It is currently 17 Aug 2017, 19:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Schools: Anderson '19
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 09:17
Hey guys I would like to request my profile evaluation and guidance on which school to apply based on my profile:

27 year old
Hispanic (latina), originally from Colombia, but work in Panama
Work experience= 7 years
Bachelors Degree= Engineering, Industrial Management
GPA=2.3/3.0
Current Industry= Consumer food packaged goods

Experience in project management, new product development and supply chain in a consumer packaged goods company that produces, comercialize and distribute four leading brands of coffee, spaghetti, cookies and cracker products in Panama.
I would like to pursue and MBA to change career to Marketing because I have become passionate about consumer insights and market research!
Volunteer experience= Startup Weekend Central america fundraiser and event coordinator (6 months).
I haven´t take GMAT yet, but I was wondering if there´s any chance I can ask for GMAT waiver taking into consideration my bachelors degree and work experience.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions.

Thank you in advance,
Lorena

SVP
SVP
B
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2017, 10:01
Lorena,
The GMAT is a critical component for most full-time MBA programs, but some schools will waive the GMAT. Babson and Texas A&M are examples of reputable programs that will waive the GMAT given certain work experience or GPA requirements. It looks like your GPA may be around a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale so that may be a concern for some schools. In general, beware of business schools that tell you a GMAT score doesn't matter; they may admit almost everyone who applies and the value of the degree may be suspect.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.admitify.com/testimonials

lorena08 wrote:
Hey guys I would like to request my profile evaluation and guidance on which school to apply based on my profile:

27 year old
Work experience= 7 years
Bachelors Degree= Engineering, Industrial Management
GPA=2.3/3.0
Current Industry= Consumer food packaged goods

Experience in project management, new product development and supply chain in a consumer packaged goods company that produces, comercialize and distribute four leading brands of coffee, spaghetti, cookies and cracker products in Panama.
I would like to pursue and MBA to change career to Marketing because I have become passionate about consumer insights and market research!
Volunteer experience= Startup Weekend Central america fundraiser and event coordinator (6 months).
I haven´t take GMAT yet, but I was wondering if there´s any chance I can ask for GMAT waiver taking into consideration my bachelors degree and work experience.

Thank you in advance,
Lorena

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 Mar 2017, 22:53
lorena08 wrote:

27 year old

<<snip>>

Thank you in advance,
Lorena

A few more reflections on the profile Lorena:
  1. The nature of your work sounds interesting. Are you associated with an international firm or a local one? That can dictate your overall prospects to some extent especially if you are seeking a Marketing role where most fmcg firms prefer local candidates. You will also have to make a pitch on transferable skills to justify the transition.
  2. The GMAT waiver is very rare for top/good MBA programs and in general, not a good strategy for you as a candidate. Even if you get it, you will most likely restrict the number of choices you have and hence not recommended.
  3. For reasons mentioned here, we do not speculate on school selection. That said, with the right GMAT and your overall profile, things should be pretty interesting for you in the journey ahead.

Cheers,

MG (Manish Gupta)|The MBA Crystal Ball Team

Email: mcb at mbacrystalball dot com

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 05:50
Hi @lorena08 it's frankly not possible to do a profile evaluation without the statistics part, but apart from that I'm pretty optimistic.

I will say that I'm not completely familiar with the grades schedule for Panama or Columbia. And you would probably want to have WES.org translate the grades. It's a couple of dollars but well worth it.

When my client from Paraguay (admitted to Stanford today) had his grades in front of him he was quite worried until he got the feedback from Wes....that he submitted with his applications to show his grades were in fact much higher than calculating them based on a u.s. scale.

As for the idea of a GMAT waiver, I would just put that to the side entirely. If you want a solid career in marketing, I don't really think that's you're going to want to apply to some of the programs that consider GMAT waivers.

It really sounds to me as though you need to put a lot of emphasis on getting into Kellogg. It's basically the gold standard for CPG. One of my colleagues from my MBA program works at Kraft and they go to Kellogg and if they don't find anyone there they go to Nielsen.

I'm not sure I completely follow you as far as switching your career, if you are in new product development then it seems you are already? you would start with focus groups and qualitative research before developing that product.

At any rate if you're interested marketing I would probably look closely at Kellogg Wharton and NYU possibly Anderson.

You have a lot of work experience and that's excellent, also youre female from an under-represented country and so those things will swing to your favor.

I would consider both the GMAT and maybe even the GRE,. If test taking is not your Forte, if you're a diverse applicant that brings a lot to the table than GRE might not be a bad idea because often it's unpublished and schools rankings will not be hurt by taking on a candidate with lower numbers if the stat is unpublished.

However I would really consider that as a plan B and if you can do well on the GMAT that would add a lot to your profile.

Definitely continue with the nonprofit experience, to something that aligns with your profile not out of the blue but take up something that you've done in the past or is closer related and keep going at that.

I really enjoy working with South American applicants and would encourage you take advantage of my consultation.

http://MBAPrepCoach.COM

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 167 [0], given: 69

Intern
Intern
B

Schools: Anderson '19

Show Tags

New post 30 Mar 2017, 07:19
Thank you everyone for your answers. Just to let you know I decided to study hard for GMAT and apply as son as I can so I can advance in my career! Your answers really motivated me to move forward!! Let you know in case I have other questions.

Thank you,
Lorena

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
S

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2017, 19:21
Great decision to go for the GMAT, your GPA could be a potential problem so its best to get ahead of it like you are trying to do.

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Kudos [?]: 219 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 10 Apr 2017, 19:21