Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Profile evaluation request [#permalink]
Thanks Jon,

I want to study in Houston, my goal is to move from the Oil & Gas industry to the tech industry and I am looking into a Professional program, not EMBA.

What do you mean with how high I want to target?

I have been invited to admission interview at Bauer Collage (University of Houston). Is that increasing my chances?

I also schedule to retake the GMAT, how close to the Bauer 610 average should I get?

Thanks

J
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
jbouzada wrote:
Thanks Jon,

I want to study in Houston, my goal is to move from the Oil & Gas industry to the tech industry and I am looking into a Professional program, not EMBA.

What do you mean with how high I want to target?

I have been invited to admission interview at Bauer Collage (University of Houston). Is that increasing my chances?

I also schedule to retake the GMAT, how close to the Bauer 610 average should I get?

Thanks

J

Hey J,
Well the higher the better as always :) And yes it will increase your chances. It could even win you some scholarship money if you can get that 650.
If you've already been invited to an interview, that's a good sign though.

Best,
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Hi guys!
I know this conversation is from a while ago, but since you mentioned de the FT-MBA program at Bauer, I have a question about it. I haven't seen the Bauer MBA (University of Houston) in the trackers nor the rankings.

What do you think of the program still not ranking? Maybe it is that their employability stats are low, or do you think it is something else about the university or the program?

Thank you.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
catavale:

In 2011, the Bauer Full-time MBA program was ranked 94th in the nation among 437 schools of business.

My best guess is that it fell below the top 100 ranking, since there can be a fair amount of movement once you move out of the top 20-25 programs. It was only 6 spots from that cutoff.

I can't speak to the specific reason. It depends on the exact criteria and weighting system used by U.S. news. It also just possible that Bauer did nothing wrong but the other schools below it just moved up ahead of it.

If you are interested in the program, I would give it a shot and not worry so much about the exact number. My guess is if you are comfortable staying in Houston/Texas, you will still be able to recruit successfully. Location matters. Beyond that, you might have some higher hurdles to clear.

Let us know if we can help out in any way,
Admissionado
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Admissionado wrote:
catavale:

In 2011, the Bauer Full-time MBA program was ranked 94th in the nation among 437 schools of business.

My best guess is that it fell below the top 100 ranking, since there can be a fair amount of movement once you move out of the top 20-25 programs. It was only 6 spots from that cutoff.

I can't speak to the specific reason. It depends on the exact criteria and weighting system used by U.S. news. It also just possible that Bauer did nothing wrong but the other schools below it just moved up ahead of it.

If you are interested in the program, I would give it a shot and not worry so much about the exact number. My guess is if you are comfortable staying in Houston/Texas, you will still be able to recruit successfully. Location matters. Beyond that, you might have some higher hurdles to clear.

Let us know if we can help out in any way,
Admissionado

Thank you Admissionado. I talked with some alumni of the program, and I agree with you, an MBA at Bauer can be a good option if you plan to stay in Texas after graduation.

I learned a lot about the University of Houston and the C.T. Bauer College of Business. This college has a new Dean, and he has established a plan to take the MBA program to the top 50 programs in 2025. That sounds good, and I hope the program can grow in recognition (the whole plan is available at their website).

Also, I hope this post can help future students to make a decision. I got accepted to Rice University for my MBA, so for me, the search has finished.

I wish all prospective students good luck!

Best,

C.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
catavale:

That's great to hear. Congratulations and good luck.

-Admissionado
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts