Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [1]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Please (Thank you for your time) [#permalink]
ChicagoMBAhopeful wrote:
I think one of the most important factors in evaluating my profile is to understand that I am only 21 years old, and will be graduating from my undergraduate program in May 2011. That being said here is my profile:

Sex:M
GMAT Score: Will take in June; however, low-mid 700's on practices
GPA: 4.0/4.0
Undergraduate program: University of Arizona, Eller Business School of Management. I will be graduating in 2011 with dual honors, dual thesis in Finance and Entrepreneurship (Entrepreneurship program is in top 5 in nation). Also minor in Spanish
Work Experience: 1 year with a private equity firm while going to school. This is not an internship-I can obtain a letter of recommendation from any of the executives stating I have added value to the firm. I will have almost 2 years of experience at time of graduation.
Extracurriculars: Numerous honoraries, community service projects, scholastic clubs, awards, etc.

I understand that it is very difficult to apply to top MBA programs with minimal work experience so I plan on applying only to my top two choices (Kellogg and Booth) out of college, and if not accepted I will continue to work and reapply in subsequent years. I can obtain letters of recommendation from all department heads at my college, as well as influential business professionals in the Arizona region. Additionally I can obtain letters of rec from some local alumni of Northwestern and University of Chicago.

Another thing that I think is important is that I am highly considering getting a JD/MBA. That being said my ultimate top choice would be the JD/MBA program at Northwestern. I am currently studying for both the LSAT and GMAT (painful, i know :-D )

My career goals: investment banking, private equity firms, M&A

Do you think that I even stand a chance at Kellogg or Booth? Seeing as I haven't actually taken the GMATs or LSATs yet, what do you think are the scores I should be shooting for to really enhance my chances.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration as any and all of your help is greatly appreciated.

have you done your due diligence on the JD/MBA? from the limited amount i've read about it, it's not all that useful in most situations, and it takes a really specific career path to reap any sort of benefit from it.

also, keep in mind that the kellogg JD-MBA program only requires the GMAT, not the GMAT and LSAT (i believe this program requirement is unique to kellogg, however). also, this is a highly fast paced degree, giving you both degrees in 3 years instead of 5.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have done some research on the JD/MBA program offered by Northwestern but I am still going to take both the LSAT and GMAT for University of Chicago (they require you to apply to both their law school and business school if you want to get a JD/MBA). As far as whether or not a JD will be useful in my career you are probably absolutely right but a few people have told me that having dual degrees like that will often put you ahead of your competitors while looking for jobs. Also, I am one of those weird sadistic people who wants to torture himself through graduate school for that extra bit of knowledge :-D . The JD aspect is still semi uncertain though--the MBA is my real goal. Thank you for the input!
GMAT Club Bot