It is currently 13 Dec 2017, 16:51

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Ross R1 | Kellogg R1 | Darden R1 | Tepper R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 31

GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.5
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 08:10
Hello

I just finished with my GMAT, and got a disappointing 690 (V38, Q47). I am not sure if I should retake it and try to boost my score to the 720-730 region. I'm including some details about my profile that might help you evaluate it. Let me know if you need additional information.

Demographic: Indian, Male

GMAT: 690 (V38, Q47)

Undergrad: Electronics Engineering from Univ of Pune
Undergrad GPA: Approx. 3.5 (graduated with a first class, my maths scores weren't great though)

Grad School: MS Information Science and Tech, University of Missouri, Rolla (I did take a grad level stats class and received an A, I'm hoping that it might even out my poor undergrad maths scores)
Grad GPA: 4.0

Total work ex: 8+ years (will be over 9 years by the time I start the MBA in 2018)
Current Job : Principal Technology Consultant at a small tech consulting firm (have progressed from a Consultant, to a Senior Consultant to a Principal in 4.5 years with the company). Responsible for managing and delivering projects, solutions and providing L3 support for one of the world's largest beauty/cosmetics products company. I'm also responsible for identifying inefficiencies in processes and suggesting, prototyping and delivering technological solutions for a client in the consumer goods domain. Have managed and delivered impactful multi-million dollar projects, and projects that have improved efficiencies and reduced risk and liability across 100's of retails stores across the US and Canada. I also manage the offshore solutions engineering team and am currently involved in building a new Center of Excellence for my employer that will focus on new and upcoming technologies for the company to expand their business into (I suppose this can be considered a strategic initiative).

Previous Jobs:
Technology Consultant/Business Analyst focusing on clients in the agriculture industry/chemicals industry: 3 years
HR Associate (before going to grad school): 18 months

Extra curricular activities:
Travel Program Manager for local soccer club where I'm responsible for managing the club's travel program (10+ teams for children ages 8 to 14) with respect to budgets, sponsorship, marketing and schedules
Founder of the official USA fan club of one of the largest international soccer clubs and manage communications and meetups with the club's North America based fans whenever the team travels to the US for matches.

Volunteer Activities:
Volunteer with a local animal shelter and soup kitchen
Teaching primary school children computer usage and programming basics via skype
Involved with Children International to help underpriviledged children in India with a focus on education and health.

Short term goals: Transition from tech consulting to a startup / Entrepreneurial role
Long term: Start my own company delivering tech solutions to large enterprises

The few school's I'm currently considering applying to:
Columbia
Cornell-Johnson (both the 1 and 2 year programs)
Yale
NYU-Stern
Duke
Kenan-Flagler
Tepper
UCLA

What do you think? Feel free to be as critical as you like in your evaluations.

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 257 [0], given: 0

Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 14:11
Thanks for sharing your profile. You have some nice elements to your profile with a solid academic background and very strong work experience and good ECs. Given the schools you are targeting and your demo you should probably retake your GMAT to get in the range you listed because with the exception of Tepper your GMAT will be below the avg at these schools. Hit those target GMAT numbers and you should be good to go

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Affiliations: 99colleges.com

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Schools: Wharton

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2017, 20:29
Hi skysailor,

I think you’ve a strong, differentiated professional profile, which forms the core of your application. Although I’m not an expert in your industry, I get the feeling that you would have more (compared to business/ management consulting) instances of tangible outcomes for your clients as a result of your recommendations. Setting up in-house Center of Excellence is a strong point. So is managing offshore team.

Your goals seem to be aligned well. Although recruiting in startups can be a challenge from visa sponsorship perspective (I’m not sure what your visa status is), you can pitch your case better because you’re already working there and may have the network to get sponsorship.

Having said that it’s best to apply with a better score, say 730. That will improve your odds.

Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant

Consulting| Contact at anil@99colleges.com for your queries on MBA Admissions

And if you couldn’t make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 4

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 13 Jul 2017, 00:41
skysailor wrote:
Hello

The few school's I'm currently considering applying to:
Columbia
Cornell-Johnson (both the 1 and 2 year programs)
Yale
NYU-Stern
Duke
Kenan-Flagler
Tepper
UCLA

What do you think? Feel free to be as critical as you like in your evaluations.

Hi there,

You have a well rounded profile. Work ex, ECs, international education, international work ex, and a lot of points to make your application sound. However, as suggested above you belong to a over represented pool of applicants. You have a distinguished profile from them and 690 does help you get closer to your target schools. If you can spare time then definitely go ahead and try to improve your score. Else I think you have a decent shot at bottom 4 of your schools. Hope this helps. Good Luck !

Best,

Deep A.
Chief Counselling Officer
http://www.EduSimplified.com

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2017, 13:21
Experts,

Thanks for taking the time to evaluate my profile and for your responses. I've registered to re-take the GMAT and hopefully can break the 720 barrier.

Will reach out to you if I need assistance with the admissions process.

Thanks,
Anurag

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 19:52
I did retake the GMAT, and was able to improve my score to a 720 (Q48, V41). Does this have any impact on my prospects at all?

Expert Post
Admissionado
G

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2017, 23:58
skysailor wrote:
I did retake the GMAT, and was able to improve my score to a 720 (Q48, V41). Does this have any impact on my prospects at all?

Congratulations man!
Yeah going to a 720 will help you a LOT!

Probably not enough to put Top 10 schools in range, as anyhow as a non-IIT grad, who is from India in Tech, even a 770 might not help that much here. BUUUUUT before with a 690, you were looking at schools in the 25-50 range, and now you can look at schools in about the 10-30 range.

So for sure it helps! :)

If you have more questions, feel free to drop us a line for a more full-on Free Consultation: http://bit.ly/mbafcGC

Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Kudos [?]: 1002 [0], given: 49

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2017, 19:18
Congrats on the improved score, i think it def should help you move a bit up the rankings to a different class of target schools, you are probably still right outside of the top 10 but with a great set of essays who knows so make sure to really focus on standing out in your application package. Good luck!

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2017, 19:18

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap