It is currently 22 Nov 2017, 03:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 143 [0], given: 0

Profile evaluation please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2009, 10:31
Hi Paul,

Can you please evaluate my profile. I am currently in the process of finalizing the right colleges for applying to Fall'2010 MBA class.

About me:
25/Male/Indian

Educational Info:
GMAT:690 (Q:49 V:35)
Undergrad GPA: 3.72 (3rd ranked in Freshman year out of 600 students; Department Rank 15th at graduation)
12th: 85%
10th: 81.6%

Work Experience:

I am working as Assistant systems Engineer in a leading Indian IT company and will have an experience of 4 years by the time I join B-school. I am currently leading a team of 3 people in a Financial domain project (Lloyds Bank). My experience includes an international exposure of almost 1.5 years in UK, working for Lloyds again. Although my profile is very common, I have done executed some critical IT projects for the bank at onsite as Live Project Implementation manager, benefitting millions of customers and leading to over $100 million in profits for the Bank. I am hoping to leverage this aspect of my profile. Do you think it will help??

EC:

College:-
Led college team to many inter-college cricket tournaments, Organized a Technical Competition in Inter-College Fest, secretary of Literary and Debating club in college, judged many singing competitions as a member of Music and Fine Arts club, organized blood donation camps and volunteered for Earth Conservation March.

Post College:-
Organize adventure trips for project team members, a district-level tennis player, captained winning team in Lloyds Football Championship at onsite, member of Lloyds Smile Group etc.

Schools List:-

Belonging to a Family of Chartered Accountants and considering my professional background in Financial domain projects , I am looking to pursue MBA in Finance / Operations(Banking) and hope to become a Project manager in Global Financial Services Firms such as Goldman Sachs, JP Morgan Chase etc.

I have selected the following list of colleges to apply:-

University of Notre Dame ( Mendoza)
Minnesota Twin Cities (Carlson)
University of Maryland (Smith)
Texas A&M University (Mays)
Georgia Institute of Technology
University of Texas Austin (McCombs)
University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill (Kenan-Flagler)
University of Washington (Foster)
Boston University
University of Florida (Hough)

Can you please help me shortlist best 6 colleges out of these, including 4 safe and 2 dream colleges. I know some of them will reject me outright due to my common profile :(.

Thanks a lot. I hope I have not bored you with my essay :).

Vineet Gupta

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2009, 11:13
Vineet,

Yes, you should emphasize anything that shows unusual impact at work, anything that shows the ability to manage people, and anything that shows that your career pace is fast track or atypical. I think you should use your family's accounting background and your finance work experience to present yourself as an applicant who does not fit into the "male Indian IT" bucket. It would be great if there were some team leadership in one of your current extracurriculars.

The two toughest schools on your list for you will be UNC and Texas Austin. Neither is impossible, but both are unlikely IMO. The safest schools on your list are probably GIT, Texas A&M, and Florida Hough. So if you can only apply to six schools you might pick one school from UNC or Texas Austin, 2 schools from GIT, Texas A&M, and Florida, and choose 3 schools from Notre Dame, Maryland, Washington, Boston, and Minnesota. Of these 5 "competitive" schools, your odds are probably best at Maryland and Minnesota.

Good luck,

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2009, 09:28
Thanks for the advice Paul. Also, I have heard that Georgia Tech and Maryland do not take many Indians. So, do you think my IT Finance profile will appeal to them?

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Show Tags

New post 20 Jul 2009, 18:41
Vineet,

Well, if it were true that they don't take many Indians (and I don't know that it is), then the fact that you come from a less-typical industry wouldn't help you that much since you'd still be classified as Indian. But generally speaking anything that separates you from the straight "male Indian IT consultant" group improves your odds, everything else being equal.

Re: Profile evaluation please   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2009, 18:41

Profile evaluation please

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap