It is currently 18 Feb 2018, 01:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation please

new topic post reply Update application status  
Manager
Manager
Profile evaluation please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2009, 18:59
Gday,

Profile:
29 yr old Indian New Zealander

low GPA (overall C/C+) - Did not Sits & at least 8 Fail grades.
Was doing four year degree on Advanced Maths - finished with Stats degree from reputable university and a further graduate qualification involving postgrad papers focused on Organisation Mgmt (did better in this area)

First attempt GMAT 680 (Q42, V41)
High GMAT 760 (Q49, V44) - one month later.

Strong career - - worked in recruitment in New Zealand for a year. 3 years in Japan finishing as a Manager of a high revenue generating team of reputed recruitment MNC. Moved to KL, Malaysia to help another MNC start up - Director of the Division. 6 mths. And then 6 mths managing a boutique in Sydney, Australia.

Extras: Started a consulting club in University - which has become a highly reputed force at the uni. Won reality TV show (fear factor). On production site, due to site mgmt error, caught on fire - 12% 3rd degree burns - in hospital for a month. Ambassador for burns unit. Rep sports player. My application pitch is to move into Human Capital Management which is in line with recruitment. Also the capacity to help assist students with their career applications.

Explanation for low GPA is the accident and subsequent after effects.

I have applied to MBS & AGSM (visited both schools, met staff). I also need a scholarship to do my MBA.

First your thoughts on being accepted into the two course?

Your thoughts on potential for scholarship?

Your thoughts on top 10 schools (Wharton) and others such as HAAS, NYU?

How closely do Admissions staff look at explanation for weakness applications (GPA) - do they check dates - match up the reasons - or with a strong application - is a certain legitimate explanation enough?

Any suggestions - tips?

Your advice is appreciated.

-talent is the desire to practice-

MBA Admissions Consultant
Re: Profile evaluation please [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Aug 2009, 09:03
With your undergrad grades, you'll have to address it in the optional essays - not much free advice I can give you other than to keep it simple, and don't over-explain (it's like coming home much later than scheduled and your girlfriend is waiting on you... the more you explain, the more excuses you make, the deeper the hole you dig).

As for scholarships, I don't know. You shouldn't be expecting to get a free ride for a degree program that is supposed to make you a lot of money (at least comparatively to other graduate programs). Treat the scholarship as a bonus, a gift - not an expectation.

In terms of top schools, you're probably more competitive for schools in the bottom half of the top 16 - schools like Michigan, Darden, Duke, Haas, NYU, etc. Schools like Columbia, Wharton, HBS, Chicago, etc. are going to be a stretch (if not a long shot, depending on how well you come across in your applications and in your interviews).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com

Re: Profile evaluation please   [#permalink] 09 Aug 2009, 09:03

Profile evaluation please

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap