It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 12:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Nov 2017, 14:04
Hello,

I intend to apply in R2 for 2018 enrollment. Will you please evaluate my profile?

Demographics: 28-year old, Asian, female in Canada

Academic:
* 3.3 GPA from a top Canadian university, major in math and computer science
* High school in Singapore under government scholarship
* GMAT 750

Work Experience:
* 6 internships during undergrad - product management at a major database company, data analytics, portfolio trading at a few big banks (2 years in total)
* 1 year in a big back as software developer/business analyst
* 2.5 years in a top asset management firm, covered passive equity strategies for the first 2 years and was promoted to portfolio manager earlier this year. Recently relocated to another city to join the quantitative equity team, covering both portfolio management and strategy research.
* CFA charter holder and government-registered portfolio manager

Volunteer/others:
* worked with a nonprofit organization to promote leadership opportunities for women in the financial industry

Post-MBA Goals: Fintech – build intuitive and low cost investment platforms for people with limited investment knowledge

Potential Recommendations:
*1-2 current supervisors
*1-2 former supervisors

Target Schools: GSB, Haas, Wharton, CBS, SOM

Could you please help me evaluate what my chances of getting into M7's are? What are my chances of getting scholarship from a S16? Any other schools I should consider or any school I should particularly focus on given my background and post MBA goal?

Really appreciate the help!

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Stratus Admissions Consultant
G

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 40

Concentration: Marketing, Organizational Behavior
Schools: Kellogg
GPA: 3.67
Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Nov 2017, 04:00
karrieMBA2018 wrote:
Hello,
Hi karrieMBA2018, thanks for reaching out. Let me review your profile below.
I intend to apply in R2 for 2018 enrollment. Will you please evaluate my profile?

Demographics: 28-year old, Asian, female in Canada

Academic:
* 3.3 GPA from a top Canadian university, major in math and computer science
* High school in Singapore under government scholarship
* GMAT 750
Can't argue with a 750 GMAT! And that helps the 3.3 also- which is a little on the soft side- but having the degree be in math and computer science is helpful in its own way in showing your quant ability. So overall very positive
Work Experience:
* 6 internships during undergrad - product management at a major database company, data analytics, portfolio trading at a few big banks (2 years in total)
* 1 year in a big back as software developer/business analyst
* 2.5 years in a top asset management firm, covered passive equity strategies for the first 2 years and was promoted to portfolio manager earlier this year. Recently relocated to another city to join the quantitative equity team, covering both portfolio management and strategy research. Good work experience- great to see the promotion.
* CFA charter holder and government-registered portfolio manager All 3 levels? If so say that in application- and if you passed on the first attempt for each exam- say that too!

Volunteer/others:
* worked with a nonprofit organization to promote leadership opportunities for women in the financial industry

Post-MBA Goals: Fintech – build intuitive and low cost investment platforms for people with limited investment knowledge

Potential Recommendations:
*1-2 current supervisors
*1-2 former supervisors

Target Schools: GSB, Haas, Wharton, CBS, SOM
Given that it is very difficult to get into M7, I will call it a stretch- but only because it is for everyone. I think what you have in this profile is enough to have an excellent shot at all these schools- with the caveat being that you have to show that in a very strong application because it is not just a computer algorithm where you input GMAT and GPA and years work and pop out a yes or no admissions decision. The schools will want to see WHY you are interested in them- what professors- programs etc will help you. I think I'd add Booth to this list as they have some excellent resources in fintech also.
Could you please help me evaluate what my chances of getting into M7's are? What are my chances of getting scholarship from a S16?I think you could get some scholarships from some top 20 MBA programs- if you also submit solid applications. For help with the application part- I encourage you to reach out to us for a free consult: https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... b-visitor/
And the sooner the better- as I see your biggest hurdle now is time. To have the best shot, I suggest you look at Round 2 which means getting these applications together quickly. For what it is worth- applying to Wharton, CBS are somewhat straightforward- although do require knowledge of the program so you will have do make time for solid school research. For GSB- the what matters most essay really takes some time to do well. Booth's Moments essay is a unique approach that will not help you in any other applications. Yale's one main essay about the biggest commitment you've ever made is a good one to start with- but beware that there is a rather significant essay-like question embedded in the application itself where it will also help to have good SOM knowledge- so you are going to have to do your due diligence on these programs and this takes time so get busy! Also, most of the major scholarship funds are committed by end of R2 at most schools so if you are looking for funding I would not wait until r3.
Any other schools I should consider or any school I should particularly focus on given my background and post MBA goal? I might also put Tuck on your list and what kind of alum would I be if I did not say to give Kellogg a look too!
A few tips on approaching essays:
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... sb-essays/
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... 000-words/
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... eley-haas/
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... ton-essay/
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... rame-mind/
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... -yale-som/
https://stratusadmissionscounseling.com ... mba-essay/

Good luck to you and please be in touch if you want more targeted help- if you are going to do R2, you will have to move fast to get up to speed here on this school knowledge and we can help you with this! Best wishes to you!

Really appreciate the help!

Donna | StratusMBACounselor | Stratus Admissions Counseling

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 40

Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 10 Nov 2017, 04:00

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap