GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 10:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in November
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge
Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Mar 2018, 15:21
Hello everyone! I’m hoping to have your feedback on my profile; any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Personal
Male
25 years old
American with Pakistani heritage

Stats
GMAT: 710, Q47/V40/IR8/AWA6 (only attempt)

Undergrad: Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration/ Majored in Finance with Cum Laude distinction.
3.44 GPA, decent Midwest public university. GPA suffered in freshman year with science heavy classes; I was originally premed and hated it. Switched to Finance and did much better while actually enjoying learning, so upward trajectory. My general education requirements were completed at a community college with a 4.0 GPA and are not factored into the above average. Also, I worked full time while completing my last two years of university.

Extracurricular
Not too much in college; I participated in a few events for local non-profit organizations, but most of my time was spent working. Post graduation, I have been actively volunteering regularly through my current job at a nonprofit mutual health care company; we have a huge presence in the community. Also, I have been volunteering and have organized charitable events through my place of worship for about a year (fundraising dinners, supplies collection etc), and also provide tutoring. Finally, I teach jiu jitsu to kids aged 6-14 and run the kids’ program at my gym.

Work Experience
1 year as an economic technician with the state government; first job out of college. Performed economic analysis on employment trends and wage figures in coordination with the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2 years as a financial analyst at big 3 auto company: forecast and analyze tooling, material, and labor costs across several high profile vehicle programs; worked on several high impact cost saving projects, as well as managed our tooling audit team that recovered over $5M of overspend during my tenure (sounds like a lot but our program budgets were colossal).

2 years as a senior financial analyst at large non profit mutual health care company: more corporate finance work; responsible for my entire department’s month end financial reporting and account reconciliations. Have implemented several process improvements and automated data entry processes. Managed three projects that have had high visibility and impact throughout the company; currently managing fourth and largest project to consolidate our two invoicing systems. Also sit on board of our protected health information committee which is responsible for upholding HIPAA regulations and client confidentiality throughout the company; received two promotions.

Goal of MBA
Kind of cheesy, but just the mere objective of getting an MBA itself has been the only consistent dream I’ve had since I was a kid. I have a very close relationship with my dad, who got his MBA when I was young, and I always told him I would get mine one day also. Putting that aside however, my more relevant goal is to eventually move out of corporate finance and into management consulting, with a concentration in health care. I am also very interested in the tech sector and would love to work in operations with a large company like Amazon/GE/etc. (I am definitely planning on doing some self reflection to focus my post MBA plans better ahead of applications)

Target Schools
My absolute dream school is Ross. I’ve done a lot of research on them and am planning on attending their local events, as well as their VIP campus visit program. They have excellent placement in both consulting and tech, and their MAP program fits my hands on learning style perfectly. Aside from Ross, I’m also interested in Fuqua as they are similarly strong in these areas.

My reach schools are Kellogg and Booth, but I know I’ll need to get my GMAT up for those. I'm planning on applying R1 for 2019 intake.

If you’ve read this far, I really appreciate it! Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Ivy Groupe Admissions Consulting Representative
S
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Harvard Business School graduate and MBA admissions expert
Affiliations: Harvard, Princeton
Re: Profile Evaluation Request  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2018, 06:08
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing your background - my thoughts are below:

- It will definitely help to get your GMAT score up (try to aim for at least an 80th percentile across both the quant and verbal sections). The upward trajectory in your grades is great (definitely what schools like to see)
- On the extracurricular side, that's great that you've been volunteering actively. Really try to focus on what you've done from a leadership perspective and the impact that you've had
- As you've noted, your post-MBA goals will have to be clearer and you'll have to "connect the dots" in your story between what you've done in the past and what you would like to do in the future

I hope that helps - if you'd like to explore further, feel free to let me know!

Best,
Shaifali
(HBS Grad/MBA Admissions Expert)

Ivy Groupe, Founder/CEO
Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting

Blog: https://www.ivygroupe.com/blog
Email: info@ivygroupe.com
Phone: 646.801.5190

Click here for GMAT Club Reviews!

Admission Consultant
G
Affiliations: IvyLeagueEdge
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Yale (A)
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V44
WE: Operations (Other)

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 00:04
tbhatti430 wrote:
Hello everyone! I’m hoping to have your feedback on my profile; any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this!

Personal
Male
25 years old

Stats

Undergrad: Bachelor’s of Science in Business Administration/ Majored in Finance with Cum Laude distinction.
3.44 GPA, decent Midwest public university. GPA suffered in freshman year with science heavy classes; I was originally premed and hated it. Switched to Finance and did much better while actually enjoying learning, so upward trajectory. My general education requirements were completed at a community college with a 4.0 GPA and are not factored into the above average. Also, I worked full time while completing my last two years of university.

Extracurricular
Not too much in college; I participated in a few events for local non-profit organizations, but most of my time was spent working. Post graduation, I have been actively volunteering regularly through my current job at a nonprofit mutual health care company; we have a huge presence in the community. Also, I have been volunteering and have organized charitable events through my place of worship for about a year (fundraising dinners, supplies collection etc), and also provide tutoring. Finally, I teach jiu jitsu to kids aged 6-14 and run the kids’ program at my gym.

Work Experience
1 year as an economic technician with the state government; first job out of college. Performed economic analysis on employment trends and wage figures in coordination with the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

2 years as a financial analyst at big 3 auto company: forecast and analyze tooling, material, and labor costs across several high profile vehicle programs; worked on several high impact cost saving projects, as well as managed our tooling audit team that recovered over $5M of overspend during my tenure (sounds like a lot but our program budgets were colossal).

2 years as a senior financial analyst at large non profit mutual health care company: more corporate finance work; responsible for my entire department’s month end financial reporting and account reconciliations. Have implemented several process improvements and automated data entry processes. Managed three projects that have had high visibility and impact throughout the company; currently managing fourth and largest project to consolidate our two invoicing systems. Also sit on board of our protected health information committee which is responsible for upholding HIPAA regulations and client confidentiality throughout the company; received two promotions.

Goal of MBA
Kind of cheesy, but just the mere objective of getting an MBA itself has been the only consistent dream I’ve had since I was a kid. I have a very close relationship with my dad, who got his MBA when I was young, and I always told him I would get mine one day also. Putting that aside however, my more relevant goal is to eventually move out of corporate finance and into management consulting, with a concentration in health care. I am also very interested in the tech sector and would love to work in operations with a large company like Amazon/GE/etc. (I am definitely planning on doing some self reflection to focus my post MBA plans better ahead of applications)

Target Schools
My absolute dream school is Ross. I’ve done a lot of research on them and am planning on attending their local events, as well as their VIP campus visit program. They have excellent placement in both consulting and tech, and their MAP program fits my hands on learning style perfectly. Aside from Ross, I’m also interested in Fuqua as they are similarly strong in these areas.

My reach schools are Kellogg and Booth, but I know I’ll need to get my GMAT up for those. I'm planning on applying R1 for 2019 intake.

If you’ve read this far, I really appreciate it! Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

tbhatti430,
1. Work Exp seems decent though not stellar; Will need to establish more demonstrable examples.
2. Volunteer examples and roles wherein you showed strong initiatives/ demonstrated examples of leadership totally missing.
2. GMAT on the lower side for your profile. Will strongly suggest reattempting, and getting yourself 730+.
3. Your story will need to be very strong and articulate in order to establish a convincing linkage with your current resume and your goals.

Strongly suggest
1. GMAT of 730+
2. Strong story and LORs justifying your need for a 2nd MBA
3. ECs with greater demonstrable impact.

Pm us your resume for a detailed profile evaluation, and talk to us (free on GChat) to ask any questions that you may have FREE.

Worked in US & India, Located in New Delhi, Clients from World over

For a DETAILED & FREE profile evaluation PM your resume.

The Ivy League Edge (MBA - Yale SOM)
Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/balkrishna/

Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 06 Mar 2018, 11:51
tbhatti430 wrote:

Personal
Male
25 years old

Stats

Extracurricular

Work Experience

Goal of MBA

Target Schools

Thank you for your detailed post. We work with a number of Pakistani applicants and I can say that you have a strong profile and should do well at the schools you mentioned. However when will you apply? It is a bit early in your career so while you could apply now you could also wait and get more experience. Let me know your thoughts.

I would advise you to target 5 schools across a range and then you could be comfortable with the stretch programs. Ross would be a really good fit for you. Especially if you can raise your GMAT even just a bit.

Feel free to reach out if you want to discuss further.

Scott@personalmbacoach.com

Best,
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

Intern
Intern
B
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 08 Mar 2018, 05:38
Thank you for your responses!

Sent from my LG-H918 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Personal MBA Coach Founder
P
Status: Boutique MBA Admissions Consulting from a Wharton graduate - Helping applicants get into top global business schools since 2008
Affiliations: Wharton, MIT
Overall Client Admit Rate: 96%

Show Tags

New post 23 Mar 2018, 01:27
tbhatti430 wrote:
Thank you for your responses!

Sent from my LG-H918 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

You are most welcome. Best of luck!!

Personal MBA Coach
scott@personalmbacoach.com | +1 617 645 2424
http://www.personalmbacoach.com | http://www.personalmbacoach.com/blog

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Profile Evaluation Request &nbs [#permalink] 23 Mar 2018, 01:27

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap