It is currently 19 Oct 2017, 22:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 07:30
Hi,
I am 29 yr old and currently serving in the Indian Army as a Major with 07 years of Infantry experience. I secured a GMAT score of 660 and have completed my B.Tech in Information Technology with a 8.0/10 GPA. I want to know what are my chances of getting in the top B Schools of USA,namely, Harvard, Stanford, Tuck and Kellogg and what jobs I am most suitable for.
Thanking you in anticipation. :-)

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 37

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 09:26
tanmayb1 wrote:
Hi,
Hi tanmayb1, thanks for your question- I don't have too much to go on here.... but let me give you my comments below.
I am 29 yr old and currently serving in the Indian Army as a Major with 07 years of Infantry experience. I secured a GMAT score of 660 and have completed my B.Tech in Information Technology with a 8.0/10 GPA. I want to know what are my chances of getting in the top B Schools of USA,namely, Harvard, Stanford, Tuck and Kellogg and what jobs I am most suitable for. So one of the things about this "anonymous" advice thing is that you want to always be hopeful and give people tips to improve- but you also want to be honest even though it might be disappointing to hear... So it is a spirit of a coaching embrace that I tell you something that you probably don't want to hear. Someone who is 29 yrs old (nearing the "expiration" date for prime time Full time MBA programs- but not AT) but who ALSO has Indian Army experience (which actually is a bit of a differentiatior in this pool but I don't think enough to overcome GMAT unless there is more I don't know about this work) but with a 660 GMAT this profile would have a difficult time getting into UNC Kenan-Flagler, Kelley, Owen, Fuqua, UVA...let alone H/S/W and Kellogg and Tuck. That 660 is just way off the avg for these schools and if they were going to dig deep into the GMAT pile to pluck you out, they would need something AMAZING to offset that hit they are taking. I don't see the 7 yrs of military as "that something amazing" that could get you that lifeline. Your grades, while good, won't move that meter either. Now if you have started a very successful enterprise or done some substantial community service that I don't see- or if you have a relative who has donated a building or has a program named after them.... then maybe one of these things could help move that meter for you. I never want to say "never" because 1) I don't know all the facts and 2) people are always capable of amazing things and I never want to be the one to say they can't.... but what I am saying here is that the odds are not in your historical favor to get into H/S/W or any top 10 program from India on a 660 GMAT. Doesn't mean it has not happened and won't happen again, just that you should know the odds are low in an already low game, and that you need to think about what you can showcase that really STANDS OUT - it may be a deep passion to a mission- and you tug at the heartstrings of GSB in your "what matters most" essay- or it is impressive commitment and military service-
so I'm not saying you don't have it... but you better start looking for something amazing if you want H/S/W, Kellogg,
Tuck or any other M7. Right now from this little bit I don't see it- but that doesn't mean it is not there. And my other tip... keep taking the GMAT and try to get a higher score- and if that does not work also consider the GRE if you really want to give your best shot to M7 programs. If you want personalized help, reach out for a free consult at : https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/

Thanking you in anticipation. :-)

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Intern
Intern

Re: Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 10:41
Thank you so much for the honest opinion, it was much desired than a sugar coated one. I will be working hard to improve my GMAT score.
Two more queries-
In the school hunt can I safely look for MBA options in Australia with the current score and profile, esp Melbourne Business School or any other top B school of Australia?

Secondly, while writing my essay should I mention that as an officer I have led my troops in combat and many other ops successfully without any casualty. And also that I have done numerous courses in the Army with excellent grading and currently posted as an instructor in top school of instruction of Army.

Thank You

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Re: Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2017, 12:53
tanmayb1 wrote:
Thank you so much for the honest opinion, it was much desired than a sugar coated one. I will be working hard to improve my GMAT score.
Two more queries-
In the school hunt can I safely look for MBA options in Australia with the current score and profile, esp Melbourne Business School or any other top B school of Australia?yes- I do think you can look with the scores and profile you have now.

Secondly, while writing my essay should I mention that as an officer I have led my troops in combat and many other ops successfully without any casualty. And also that I have done numerous courses in the Army with excellent grading and currently posted as an instructor in top school of instruction of Army. And yes- anytime you can give specific details about how you did your job well- not a description- but real results- and keeping people alive is a great result in my book! So yes- focus on the leadership that you learned from this and it will help you stand out!

Thank You

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Re: Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp   [#permalink] 19 Sep 2017, 12:53

Profile evaluation pls - Male,Indian,B.Tech,07 years Army Exp

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap