It is currently 23 Jan 2018, 11:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request for HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation Request for HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Dec 2017, 08:45
Happy holidays everyone,
I recently decided I want to add two more years to my academic journey and get an MBA to earn more knowledge in business and marketing and use it for the rest of my career since I feel I have some gaps in this areas that need to be filled and an MBA program can help me substantially for doing this. Right now I’m a PhD student in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and my research is on Brain-Computer Interface. Other details:

GPAs:
I did both my BS and MS in Iran. BS GPA 16 out of 20 (top 10% of class), MS GPA 17.70/20 (Top 5% of class), PhD GPA 3.93/4.

Work experience and academic research:
- I’m now a research assistant at Northeastern and Harvard Medical School working in brain-computer interface field. By the time I want to apply for MBA (September 2019 for class of 2022) I’ve been a research assistant for about 4 years, will have +10 scientific articles and +1 patents in this field- and have been in +8 international conferences in medicine, science, and engineering.
- Worked two years in Iran: 1 year in a small company after undergrad, 1 year on a big national project for government after my master.

Extra-curricular:
- President of a student organization for almost 1 year now (but probably it will be 2 years by Sep 2019 if I get elected again). Organizing academic/career development and social events for students including workshops, game nights, BBQ, thesis contests and competition, etc.
- Mentoring +6 undergrad students for their final capstone project.
- Active member of Boston Care for volunteer activities in the city of Boston and Cambridge
- Managing a small group of people in a big national technology project in Iran (first hired as engineer but became head of group after ~5 months).
- Representative of a student organization in undergrad (in Iran).

Business/Startups:
- CEO and co-founder of a technology start-up in Boston working in Internet of Things (IoT) field and plan to launch our product on Kickstarter during the next year (It is a hardware-software product).
- Founded two electronic hardware/software business during undergrad but none of them were successful.
- Founded a business (a hardware electronic product) in high school and it sold well.

This is all major stuff I remember now.

Post MBA:
Continuing working in entrepreneurship area as founder/CEO in high tech sector such as combining brain-computer interface and AI, which is getting more popular recently as big guys are getting involved. Or heading toward executive track/CEO in other existing companies.

As mentioned before, I’m planning to start the MBA right after my PhD which is gonna be September of 2020. Then I must apply by September 2019 (in which I’ll be nearly 30-year-old). I have more than 1.5 years to improve my application package. I haven’t done the GMAT yet. Based on my experience from GRE, I’m confident I can get ~50 in Quant. I didn’t do well in GRE verbal and have no idea how I’ll do in GMAT verbal section. My target school is HBS because of its generous need-based scholarships and a few more reasons that I should stay in Boston for 2-3 years after my PhD.
I have no idea whether I have any chance for HBS or no. I’d greatly appreciate any evaluation feedback or suggestions that could help me improve my application in the remaining time.

Thank you,
MZ

Last edited by Genuine on 02 Jan 2018, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
B
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Profile Evaluation Request for HBS [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2017, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background. Assuming that you can do well on the GMAT, I think you will be a competitive candidate for HBS. You'll need to be clear around how the MBA program will help you as well as point to the impact you've had thus far professionally and in your extracurricular activities. If it would be helpful to discuss further, feel free to reach out at https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact.

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)
Bio: https://www.ivygroupe.com/contact

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Director
Director
B
Status: Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Schools: HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years

Show Tags

New post 29 Dec 2017, 06:48
Hello there,

Glad to see your profile. Considering your academic back ground, I am sure you can score excellent in GMAT, your target must be something around 740-770 so that you can target the top ten programs. Over all you carry an excellent profile, it's a time for rocking in GMAT and start working on your essays from June so that you have enough time for your rest part of the application.

Please free to contact us on +91 9980044412 or you can also visit our website www.genedmba.con if any professional help required.

General Education
m:+91-99800 44412 , +91-90350 50056
w: http://www.genedmba.com e: info@genedmba.com

Expert Post
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
G

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 15:03
I like your profile you have some really nice elements. You come across as a career academic so you will want to make sure you’re signaling to them you’re more to that as well as showcasing a clear gameplan with your career.

Also since you are light on traditional work experience you will want to make sure you are framing all of your experiences appropriately. So be confident on your why mba, why now, and why Kellogg. Knock the GMAT out the park and don’t be afraid to open up your school list outside of boston. There’s a few great MBA programs in the Boston area that could also help you reach your goals.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who’s right for you. Meet our team!
Veritas Prep Reviews

Expert Post
Admissionado
G
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2018, 02:37
Genuine wrote:
Happy holidays everyone,
I recently decided I want to add two more years to my academic journey and get an MBA to earn more knowledge in business and marketing and use it for the rest of my career since I feel I have some gaps in this areas that need to be filled and an MBA program can help me substantially for doing this. Right now I’m a PhD student in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) and my research is on Brain-Computer Interface. Other details:

GPAs:
I did both my BS and MS in Iran. BS GPA 16 out of 20 (top 10% of class), MS GPA 17.70/20 (Top 5% of class), PhD GPA 3.93/4.

Work experience and academic research:
- I’m now a research assistant at Northeastern and Harvard Medical School working in brain-computer interface field. By the time I want to apply for MBA (September 2019 for class of 2022) I’ve been a research assistant for about 4 years, will have +10 scientific articles and +1 patents in this field- and have been in +8 international conferences in medicine, science, and engineering.
- Worked two years in Iran: 1 year in a small company after undergrad, 1 year on a big national project for government after my master.

Extra-curricular:
- President of a student organization for almost 1 year now (but probably it will be 2 years by Sep 2019 if I get elected again). Organizing academic/career development and social events for students including workshops, game nights, BBQ, thesis contests and competition, etc.
- Mentoring +6 undergrad students for their final capstone project.
- Active member of Boston Care for volunteer activities in the city of Boston and Cambridge
- Managing a small group of people in a big national technology project in Iran (first hired as engineer but became head of group after ~5 months).
- Representative of a student organization in undergrad (in Iran).

Business/Startups:
- CEO and co-founder of a technology start-up in Boston working in Internet of Things (IoT) field and plan to launch our product on Kickstarter during the next year (It is a hardware-software product).
- Founded two electronic hardware/software business during undergrad but none of them were successful.
- Founded a business (a hardware electronic product) in high school and it sold well.

This is all major stuff I remember now.

Post MBA:
Continuing working in entrepreneurship area as founder/CEO in high tech sector such as combining brain-computer interface and AI, which is getting more popular recently as big guys are getting involved. Or heading toward executive track/CEO in other existing companies.

As mentioned before, I’m planning to start the MBA right after my PhD which is gonna be September of 2020. Then I must apply by September 2019 (in which I’ll be nearly 30-year-old). I have more than 1.5 years to improve my application package. I haven’t done the GMAT yet. Based on my experience from GRE, I’m confident I can get ~50 in Quant. I didn’t do well in GRE verbal and have no idea how I’ll do in GMAT verbal section. My target school is HBS because of its generous need-based scholarships and a few more reasons that I should stay in Boston for 2-3 years after my PhD.
I have no idea whether I have any chance for HBS or no. I’d greatly appreciate any evaluation feedback or suggestions that could help me improve my application in the remaining time.

Thank you,
MZ

If I were Harvard, my first big question would be: Okay so what has he done and what can he do? Meaning with your startups and ideas and research abilities. You failed a few times. Great! No problems with failing! But how did you fail? What were the details? Did you fail after getting seed money? At what stage? What about this new startup? What is it about? how big can it get?

Second vital factor: How fast and hard can you pull your Harvard contact? Do you know any people in the business school? Will you get stellar recommendations from fancy Harvard professors? It can make a real difference.

I think these two things and your GMAT will define your chances more than anything else. You're obviously a smart guy in a very interesting field, and that will work strongly in your favor. If all the other things work out too, well then.. :) even better.

But even with that, don't apply ONLY to HBS. I'm sure there are another 4-5 schools out there that would be just about as good.

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado | Packages | Success Stories | Team

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Expert Post
VP
VP
G
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Farrell D Hehn: MBA

Show Tags

New post 12 Jan 2018, 04:04
Hi, you have done some really fascinating things, and I'm happy to see you've established a "habit of leadership" through your ECs. However I feel a bit scrambled when I review everything together, would be well worth it to work with someone on your narrative, figure out how to connect the dots and maybe drop some dots. More is not better; you want to brand yourself and help the adcom know you as the ___guy who wants to ___. Would recommend you stop and reflect, get clarity on your ultimate legacy you want to leave and how HBS is instrumental in helping with that - beyond what you could get from Coursera. Bring focus to all of this. The activity is great but to what end; time to look within.

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Re: Profile Evaluation Request for HBS   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2018, 04:04

Profile Evaluation Request for HBS

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap