GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 19:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  
Intern
Intern
Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 12 Jul 2018, 16:45
Hi there,

I am looking for some feedback on my potential at certain schools.

* 28-year-old caucasian male
*710 GMAT (48 Q, 40 V)
*GPA of 3.3

Post MBA Plans
*Likely to go into pharma.
*Preference to be in the greater NYC area

Would love to hear your thoughts

Thanks

Originally posted by HealthTechDude99 on 12 Jul 2018, 08:26.
Last edited by HealthTechDude99 on 12 Jul 2018, 16:45, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B
Re: Profile Evaluation Request [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 09:28
Hi HealthTechDude99,

Thank you for your post. Your geographic preferences place a natural filter on the programs you might consider, so the menu of options is more finite. Cornell (Johnson) jumps out to me most given your stats, profile, work experience, and interests. There's a lot for you to research there at the intersection of business, technology, and health, especially with the advent of Cornell Tech. You will still need to execute very well (and engage heavily with the program) to get in there, but your stats and profile do generally align.

(Would you be open to dual degree programs? Cornell offers an MBA/MHA if you want to read up on it: http://www.johnson.cornell.edu/Programs ... ms/MHA-MBA)

Given your geographic preferences and profile, NYU Stern would be the other to look into further. Many folks would agree that Stern doesn't have quite as much of a tie to healthcare as Johnson, but it is picking up some momentum there. Give this a read: http://blogs.stern.nyu.edu/full-time-mb ... ealthcare/. Your stats a shade below average for Stern, but with super application execution (and again, active research and engagement with the program), it can become viable.

Columbia and Yale unfortunately feel out of reach to me given your current stats and demographic. You can try, but they will be reaches. Yale's not ranked as highly, of course, but it's a 730/3.7 program in terms of GMAT/GPA averages. If you want to more seriously entertain these, you should aim to boost your GMAT score. Yale has had some renown on the healthcare side and/or at the intersection of technology and health. Other schools that are known for their healthcare programs are outside of the New York area, so you'd have to consider how far you'd be willing to go.

Please read this for more detail on what I mean by "school research and engagement" and how specific your career goals and school knowledge should be: https://www.avantiprep.com/blog/the-mos ... on-process

I'd be happy to continue the conversation via a Free Consultation: https://www.avantiprep.com/free-consultation.html

Best Regards,
Greg

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V38
GRE 1: Q161 V164

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 10:03
Hi,

It seems like your profile is mostly rounded out. Are you thinking of applying this coming cycle? Unless you want to spend more time on the GMAT, I'd recommend you find a way to perfect your story, explaining to business schools why it is you're thinking of going to bschool, and how that decision would make sense given your current trajectory.

feel free to reach out ⁓

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Jul 2018, 10:32
:thumbup:
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 09:16
Hello Sir,

I have a specific question for GMAT preparations.
I want to do an MBA after 3 to 4 years from top 30 global B schools. I joined Skoda Auto India Pvt Ltd 2 weeks ago as an Assistant Manager i.e. I'm fresher now. I have enough time to prepare for GMAT now but if I give GMAT now will any negative imapct on applying after 4 years for business schools?

Thanks,
Kuldeep Raval

Posted from my mobile device
Expert Post
Avanti Prep Admissions Consultant
B

Show Tags

New post 16 Jul 2018, 10:12
Hi ravalks,

Thank you for your post. (In the future, please submit separate questions via a new thread.)

The short answer is that it's totally fine to prepare for and take the GMAT now. If you have more time and can maximize your score, then now seems like a good time to go for it. It is fairly common for future applicants to take the exam during their final year of university or in a situation like yours. There is no negative impact so long as you're within the five-year window and your score is valid.

The only consideration is the fact that taking it now imposes a five-year limit. The score will be valid for five years (the date you take it in 2018 to that date in 2023). Depending on when exactly you take the exam (i.e., if you take it in the next couple of months), you would typically be able to apply with it as late as the 2022 application season. If you want to take a few months to prepare, it might be better to take the exam in the first half of next year, that way it's valid from early 2019 until early 2024, which would enable you to use the score in the 2023 application season as well.

(In other words, if you take the exam in the next few weeks or next couple of months, it will be valid until that date in 2023, but its validity will expire before you can use the score in the 2023 application season.)

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Greg

ravalks wrote:
Hello Sir,

I have a specific question for GMAT preparations.
I want to do an MBA after 3 to 4 years from top 30 global B schools. I joined Skoda Auto India Pvt Ltd 2 weeks ago as an Assistant Manager i.e. I'm fresher now. I have enough time to prepare for GMAT now but if I give GMAT now will any negative imapct on applying after 4 years for business schools?

Thanks,
Kuldeep Raval

Posted from my mobile device

Greg Guglielmo
Founder | Avanti Prep
MBA Admissions Consulting

Re: Profile Evaluation Request   [#permalink] 16 Jul 2018, 10:12

Profile Evaluation Request

new topic post reply Update application status  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap