro, Mt Fuji, ...)

My GPA and the bank I work for are not really stellar and I do not have international experience.
My goal is to switch into Private Equity and try to go abroad.

What do you think of my application to INSEAD? Do you think I can try more Tier-1 B-School?

Thanks

Help INSEAD 17Ds open a bank account with BNP remotely and we'll absolutely make sure you get in (awesome profile though, are you doing restos du coeur? either way you should def apply).
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 1109 [0]
Given Kudos: 1752
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: INSEAD Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
tanakadu wrote:
Hello everybody,

I am a French male with 2 years work experience (will have 3.5 by the time I join and 1 year of internships made during my undergraduate not included in these 2 years)

EC:
Volunteered 3 months in an African country to work on the renovation of foster homes for single women and orphans.
I have played volleyball (low level) 14 years and I am found of mountain climbing (e.g. Mt Blanc, Kilimandjaro, Mt Fuji, ...)

My GPA and the bank I work for are not really stellar and I do not have international experience.

What do you think of my application to INSEAD? Do you think I can try more Tier-1 B-School?

Thanks

All in all, your profile is really excellent but INSEAD has a really international profile and they highly value international experience. So is there any chance you have anything at all to add with regards to that? If so, I’d say your chances are really good, the only thing lacking now is the international experience as I see it.
Feel free to contact ARINGO through our website if you’d like to brainstorm about international experiences if you are not sure what counts etc. https://aringo.com/
(Please describe your dilemma if you do so so we’ll know it’s you)

If not, is there any way you can get some experience of that kind before applying? I believe it would really help you with INSEAD specifically. But if you are sure that you can’t, an application at this point might also get you in.

To be honest, I would highly recommend that you look at other schools as well, as INSEAD is probably the school where international experience counts the most. So I would say that your chances are probably better in other schools, including some US ones if you are interested in that at all.
(Needless to say, we’d also be happy to brainstorm school selection with you if you’d like to consider other options)

Either way: Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
babushka84 wrote:
tanakadu wrote:
Hello everybody,

EC:

Thanks

Help INSEAD 17Ds open a bank account with BNP remotely and we'll absolutely make sure you get in (awesome profile though, are you doing restos du coeur? either way you should def apply).

:lol: :lol: :lol: having trouble with french banks?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
tanakadu wrote:
Hello everybody,

EC:

Thanks

wow! Super profile. I think INSEAD is a cake walk.
Just curious.. Why not try Stanford or Wharton?

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Expert Reply
In addition to the advices above, you may strengthen your profile by deepening your involvement with your extracurricular activities, such as organizing events, initiating new activities, or even expanding the reach. These would help provide more examples of your leadership, initiative, or innovation.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools: INSEAD Jan'18
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V41
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Hello,

Just wanted to have a Profile Evaluation for myself.

Graduation: B.Sc (Hon) Mathematics from highly reputed university in Pakistan, GPA: 2.7/4 (low unfortunately)
WE: 78 months (by matriculation), Function: Trade Marketing in two multi-national Consumer Products organizations. Managing the biggest brand within the country.
GMAT 1: 660 (Q49 V32 IR6)
GMAT 2: 730 (Q48, V41, IR6)
EC: Co-founded journalism society in University, part of various clubs, nominated champion for various projects at work, teaching mathematics at my family-owned tuition centers in my home city
International exposure: Exchange year to York University, Canada, during graduation. Official trainings and conferences in Turkey, Dubai & Hong Kong. Personal travel to Europe, South East Asia etc.
Post-MBA Goal: Pursue a long-term career in Marketing function, up to the C-suite level.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Profile Evaluation.
Hi Experts!

I'd like to kindly request you a profile evaluation on my candidacy for INSEAD. Here goes.

Background:
Male- 25 years- Singapore Permanent Resident.
B.tech from National university of Singapore with a CAP of 4.05 on 5
3 years of work experience as Senior project Engineer in Singapore Government’s organization.
Since I apply for Jan 2018 intake it would be more than 4 plus years of WE by then.
GMAT score- 700
Quants 50
Verbal 34
AWA 6
IR 7.
Passed CFA level 1 and 2 in first attempt and will take CFA level 3 in june 2017.
Active member of the various community services organizations in Singapore and an avid tennis player.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Hi experts,
Can someone please review my profile and help me evaluate my chances of getting into INSEAD with the GMAT score and profile that i have :-D

Swedish female (half bulgarian), 29 yrs old

Academics
GMAT score: 690 (Q45 V39)
GPA: 3.29 (BSc in Business and Economics, specializations Management and Accounting & Financial Management from Nordic target school Stockholm School of Economics)

Work experience
Most recently: business controller at H&M global HQ, part of employer branding + recruting/interviewing team, taken leadership courses, mentoring trainees and new employees. Working in highly international teams.
Previous experience include part time jobs at a hedgefund + a bank (both at middle office)

Extra curriculars
BBB – Barbro’s Best and Brightest - Board member
Unique business network for Swedish women, aiming to promote young women leaders.

Student Association at the Stockholm School of Economics
Head of Corporate Relations, Handelsdagarna career days fair
The largest annual project of the Student Association, with around 70 participating companies. Responsible for collaboration partners and corporate sponsors, as well as managing a team of four sponsor hunters.

Student Association at the Stockholm School of Economics
Head of Event, M2: Media & Marketing Fair
An annual fair with focus on businesses in the fields of media and marketing. Responsible for the banquet and dinner for 200 people, as well as the preceding party for 500 people.

Originally posted by karolinemalmberg on 15 Jan 2017, 08:14.
Last edited by karolinemalmberg on 18 Jan 2017, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Nice! Retake the GMAT - get 720+
I used manhattan gmat - very very good
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
salman7944 wrote:
Hello,

Just wanted to have a Profile Evaluation for myself.

Graduation: B.Sc (Hon) Mathematics from highly reputed university in Pakistan, GPA: 2.7/4 (low unfortunately)
WE: 78 months (by matriculation), Function: Trade Marketing in two multi-national Consumer Products organizations. Managing the biggest brand within the country.
GMAT 1: 660 (Q49 V32 IR6)
GMAT 2: 730 (Q48, V41, IR6)
EC: Co-founded journalism society in University, part of various clubs, nominated champion for various projects at work, teaching mathematics at my family-owned tuition centers in my home city
International exposure: Exchange year to York University, Canada, during graduation. Official trainings and conferences in Turkey, Dubai & Hong Kong. Personal travel to Europe, South East Asia etc.
Post-MBA Goal: Pursue a long-term career in Marketing function, up to the C-suite level.

You sound good to go, wing it!
good luck! 8-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you for your reply! Do you think it is needed for me to get my GMAT score up? I looked at the range for all top schools and the lower range for all of them seems to be at 670-690. But maybe if my GMAT is as low as 690 I need a really strong resume to balance?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.73
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
karolinemalmberg wrote:
Thank you for your reply! Do you think it is needed for me to get my GMAT score up? I looked at the range for all top schools and the lower range for all of them seems to be at 670-690. But maybe if my GMAT is as low as 690 I need a really strong resume to balance?

You shouldn't aim for the bottom range. Yes, you need to increase your GMAT. It's one of the variables over which you have the most control at this point.
Your GPA is low (assuming your grading system is similar to the one in north america) and you can't change that unless you take additional courses in areas of weakness and show noticeable improvement in those areas.

Your resume needs to be strong regardless of your GMAT.

Take the test again, improve your score. You only have 1 shot at this, put all chances on your side.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing your profile.

Cultural diversity would be great to highlight. Playing up your leadership involvement in helping young women would also help. Sharing your passion for your industry and your work, while relating how an INSEAD MBA would fit with your motivations and experiences is also essential.

Your GMAT score is close to the average and is not a deal-breaker. However, scoring higher can only help.
Send PM
Expert Reply
You may also find the blog below helpful:

Should You Retake the GMAT?

Perhaps the most often-asked question during the entire MBA application process is,

“Should I retake the GMAT?”

The answer to this question will differ from case to case depending on an applicant’s score, their target schools, and their overall profile. If you are considering retaking the GMAT, doing a short cost-benefit analysis, similar to a business endeavor, can aid your decision-making:

1) Recognize the Investments Needed
Apart from the test-taking fee that you will incur for a retake, think about the hours you will need to put in to re-prepare for the GMAT, and whether this will affect the timeliness of your MBA applications. Make sure you consider whether or not you have the availability and the energy to put into this endeavor.

Often ignored, but just as important, factor in the opportunity cost of the hours you will need to spend preparing for your retake. Could you spend those efforts somewhere else to strengthen your profile? Maybe you could get involved in productive activities at work, volunteer in the community, or polish your essays.

If your application is already strong in these areas, then a GMAT retake could be a better use of your time. As such, engaging a test prep service may be the right way to go – taking a GMAT prep course or spending time with a private tutor will optimize the hours that you put into studying, and will be an investment that pays for itself in the long run.

2) Evaluate the Probability of Success
The next step would be to evaluate how likely you are to achieve your desired results. The most straightforward consideration (that requires a truly honest self-assessment) is how you have already performed on the GMAT relative to your potential:

Did you prepare well enough?
Did you get enough sleep the nights leading up to your exam?
Were the test day conditions conducive?
If you believe there’s a reasonable chance that you could have done better than you did, you should seriously think about a retake.

3) Weigh the Potential Benefits
Researching the class profile of your target program, and how you compare to the school’s average GMAT score, should give you an indication as to where you stand. The standardized nature of the GMAT allows for the most straightforward and objective comparison between applicants, so ideally, you will want to score higher on the GMAT than the school’s average.

All things equal, a higher score should improve your chance of admission, and even your opportunities for scholarships. Thus, the expected value of increasing your GMAT score could be high and really worth investing in.

Knowing that you didn’t leave too many potential GMAT points on the table can also simply help you be at peace. This is an important benefit, as it will allow you to focus on the next steps in the application process, and know that you have given the GMAT your best shot.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks for sharing.

Good job improving on the GMAT score, this helps address potential concerns about academic capabilities needed to handle a fast-paced program. It would greatly help sharing examples of complex responsibilities and accomplishments at work.

Your international exposure helps to some extent, but it would be even more helpful to share experience collaborating with cross-cultural teams or working with international counterparts.

Identifying specifics of how the INSEAD MBA program helps you is also essential.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
I am a Commissioned Officer serving in Indian Navy (Fifth largest Navy in the World) since 2010.

Indian / Male/ 30 Years

3 year Diploma in Textile Technology- 4.0 GPA

B Tech Textile Tech - 3.6 GPA/ Anna Univ, Chennai, India.

Work Ex.

Promoted twice in 7 years. Sub- Lieutenant to Lieutenant and to Lieutenant Commander.

7+ years Experience in Military and Naval operations, Navigating Warships, Public Administration, Project Management and HR Management.

International Experience:- Joint Exercises with Foreign Navies in South Africa, Kenya, Mozambique, Sir Lanka, Maldives ad Seychelles.

Performed as Team Leader in organising a Disaster Management and Relief Operations Exercises in Cape Town, South Africa.

6 months Diploma course in Fire Fighting, Nuclear, Chemical, Radiological and Biological Warfare.

Preparing for GMAT and targeting 700+

Extras.

Active United Nations Volunteer.
Regularly Deliver Guest Lectures as an alumnus to my Under Grad College.

Performing Operations Executive's role in my brother's emerging start-up for last one year.

Awarded Gold medals for Best Outgoing Student and standing first in overall order of merit in B Tech.

Held various positions including Student's Association Secretary, Fashion Show Organiser, Red Cross Volunteer, etc.

Will retire from Indian Navy in 2018 with 9 years of experience and looking forward to take MBA admission in 2019.

My target schools are:-

1. INSEAD
2. IMD
3. LBS
4. HBS
5. GSB Stanford
6. Rotman, UoT

Please evaluate my profile and share your thoughts in getting admitted into the above mentioned B Schools.

Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
I am a Commissioned Officer serving in Indian Navy (Fifth largest Navy in the World) since 2010.

Indian / Male/ 30 Years

3 year Diploma in Textile Technology- 4.0 GPA

B Tech Textile Tech - 3.6 GPA/ Anna Univ, Chennai, India.

Work Ex.

Promoted twice in 7 years. Sub- Lieutenant to Lieutenant and to Lieutenant Commander.

7+ years Experience in Military and Naval operations, Navigating Warships, Public Administration, Project Management and HR Management.

International Experience:- Joint Exercises with Foreign Navies in South Africa, Kenya, Mozambique, Sir Lanka, Maldives ad Seychelles.

Performed as Team Leader in organising a Disaster Management and Relief Operations Exercises in Cape Town, South Africa.

6 months Diploma course in Fire Fighting, Nuclear, Chemical, Radiological and Biological Warfare.

Preparing for GMAT and targeting 700+

Extras.

Active United Nations Volunteer.
Regularly Deliver Guest Lectures as an alumnus to my Under Grad College.

Performing Operations Executive's role in my brother's emerging start-up for last one year.

Awarded Gold medals for Best Outgoing Student and standing first in overall order of merit in B Tech.

Held various positions including Student's Association Secretary, Fashion Show Organiser, Red Cross Volunteer, etc.

Will retire from Indian Navy in 2018 with 9 years of experience and looking forward to take MBA admission in 2019.

My target schools are:-

1. INSEAD
2. IMD
3. LBS
4. HBS
5. GSB Stanford
6. Rotman, UoT

Please evaluate my profile and share your thoughts in getting admitted into the above mentioned B Schools.

GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  70   
Moderator:
MBA Admissions Consultant
3699 posts