It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 20:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2008, 09:56
Your feedback would be greatly appreciated

GMAT: 740 = 49Q (88%) 41V (92%), AWA = 5.5

GPA: Overall was 3.1 but I jumped around a lot in Fresh and Soph years - Junior and Senior years had multiple dean's lists as well as GPA of about 3.6-3.7 and my major GPA was 3.4 (Accounting) - I plan on including an essay clarifying this in my application

Undergrad: BSBA from top 15 school (US News)

Work Experience - 3 years at matriculation in public accounting. I work for a midsize to large public accounting firm in NYC with about 700 employees. I have already earned my CPA license and my supervisors have requested that I be promoted to senior level a year ahead of normal schedule which is very out of the ordinary. I have been given responsibilities that are beyond my position at the firm and I plan on having those highlighted in my essays as well as recommendations.

Leadership shown has definitely been strong on engagements and among peers.

I will have 2 very strong recommendations and could add a third from a peer who works with me everyday but is at the same level as me.

Extracurriculars - Somewhat weak in my opinion here, mostly due to the fact that my 3 years I have been mostly studying for CPA exams and GMAT. In college I was deeply involved in the Special Olympics in St. Louis, also was a member of fraternity and played intramural sports as well as one year of club sport. I also now play in a NYC organized volleyball league for professionals.

Reason for MBA: I have realized that a career in public accounting is not for me. I would like to make a switch to financial services, particularly investment management. I am confident in my potential based on my leadership abilities, diligence, and work ethic and hope to express this in my essays and hopefully interviews.

I plan on applying to: Columbia (early decision), Stern, Chicago GSB, Yale, Cornell, and Wharton (reach)

How do you feel about my choices and overall chances?

Thanks

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 74

Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 11:38
gorilla19,

Pretty good profile. Hopefully your involvement in Special Olympics in college was *really* strong so they'll see that it's really just been your career requirements that have kept you from being more involved recently. You will also hopefully also be able to explain why you pursued the CPA if you realized accounting was not for you. That is, explain what happened since earning the CPA and the present to show you accounting was not for you.

Given your post-MBA goals your school choices make sense, though I might add Rochester to the list as a backup. Chicago and Wharton may be a bit on the long-shot side but the rest look eminently doable. Good that you are applying to Columbia ED since that is also somewhat long-shottish for you.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Sep 2008, 14:28
Thanks for the reply.

As far as explaining "why" i got the cpa if i knew acct wasnt for me...

I tried to convey the fact that I wasnt really sure what I wanted to do in the first place, and based on my major, decided to stick with accounting to start. I am the kind of person who does something for a reason, so I said if I was going to pursue accounting for at least the start of my career, I would make the most out of it and get my CPA in the process. I briefly mention why I feel acct is not for me in each of my essays - but i dont really have that defining moment where i suddenly realize i need to leave acct and go to finance. it was more of something that was in the back of my mind all along and my experience in acct confirmed these thoughts.

is this ok?

Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2008, 21:16
gorilla19,

Yes, that works for me. No need to have a defining moment. Just be straight with them. The "I wanted to give it my best" works I think.

Linda Abraham
Accepted ~ The Premier Admissions Consultancy
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog

Re: Profile Evaluation Please   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2008, 21:16

Profile Evaluation Please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap