It is currently 18 Aug 2017, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 15

GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2017, 00:06
Hello Expert,

GMAT - 710( QA 49 VA 36 IR - 7/8 AWA 6/6 )

Ethnicity- Indian
Male , 25 years old
Btech (Mechanical) - 2013 - 69% [ Under grad]
12th - 2009 -87%
10th (ICSE) - 2007 - 75%

Work Experience - 43 months as on Date will reach 48 months by August ( At the time of applying will have around 49-50 months work experience)

I am currently working as a business development executive at a startup and have worked with a government agency to design some training programs for their employees to effectively use social media for better E-Governance and have worked on building an android application along with successful launching of a online platform designed for certain companies. ( working for about 2 years here).Working alongside here , My father owns an advertising agency in which i play a role too because it is a family business and i need to look after when he is away and have helped create logos for the Government of Telangana. I am from Hyderabad , India and Telangana is the State. So i do not know how to leverage this work because in my own personal opinion I think it is great to have worked on a few government projects and design logos for it. The logo is evident on their websites and posters and all over the city . So i think i can give me some edge but any opinion regarding this will be considered. Prior to this i worked with Google for a year via a third party. I worked there as a business analyst.

EC

Sports - Swimming, basket ball , kabbadi , table tennis and badminton , Boxing .
Won the 1st Place in basketball at College (team event) .
Participated in multiple university and state level competitions . (table tennis)
Participated in a national level debate and Adjourned best speaker in a debate at a college level event.
Winner of an Extempore at a national level technical fest
Participated in multiple public speaking events and debates
The president of a Student Body in college for 2 years until the end of graduation undertaking lot of responsibilities and conducting multiple events
Organiser of the Sports Fest for 3 years along with a team under me and successfully organised multiple events. Along with Organizing as a sports player had to participate thus managing both organizing and playing.

I was the anchor for the Annual Day for 2 years and conducted the event in a splendid fashion
Class representative and event organiser for the college Fest for 4 years
Musical instruments learned - Keyboard , Guitar
Performed in the annual day and formed an own band during the college days and participated in college events.
learnt Classical singing for over 11 years and still learning
An active member of NSS during college and couple with the other activities i had , went on to form events to distribute food , books , clothes to the needy and have taught maths and physics to the needy .
Associated with an NGO as well , hope this help in application process

Academic Projects and Achievements

Always in the reckoning of the class - top 5%
95th percentile in CAT ( Management Exam in India) a neccesity to get in the reputed IIM’s ( Indian Institute of Management) and 90th percentile in XAT ( Management Exam for XLRI - Xavier School of Management)
Multiple projects in Robotics and designed various prototypes using basic principles of robotics and have done an internship in a PSU regarding steam engines

Final project in College related to Robotics – 6 degree Stewart Gough Platform
I have been to multiple industries such as steel pant , iron ore plant and a couple of thermodynamic industries to see the functioning of machines and an automobile industry as well to see the understanding of manufacture of components.
Softwares learned - CAD/CAM , Catia , Solid Works , Pro-E , Ansys (taught during academic rigour ) along with the normal C , C++ , Blue Java , MS office etc.

Q) Do you have a specific Company to work for? - I do not have a specific company to work for. My areas of interest are marketing and consulting . Of course every aspirant desires to be in the best of the best companies. Rather than working for a company would love to have company of my own down the line

Q) what do i want from my MBA? - I want my MBA to provide the knowledge n specific skills to run a business. It comes with experience i am sure but an MBA adds value and can make one think better in terms of the business. I would like to start a company of my own. My father has his own business and i want to diversify its services . A marketing related MBA would help me to make my company more reachable to cater to the needs of clients. At this stage my answer isn't clear and might be vague but i still haven't put a thought to it . Mostly like i wish MBA helps me better to run a business

Q) Mba full time/part time - I would want to do an MBA full time (2/1 year is fine) . I turned 25 last week so at the moment thinking i could use 2 years for an MBA unless a one year MBA suits me more. I am willing to relocate and looking for schools in India , US , UK , Singapore

Areas of Interest - Marketing / Consulting
Dream School – Kellog (Marketing)

What schools would you suggest to apply to based on this Profile assuming i still score a 710 in my retake. Targeting R1 this year , want to join a school in 2018 .

Other schools on my mind - Yale , Oxford , NUS , NTU , ISB . Also do i stand a chance at Harvard/ Stanford / Haas ( the elite ) if not what can i do to solidify my application for applying to these schools. I would like to apply to 6 schools One in India (ISB) , 3 In the United States , 1 in UK , 1 in Singapore , i haven't given much of a thought but any advice here would help

Target Score for Retake - 740 (QA 50 VA 40) , owing to my poor academics , i thought of giving the exam another shot and I represent a demography of very high scores

Regards,
HK

P.S - sorry for keeping it long , i might have missed out anything , feel free to ask something if it is missing

2 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 462 [2] , given: 3

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
For the schools on your list, even Kellogg, I would retake the GMAT. 740 would be a good score for you. Your work experience is OK and your involvement is pretty good. The big challenges I see at the moment are your goals and your story. A big portion of your application is articulating your vision and pulling together an argument that you're ready to execute your plan to achieve that vision. If you're unclear in your vision, the AdComm will just assume that you're not ready.

You need to find a way to articulate what you want to do. The level of specificity will vary from applicant to applicant, but the more concrete your goals are, the better your application will be. HBS and GSB are stretch programs, and while Haas and Kellogg are reach as well, I could see an argument for applying to these schools in R1 later this year.

Take a look at our thoughts on how to approach your story and the essay writing process. Let us know if you'd like to chat about how we can help. Best of luck!

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let us know!

Kudos [?]: 462 [2] , given: 3

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2017, 13:46
CriticalSquare wrote:
For the schools on your list, even Kellogg, I would retake the GMAT. 740 would be a good score for you. Your work experience is OK and your involvement is pretty good. The big challenges I see at the moment are your goals and your story. A big portion of your application is articulating your vision and pulling together an argument that you're ready to execute your plan to achieve that vision. If you're unclear in your vision, the AdComm will just assume that you're not ready.

You need to find a way to articulate what you want to do. The level of specificity will vary from applicant to applicant, but the more concrete your goals are, the better your application will be. HBS and GSB are stretch programs, and while Haas and Kellogg are reach as well, I could see an argument for applying to these schools in R1 later this year.

Take a look at our thoughts on how to approach your story and the essay writing process. Let us know if you'd like to chat about how we can help. Best of luck!

Hi ,
Thank you for the much needed response :) . I am targetting schools in R1 and i do not have an idea as to how to narrow down to the specific set of schools , any help? I am from India , so i am in a fix as to wether to the apply to schools in the US , because of the trump issue , but putting that aside , as i have mentioned 3 US progarms , 1 UK , 1 Singapore , 1 India , 6 schools is what i am looking at

At the moment , i am investing my time and effort to reach a 740+

Regards,
Hk

1 KUDOS received
B

Kudos [?]: 462 [1] , given: 3

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

Glad our guidance has been useful to you. I just want to reiterate the importance of honing in on what you want to do after business school. Different schools are better for different disciplines and different career paths (e.g. finance vs. marketing vs. entrepreneurship). Further, geographically speaking, your preference in where you'd like to work plays a role as well.

Kudos [?]: 462 [1] , given: 3

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2017, 13:50
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hi there,

Glad our guidance has been useful to you. I just want to reiterate the importance of honing in on what you want to do after business school. Different schools are better for different disciplines and different career paths (e.g. finance vs. marketing vs. entrepreneurship). Further, geographically speaking, your preference in where you'd like to work plays a role as well.

Hello ,
I am interested in Marketing and would love to apply to schools , strong in the field of marketing across the globe . I am open to work anywhere in the above mentioned geographic locations , willing to relocate.

Regards,
Hk

Last edited by Hatakekakashi on 19 Mar 2017, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

B

Kudos [?]: 462 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 07:46
With generic goals like that it's hard to help! First thing I'd do is hone in and specify what type of marketing role you want: brand management, product management, marketing strategy, or something else entirely? If you're geographically indifferent, this doesn't tell the AdComm much of anything. Start thinking about your preferences and prioritize your options. This is an important skill that AdComms expect out of their top applicants. Generic goals and broad statements won't do you any favors here. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Manager
Manager
S

Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2017, 14:00
CriticalSquare wrote:
With generic goals like that it's hard to help! First thing I'd do is hone in and specify what type of marketing role you want: brand management, product management, marketing strategy, or something else entirely? If you're geographically indifferent, this doesn't tell the AdComm much of anything. Start thinking about your preferences and prioritize your options. This is an important skill that AdComms expect out of their top applicants. Generic goals and broad statements won't do you any favors here. Hope this helps and best of luck!

Hello,
Thanks a lot for your response , will make a note of that and think from that perspective and as of now haven't narrowed down the specific area of marketing but would more likely work in the area of product management , but will think of it.

Regards,
HK

B

Show Tags

New post 25 Mar 2017, 05:06
Great - glad we could help! Best of luck!

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2017, 05:06