It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 05:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.45
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Mar 2017, 11:16
Hi - thanks in advance for the help in assessing my chances for FT MBA.

Demographic profile - white male from the Northeast, currently living in Virginia. Applying for fall of 2018 at which point I will have 60 months work experience.

GMAT - 720 (48Q 41V 5IR). Second time taken.

Undergrad - 3.44 (cum laude) from Bentley University with a BS in Economics-Finance. Involved on campus as Resident Assistant, Ambassador (Tour Guide), and Judicial Board, along with attending a few conferences (i.e. Business Ethics Conference west Point).

Work Experience - Internship experience at a VC-backed mobile app tech startup for one summer (along with intermittently working for them throughout undergrad) and then Bloomberg the following summer. Upon graduation, went into a finance leadership rotational program at one of the big A&D companies, rotating through Boston and then LA. Did four different six month roles across program finance, FP&A and Internal Audit, including one stint with an acquisition made in 2012. Moved to Virginia upon finishing the program to build out FP&A function for a cyber defense acquisition - largest acquisition for the company since 2010 (made in late 2014). Promoted after 9 months, and then put up for another promotion last month but denied due to years experience (received large salary bump in lieu). Oversee two analysts, although they do not technically report to me due to HR restrictions around salary grades. Involved with a number of projects outside of scope of job, including a company wide initiative around career development. Expecting to receive notification as finalist for CEO award within next couple weeks. Have a fair amount of experience mentoring (and reverse-mentoring).

Other involvement - community service experience post-undergrad lacking - worried to start now as I don't want it to look disingenuous. Play in both ice hockey and softball leagues in the area. Gone on international trips once a year since college.

Career aspirations - Still thinking through (although will obviously have a concrete answer for admissions). Would like to get involved with early stage companies in some capacity, possibly on CFO track. Also interested in consulting and then making the switch to that.

Recommendations - Assumed to be strong. Boss and above are aware and supportive of my FT aspirations. Top performance rating past two years. Company has also offered to pay in full for PT or Exec.

Target schools - Wharton and Booth (assumed stretches), Tuck, Fuqua, Yale SOM, Darden, Ross, Johnson. Planning to visit a few in April and sit in on classes to help with essays in the fall. Planning to apply R1.

Any insight into how competitive I may be at these schools would be much appreciated.

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Mar 2017, 12:48
Hi - thanks for writing and sharing your background! Regarding your candidacy, it sounds like you have some strong and progressive work experience and the backing of your supervisors, which is great. Your GMAT is solid, although an above-average score wouldn't hurt for Wharton/Booth given how competitive they are. The other schools should be within your range, as long as you make a case for why they're a fit and highlight your best stories in your essays (and of course, be clear about your short and long-term career aspirations).

Regarding extracurricular involvement - community service isn't an absolute requirement. It's good that you're involved in ice hockey and softball leagues - is there an opportunity for you to take on any leadership roles within these leagues? AdComs would view this favorably. Also, since you still have about 6 months left until R1 apps are due, I don't think it's too late to start community involvement if that's something that you're genuinely interested in. It would especially make sense if you resumed an involvement that you had in college (for example, if you tutored schoolchildren in college and started doing that again).

Hope that this helps! Let me know of any more questions. And for a more in-depth discussion, I definitely recommend signing up for a free consultation here: https://www.mbamission.com/consult/?dis ... admissions

Patrickjmcna wrote:
Hi - thanks in advance for the help in assessing my chances for FT MBA.

Demographic profile - white male from the Northeast, currently living in Virginia. Applying for fall of 2018 at which point I will have 60 months work experience.

GMAT - 720 (48Q 41V 5IR). Second time taken.

Undergrad - 3.44 (cum laude) from Bentley University with a BS in Economics-Finance. Involved on campus as Resident Assistant, Ambassador (Tour Guide), and Judicial Board, along with attending a few conferences (i.e. Business Ethics Conference west Point).

Work Experience - Internship experience at a VC-backed mobile app tech startup for one summer (along with intermittently working for them throughout undergrad) and then Bloomberg the following summer. Upon graduation, went into a finance leadership rotational program at one of the big A&D companies, rotating through Boston and then LA. Did four different six month roles across program finance, FP&A and Internal Audit, including one stint with an acquisition made in 2012. Moved to Virginia upon finishing the program to build out FP&A function for a cyber defense acquisition - largest acquisition for the company since 2010 (made in late 2014). Promoted after 9 months, and then put up for another promotion last month but denied due to years experience (received large salary bump in lieu). Oversee two analysts, although they do not technically report to me due to HR restrictions around salary grades. Involved with a number of projects outside of scope of job, including a company wide initiative around career development. Expecting to receive notification as finalist for CEO award within next couple weeks. Have a fair amount of experience mentoring (and reverse-mentoring).

Other involvement - community service experience post-undergrad lacking - worried to start now as I don't want it to look disingenuous. Play in both ice hockey and softball leagues in the area. Gone on international trips once a year since college.

Career aspirations - Still thinking through (although will obviously have a concrete answer for admissions). Would like to get involved with early stage companies in some capacity, possibly on CFO track. Also interested in consulting and then making the switch to that.

Recommendations - Assumed to be strong. Boss and above are aware and supportive of my FT aspirations. Top performance rating past two years. Company has also offered to pay in full for PT or Exec.

Target schools - Wharton and Booth (assumed stretches), Tuck, Fuqua, Yale SOM, Darden, Ross, Johnson. Planning to visit a few in April and sit in on classes to help with essays in the fall. Planning to apply R1.

Any insight into how competitive I may be at these schools would be much appreciated.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant

Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: http://www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap